Anki Central

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey mehc012, just wanted to thank you for all the information you have put out regarding ANKI, it has been of tremendous help. I am currently preparing for my MCAT (Jan. 23 2016) and I have started to develop ANKI decks for each of the subjects. So currently I have 5 separate decks, but i have no idea has to how I should set my "new cards" and "reviews" section. Currently I am using what you suggested on the first page of this thread, but i don't know if that is best in my situation. I have new cards set at 30 and reviews set at 60 for each section and steps 1 120. I plan on reviewing cu cards for 1-2hours daily + 8-10 passages daily. Could you suggest a setup given 3 month time period. Once again thank you for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey mehc012, thank you again for all of your help!

I, too, am studying for the Jan 23 MCAT and after browsing your posts have also decided to make an Anki deck as my primary means of studying. I have been tagging my cards and have been very interested in using the Custom Study -> Cram with tags option. However, I've noticed that after I delete or empty the custom study deck, when the cards return to their home deck my numbers changed (and I did not have "reschedule cards based on my answers to this deck" checked). I went online to the Anki manual and found this: "In the current implementation, if you empty or delete a filtered deck while cards are still in learning, they will be turned back into new cards."

Which explains why some of my cards which were in "learning" went to the "new and unseen" category once I deleted the custom study deck. I was wondering if there was a way around this, as I find it inconvenient--I'd really like to study by tags, but don't want to mess up the SRS in my home deck!

I was wondering if there was a way you've figured around this or if the only option would be to wait until my cards are no longer in "learning" before I use Custom Study by tag. If so, do you know how long it takes for the cards to progress past "learning"?

Hey mehc012, just wanted to thank you for all the information you have put out regarding ANKI, it has been of tremendous help. I am currently preparing for my MCAT (Jan. 23 2016) and I have started to develop ANKI decks for each of the subjects. So currently I have 5 separate decks, but i have no idea has to how I should set my "new cards" and "reviews" section. Currently I am using what you suggested on the first page of this thread, but i don't know if that is best in my situation. I have new cards set at 30 and reviews set at 60 for each section and steps 1 120. I plan on reviewing cu cards for 1-2hours daily + 8-10 passages daily. Could you suggest a setup given 3 month time period. Once again thank you for all your help.
I don't make separate decks for new cards and review cards...I make a deck for "things I am currently studying" and "things I have studied and need to keep up on". Since you are studying for the MCAT, everything falls under "things I am currently studying".

I wouldn't make it into 5 separate decks if I were you...makes it harder to manage imo and if you want to separate things by subject, you can just tag it.

Members don't see this ad :)
@mehc012 -- thank you so much for this thread!

I had a question about typing answers onto the front sides of cards. I followed the online guide to insert the text box, but the result for me looks like this:
upload_2015-11-25_11-26-29.png

The top portion of the backside is what I had written in the text box (minus all of the dashes), and the bottom portion is what I had originally written on the backside.

I believe Anki intends for me to match up my answer word-for-word, but for many of my cards, I am not concerned about doing that.

Do you know if there is a way I can eliminate Anki's way of trying to line up my answer with the backside (i.e. eliminate the dashes and colors)?

@mehc012 -- thank you so much for this thread!

I had a question about typing answers onto the front sides of cards. I followed the online guide to insert the text box, but the result for me looks like this:
View attachment 198142

The top portion of the backside is what I had written in the text box (minus all of the dashes), and the bottom portion is what I had originally written on the backside.

I believe Anki intends for me to match up my answer word-for-word, but for many of my cards, I am not concerned about doing that.

Do you know if there is a way I can eliminate Anki's way of trying to line up my answer with the backside (i.e. eliminate the dashes and colors)?
There isn't a good way...and honestly, this is usually good because it prevents overly-complicated answers. Your specific one seems as if it would be better suited as a Cloze card...I mean, what do you do when you recall half of those facts and not the rest? It's not a very well formatted card...completely unclear which components are required for a 'right' answer and which are extra info.

If you don't want to Cloze, you can pull out the essentials at the top, bolded to indicate that this is the 'required minimum' for a correct answer, as so:

What is a prosthetic group?

Non amino protein component

A metal ion or an organic compound (other than an amino acid) that is very tightly or even covalently bound to a protein and is essential to its activity.

This way, you could recall the bolded and probably even type it, and it would show up as your answer in green with greyed-out dashes afterwards (it doesn't mark you wrong for typing less than is there).

I suggest making a formatting system and sticking to it. For me, bolded information ALWAYS has to be recalled, or I mark myself wrong. Plaintext isn't necessary, but missing it usually means marking 'Hard', if available. Italic text is never required to be marked correct, but is an extra I strive for and usually my basis for the Easy card.

You could also make a Cloze card with a pared-down version of this sentence, and the full deal in the 'Extra' portion.

Alternatively, you could take a look at some of the custom Note types in my deck (just download it, tinker with the Notes, and then delete the rest of the deck. I use typing extensively and set up my own system.

For example, in my Basic+ card, I have Fields called: Front, Back, AddReverse, TypingForward, TypingReverse, and sType

Front/Back is what we are used to.
AddReverse is the same as the Basic Optional Reverse card Anki comes with at default (never understood all the stupid redundant card types they included...why on earth do you need Basic, Basic with Reverse, AND Basic Optional Reverse, when Optional covers everything?!?)
TypingForward and TypingReverse are interesting, though.

See, I use typing on almost all of my cards. Like you, I found the default system frustrating. So, I developed some typing hints for myself (Uc, lc, #, Eq, lclist, alpha, etc.) Things that would jog my memory as to the format of the answer.
I write these typing hints into the TypingForward or TypingReverse fields and they display below the typing prompt to make things easier.

sType gets more complicated. Basically, if left blank, everything works as described above. However, if I type anything into sType, THAT is the typing hint displayed for both Forward and Reverse cards. The typing answer is now...whatever is entered in TypingForward and TypingReverse field. This lets me put in a simple typing answer for a very-detailed card with extra info.

For example:

upload_2015-11-25_12-46-52.png

would show up as
upload_2015-11-25_12-48-59.png

The typing field expects
adhesins, capsule, pneumolysin
but I will see the entire Back field, and if I recall the italics on top of the typing, I mark it easy.

@mehc012 -- Thank you for the detailed response! I see that you have definitely put a lot of thought into this; I am just beginning to understand.

Just to confirm, in the example note you provided, you never see the "adhesins, capsule, pneumolysin" text that you entered in the "TypingForward" field, correct? Or is there a way to set the "TypingForward" field as the field that is compared to your typed answer?

Thanks again!

@mehc012 -- Thank you for the detailed response! I see that you have definitely put a lot of thought into this; I am just beginning to understand.

Just to confirm, in the example note you provided, you never see the "adhesins, capsule, pneumolysin" text that you entered in the "TypingForward" field, correct? Or is there a way to set the "TypingForward" field as the field that is compared to your typed answer?

Thanks again!
In the example I provided, because sType is not blank, the TypingForward field is the field that is compared to the typed answer.
Here's how it would look during actual review:
upload_2015-11-25_16-23-47.png

upload_2015-11-25_16-24-14.png

This is only because the field 'sType' is not blank.

The way I have my cards setup (if we focus only on Forward cards, not Reverse)
If TypingForward is blank → no typing comparision
If TypingForward exists, but sType is blank → typing is compared to 'Back', the content of 'TypingForward' is displayed as the typing hint.
If TypingForward exists and sType exists → typing is compared to the 'TypingForward' content, and 'sType' is displayed as the typing hint.

Obviously, this setup isn't for everybody, but it enables me to do things like pull out keywords for typing answers. As an example which more closely resembles your own case, consider the following card:

upload_2015-11-25_16-30-55.png

Like you, I pulled out a full sentence with too much information as my 'Back', because the info was useful and copying textbook sentences is easy card-fodder. However, I was able to highlight the keyword...if I can recall 'hyperpolarization', I remember enough to count the card correct. Thus, I bolded that one word and made it the typing comparison. Took 2s, but now the typing comparison works perfectly and I know what counts as a correct answer.

Also, sorry the pics are coming out so large. I think it's because my computer's screen is really high-res, so when I use screencaps they're bigger than anticipated.

@mehc012

I see it! That makes total sense. I was able to look over your deck and I now see it there as well -- your setup is brilliant!

Thanks again and have a great Thanksgiving!

@mehc012

I see it! That makes total sense. I was able to look over your deck and I now see it there as well -- your setup is brilliant!

Thanks again and have a great Thanksgiving!
No problem!

It's pretty easy to switch Note types, too, if you have a bunch of Basics that you want to convert to Basic+ for better typing.

Reactions: 1 user
This program changed my academic career (aka life) for the better.

No joke. I was averaging 60-70% on exams, and after using this program to study for my final, I am averaging 98% or above. This spaced repetition stuff is some kind of unicorn laced fairy tale magic. Why the hell was I so hesitant to try it all my ugrad career? Anki, I will recommend you until the day I die...

I LOVE ANKI SO MUCH!!!!!!!! If you do not use Anki, and are unwilling to try it, you are a fool!
:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

EDIT: I got a bit too excited talking about Anki.

Reactions: 4 users
This program changed my academic career (aka life) for the better.

No joke. I was averaging 60-70% on exams, and after using this program to study for my final, I am averaging 98% or above. This spaced repetition stuff is some kind of unicorn laced fairy tale magic. Why the hell was I so hesitant to try it all my ugrad career? Anki, I will recommend you until the day I die...

I LOVE ANKI SO MUCH!!!!!!!! If you do not use Anki, and are unwilling to try it, you are a fool!
:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

EDIT: I got a bit too excited talking about Anki.
When do you make your cards, typically? (Ie. Right after lecture?)

Lots of posts on setup, but my question is on everyones routine. How/when are you guys using anki - aka do you do a morning review session, afternoon card creation, followed by a review session directly after card creation, etc.? Or throughout the day doing short sessions? I also have been hesitant to try your typing setup, flipping thru cards without typing can go really fast, think it might mess up my rhythm and add time I don't really have - I just have to make sure to be really honest with myself about my answers.

Also curious, if you have "burry related to next day" selected, when you close anki I get them showing up as new cards, not really "next day". Is this how it's supposed to be working?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of posts on setup, but my question is on everyones routine. How/when are you guys using anki - aka do you do a morning review session, afternoon card creation, followed by a review session directly after card creation, etc.? Or throughout the day doing short sessions? I also have been hesitant to try your typing setup, flipping thru cards without typing can go really fast, think it might mess up my rhythm and add time I don't really have - I just have to make sure to be really honest with myself about my answers.

Also curious, if you have "burry related to next day" selected, when you close anki I get them showing up as new cards, not really "next day". Is this how it's supposed to be working?
I do the bold, and I don't type -- 97% correct on mature cards. As with anything else you have to find what works for you I guess.

Wow, firecracker is expensive. He must be making a killing with it.

The price does not justify the value. The only value I see there are the custom questions, but you can get those anywhere. Not only is the learning algorithm unchanged, but the GUI is terrible. There are no keyboard shortcuts. Who uses a mouse? The efficiency of SRS and the time navigating a locked site do not work well together.

Use the $399 and spend it on a ton of questions. Then embrace the customizability of something like Anki. It doesn't have to be Anki even, because there are other, free/affordable SRS out there.
It's about 100$ for a year and a bit less if you do like 1.5 years (per month).

That's a drop in the bucket in terms of Med school cost. I spend money on:
RX
World
fC and nbme
The rest (i.e. Pathoma, sketchy, books...) - well :)

I used Anki for one class last semester (biochem) and plan on making it my sole method of studying thanks to my results. I usually reviewed for ~45 min-1hr/day dedicated and then also whenever I had a few minutes to spare. My rule was that if I had enough time to open a game on my phone, I could review my cards.

This method served me well, I got an A :)

I do my bulk review in the morning, make cards during the day as needed, and then try to do a short review at night. The way that I have my cards setup, any brand new cards reviewed in the morning would be due again by bedtime, and any brand new ones I see at night after making them that day would be due by the next morning.

I know, that's why I was asking since yours is fairly different - 1 120 vs 10 2880. Seems to be two different logics going on - your's being review right away, and the other being first review 2 days later.

I've tried Anki several times but I just can't figure it out, its too much work for the precious time I have to study :oops::(:shrug:

I tried Anki for Biochem Spring semester of 2015 but it just wasted my time, I ended up dropping the class. I retook Biochem this fall and manged to get an A-, and I only managed to do that by re-writing and condensing notes several times, it helped with memory but it took a lot of time unfortunately.

^ instead of re-writing notes, if you use your card creation as an opportunity to study and learn rather then just focusing on creation, it actually saves a ton of time from that technique. Would be easily spending double the time it takes me to write out notes rather than create cards. With copy/pasting, images, image occlusion, I can take my biochem lecture summary sheets our prof gives out and have meaningful cards while reviewing the material done in 30 min to an hour (including time that I spend understanding concepts I may not fully get BEFORE they become a card. No reason to memorize a fact if you don't understand the concept behind it) You literally don't need to know anything about it other then how to type into a front and reverse card, and the shortcut to make a cloze statement in cloze cards. The whole card review/actually going thru your cards I think is almost less important, thats why you see so many people preaching about creating your own cards

Anki is not a learning tool as much as it is a memorization tool. If you understand something but need a way to remember it three months down the line for your final exam, then Anki will work wonders. If you try making cards for terms you don't know or understand, then the memorization process will be significantly more difficult

Anki is not a learning tool as much as it is a memorization tool. If you understand something but need a way to remember it three months down the line for your final exam, then Anki will work wonders. If you try making cards for terms you don't know or understand, then the memorization process will be significantly more difficult
I use making the cards as my learning method, and studying them is really just to keep the info after the exam.
I know, that's why I was asking since yours is fairly different - 1 120 vs 10 2880. Seems to be two different logics going on - your's being review right away, and the other being first review 2 days later.
The 120 isn't there so that I review literally 2hrs later. It's there so that if I see it first in the morning, I can review it in the evening, or the next day, whatever is most convenient. Then it's graduated right away. I don't like having cards in the 'Learning' stage for 2 whole days...I don't need that big of a space to check if I know the information. If I can remember it in 2 separate sessions, I'm good and can go straight into the Review timeline where I expect myself to know the card.

The reason I don't worry so much about learning the cards is that I make them all myself...most of my New cards are actually marked 'Easy' when I first see them, and those that aren't, I don't need to test my retention much and wait around 2d. If you're using downloaded cards you may want more/longer Learning steps because that's where your actual learning is happening. For me, the real learning is in the making.

This is kinda the opposite of what you will see from most people on how they use Anki. Everyone I know that uses it in med school, is so swamped for time, that they literally don't take notes anymore, and use lectures/handouts to straight make cards, and use it as their learning phase. Thats one of the big differences between med school and undergrad, your not learning just to make it thru the exam and then can brain dump, you're expected to move almost everything into long term storage. Thus again why, most people make their own cards (or work in groups, I know a few that do a google doc together then all import), because everything needs to be memorized long term and it's the most efficient way to do it.

And as I said before, you don't put anything on a card you don't understand, thus, a learning phase. If you are using Anki to copy and paste your own notes into flashcards, why even bother taking the notes; the exact same thing can be accomplished in the card making itself. Two birds one stone.

So this has probably been answered but I've been trying to wrap my head around Anki for a while now and sifting through all the information gives me a headache. I want to just jump in to it this block. I'm not going to be using Anki exclusively (for now atleast), I want to use it as a tool for consistent studying and some long term retention. I have just been using handwritten flash cards or memorang to get details down before a test. I'm doing fine in med school so I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, but I would like to really learn these facts more throughout the test periods (for a better understanding and less memory dump afterwards). Also, I would like to retain information from past courses and test blocks more effectively...Its already annoying all the things I've forgotten.

So my idea is to have 3 decks. A current test deck, a current block deck (we have block finals), and a strictly review deck. I would like most of my time to be on the current test deck, then the current block, and then a fairly small number from a review deck. So would I just set my max reviews/day at like 100 for my current deck, 30 for my block deck and 20 for review deck? That's if my new cards are at 50 per day.

Also, I'm not sure if I totally understand tagging. I assume this is how I would move them from one deck to the next as I move forward in my classes. Would it be acceptable to just tag all my cards for a test with the "Course#-Test#" and then when that test is finished I can move them into the current block deck?

Thanks for any help. I know there is a lot you can do with the program but I just want to keep it simple for now but want to go ahead and get started for my new course.

So this has probably been answered but I've been trying to wrap my head around Anki for a while now and sifting through all the information gives me a headache. I want to just jump in to it this block. I'm not going to be using Anki exclusively (for now atleast), I want to use it as a tool for consistent studying and some long term retention. I have just been using handwritten flash cards or memorang to get details down before a test. I'm doing fine in med school so I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, but I would like to really learn these facts more throughout the test periods (for a better understanding and less memory dump afterwards). Also, I would like to retain information from past courses and test blocks more effectively...Its already annoying all the things I've forgotten.

So my idea is to have 3 decks. A current test deck, a current block deck (we have block finals), and a strictly review deck. I would like most of my time to be on the current test deck, then the current block, and then a fairly small number from a review deck. So would I just set my max reviews/day at like 100 for my current deck, 30 for my block deck and 20 for review deck? That's if my new cards are at 50 per day.

Also, I'm not sure if I totally understand tagging. I assume this is how I would move them from one deck to the next as I move forward in my classes. Would it be acceptable to just tag all my cards for a test with the "Course#-Test#" and then when that test is finished I can move them into the current block deck?

Thanks for any help. I know there is a lot you can do with the program but I just want to keep it simple for now but want to go ahead and get started for my new course.
Yup, it sounds like you've really got the hang of it!

taggin is just a way especially if you are moving things from deck to deck to later come back and have them searchable/a way to organize them (you can filter by tag in the browser). For example one of my cards has : UG_BB450_EXAM1, BIOCHEM, ACID/BASE (with spaces instead of commas) so that way I know exactly what class, what exam, but also a subject as well as what topic. So if for example in PCHEM we go back to ACID/BASE stuff, I can pull and study across both classes, or just by one class, etc.

This is kinda the opposite of what you will see from most people on how they use Anki. Everyone I know that uses it in med school, is so swamped for time, that they literally don't take notes anymore, and use lectures/handouts to straight make cards, and use it as their learning phase. Thats one of the big differences between med school and undergrad, your not learning just to make it thru the exam and then can brain dump, you're expected to move almost everything into long term storage. Thus again why, most people make their own cards (or work in groups, I know a few that do a google doc together then all import), because everything needs to be memorized long term and it's the most efficient way to do it.

And as I said before, you don't put anything on a card you don't understand, thus, a learning phase. If you are using Anki to copy and paste your own notes into flashcards, why even bother taking the notes; the exact same thing can be accomplished in the card making itself. Two birds one stone.

I know what you're saying, and I definitely do learn a lot by making the cards themselves, but I also believe in taking notes. Essentially I take notes, then make cards from those notes. It reinforces the concepts twice before having to put them into long-term memory. But yeah, probably not gonna work in med school where the volume is increased exponentially.

I know what you're saying, and I definitely do learn a lot by making the cards themselves, but I also believe in taking notes. Essentially I take notes, then make cards from those notes. It reinforces the concepts twice before having to put them into long-term memory. But yeah, probably not gonna work in med school where the volume is increased exponentially.
Ah. See, I make cards (one slow pass) and then 'Learn' them in Anki (2 quick passes). I find that just as effective, but quicker than 2 slow passes (taking notes, then making cards). I'm less likely to skip information on take 2, or later review, if I use cards for everything, and I already have my 'move to long recall' setup done by the time I'm done learning.

Not saying that method is for everyone, just that if you're running short on time, or taking a very long time, you'd probably be surprised at how unnecessary it is to take notes on top of making flashcards. It takes a while to get used to making ALL notes in flashcard format, but the awkwardness of the transition is totally worth the long-term gains (and may be easier to do now than when time is truly valuable in the future).

Hi, this is probably a really silly question BUT I was just sent an anki deck for an anatomy course I'm taking, I've reviewed some cards and now its telling me "congratulations, youve reached your limit for the day (or something along those lines)" however, I want to review those same cards again, but I'm having trouble on figuring out how to do this? hopefully someone will have some insight, this is my first time even hearing about anki!

Hi, this is probably a really silly question BUT I was just sent an anki deck for an anatomy course I'm taking, I've reviewed some cards and now its telling me "congratulations, youve reached your limit for the day (or something along those lines)" however, I want to review those same cards again, but I'm having trouble on figuring out how to do this? hopefully someone will have some insight, this is my first time even hearing about anki!
Try messing around with the 'Custom Study' options. Study cards by state/tag, as many times as you like...more details are in my first few posts under Custom Study. ¡Buena suerte!

Would you recommend the following settings for high retention? (I'm having an upcoming exam in Immunology & Microbiology in 4-5 months)

Thanks!
pfOcEZT.png

6BbiDLl.png

NK1a8dm.png

Would you recommend the following settings for high retention? (I'm having an upcoming exam in Immunology & Microbiology in 4-5 months)

Thanks!
pfOcEZT.png

6BbiDLl.png

NK1a8dm.png
I probably wouldn't have such high New/Review counts, personally, but if that's what you're used to, está bien. ¡Buena suerte!

Is there a way to insert a table from MS Word into the answer box in Anki? I've been trying to look for add-ons or googling it but I don't have any luck?

Something like this:

Is there a way to insert a table from MS Word into the answer box in Anki? I've been trying to look for add-ons or googling it but I don't have any luck?

Something like this:
Screenshot it? I use the One Note tool, but you could also try Skitch for easy screenshotting. Or the grab tool if you're on a mac.

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

Screenshot it? I use the One Note tool, but you could also try Skitch for easy screenshotting. Or the grab tool if you're on a mac.

Thanks for your reply but I've already considered screenshotting it, but then it's not searchable :(

Hey guys,

My MCAT is in August. What would you guys recommend for MCAT deck settings. Should I have a different deck for everything (orgo, gen chem, etc) or should I group them together like so: Biology/biochemistry, chem/physics, psych/soc?

Thanks,
Zack

Thanks for your reply but I've already considered screenshotting it, but then it's not searchable :(
Yeah, I feel you. I guess you could add an extra field with just the text in a non-table format. You'll still get the visual and the searchability. Sounds like a lot of work, but searching my anki deck is one of the best things about it. Most of my diagrams and tables are in one note as well, so I usually search in there for those.

After resisting this forever, I think I'm going to have to jump on the bandwagon once I finish anatomy and transition the next block of microbio and infections. It should really help keep things together.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I feel you. I guess you could add an extra field with just the text in a non-table format. You'll still get the visual and the searchability. Sounds like a lot of work, but searching my anki deck is one of the best things about it. Most of my diagrams and tables are in one note as well, so I usually search in there for those.

It's not so bad...I add typed answers to all of my Image Occlusion cards and it took about ~5s to set up. You can also always tag!!

It's not so bad...I add typed answers to all of my Image Occlusion cards and it took about ~5s to set up. You can also always tag!!
Some day I will use tags... Some day...

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry, but what is tagging? I'm sure this is answered somewhere in your directions or throughout the thread, but I don't have time to look through everything.

Also, can I only get this on my mobile device with the $24.99 app?

Also, can I only get this on my mobile device with the $24.99 app?
This is discussed in the first post - the ONLY platform which charges for Anki is iOS, and you can still use the online site through the mobile browser if you want to test it out and see if Anki is right for you long term. $20 is pretty cheap for a platform-independent computer program with free online server space for syncing across multiple computers and/or mobiles from either of the two main mobile OSes.

I'm sorry, but what is tagging? I'm sure this is answered somewhere in your directions or throughout the thread, but I don't have time to look through everything.
You can hit "Show results from this thread only" in the search bar. That way you don't have to look through everything, and I don't have to repost!

This is discussed in the first post - the ONLY platform which charges for Anki is iOS, and you can still use the online site through the mobile browser if you want to test it out and see if Anki is right for you long term. $20 is pretty cheap for a platform-independent computer program with free online server space for syncing across multiple computers and/or mobiles from either of the two main mobile OSes.

You can hit "Show results from this thread only" in the search bar. That way you don't have to look through everything, and I don't have to repost!
Another reason I love my android

@mehc012

I noticed that you studied for the MCAT while working full time. I am doing the same thing, starting in a couple weeks and taking in August. I was wondering in this situation, where I will only have 3-4 hours per day to study, do you still recommend the settings you put down as your "current deck" settings in your initial anki central post? I feel like 50 new cards + 100 review cards at 1 120min steps would take too long each day? I may have some time in the morning to study. I would really appreciate your input on this. Thank you for all your information on the thread.

I tagged everything by class, exam (for example, in one course we had 2 non-cumulative midterms and then a cumulative final) and, most importantly, according to the AAMC's MCAT Content Outline. I deleted the exam tags when the course was over. Sometimes I have other general categories within a class - Anatomy cards might also be tagged as Muscle Bone Nerve Digestive, etc.

So a physiology card might end up with the tags:
Physio Mid1 MCAT BS A&P renal

Mid1 I would probably delete when the course was over. I like to keep the class tags; it helps me find things later. The MCAT tags would obviously be different now that the exam has changed, but you get the gist.

It is ALWAYS better to over-tag than to under-tag. If you aren't sure how you are going to classify things when you first start building a deck, tag your cards according to every possible system that you might use. Tag your Anatomy cards by region, organ system, whatever. Once you figure out how your deck is going to shape up, it is child's play to go back and delete tags...just search for tag:UselessTag, select everything that comes up, and hit 'Delete Tag'...then choose UselessTag. Or, even easier if your deck isn't giant, select your entire deck and delete that tag. Or you can ignore it...it doesn't hurt anything to have an unused tag.

However, if you undertag, you have to manually go through every card and classify it with the new tags, or do a series of targeted searches and hope you find everything. Much more tedious.

Tagging is great if you use Anki the way I do, because I tend to make very large decks and rely on tagging for further organization. Have a midterm coming up? Make a Custom Study deck of all cards tagged 'Mid1'. When I finish classes, I dump all of their cards into my giant Review deck. When the MCAT came around, I was able to pull out all of my MCAT-related cards and place them in my new MCAT deck. Then, when reviewing a given subject, I could use the content-outline tags to quickly search through those cards so that I didn't duplicate efforts...I only had to make cards for information I had missed when I originally took the class, or shortcuts I found int he review books. I was able to make a very thorough MCAT review deck in a short/normal MCAT preparation period.

I hope to be able to do something similar for Step 1 in med school (Use Anki to study for classes, tag according to FA or something along the way, use those as my foundation when I get to that point after MS2), but it may be an entirely different beast; I won't know until I get there myself.

So, in reference to my question about what tagging is, it basically helps you organize the cards for later studying? Wouldn't this only be helpful if your coursework explicitly overlaps? I feel like I haven't taken any courses where it would have made sense to go back to material from an older class to help me; everything I need is presented in the current course. Also, for the MCAT, how helpful would it actually be to go back to cards made for classes? Don't you really just need the material from MCAT review sources?

Is there a way to edit image occlusion cards once they've already been made? For example, what if I wanted to change a card (which are now multiple cards) from "add notes with overlapping occlusions" to "add notes with non overlapping occlusions"? Or do I have to start from scratch?