esob

Article 14
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What the heck is Anki?
- In short, Anki is a digital flashcard program that employs spaced repetition to combat the "forgetting curve"
What is the forgetting curve?
- The forgetting curve embodies the idea of transience, which is forgetting information over time. The curve simply hypothesizes the amount of time after which newly learned material will be forgotten unless it is reinforced. Anki's purpose is to reinforce material at intervals that will stave off memory failure.
Where do I get it and how much does it cost?
- The Anki program for PC and MAC is free. The only iteration of Anki that is not free is the iOS version from the iTunes store. Anki can be downloaded for free here: Anki Download Page
Where can I learn more?
- The most extensive place to learn about Anki is on their website, here: Getting Started
Where can I get premade decks to study from?
A list of premade decks and links for downloading will be pinned at the top of this forum.
I have a question that isn't answered here
- That is one of the reasons we created this forum. Please post your question in the Anki forum. Questions that recur frequently will eventually end up here in the FAQ's

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if there are many people following this thread but I'm really really confused on anki lol...basically I kept hearing about certain decks such as the light year deck and people have talked about how they use it to basically watch a Boards and beyond video ans then study the associated cards in light year. What im not following is this: people say there are sub decks do you can just study the cards for the video you reviewed but I'm not seeing this functionality its all jjst one big deck and I can't choose topics or video associated cards...does someone know what I'm doing wrong?

@MD.Loading
Here is a link to the cheesy light year deck for Boards & Beyond:

1. After you download and import the deck, you should have a deck called Boards & Beyond. If you click the "+" on the left, it will expand to show you the major topics.

Screenshot_98.png

2. Next, click the "+" next to a topic to expand the subdecks. I've expanded "Behavioral Science" in this example. Now click on
a topic. For this example, I have chosen "capacity."

Screenshot_99.png

3. If the cards in the "Capacity" subdeck are suspended, you will get a notice that the deck is "finished." If they are not suspended, you will see the number of new cards due (See #6 below). Click the "browse" button so that you can see the cards in the deck.
Screenshot_93.png

4. From the browse window, simply place your cursor where the red arrow is pointing and hit enter to browse the cards in the current deck.
Alternately, from here you can browse other decks from the file tree in the left pane.

Screenshot_97.png

5. You should now see all the cards in the current deck. If they are yellow, as in this picture, it means that they are suspended and thus won't be shown.
To unsuspend them you need to hit Ctrl+A to select all cards and then Ctrl+J to toggle the suspend feature. The cards will turn white once unsuspended. Now close out of the browse window.

Screenshot_95.png

6. If you unsuspended the cards (or if you arrived here from step #3 above), you will see the number of new cards that you have. Click study now to begin studying these cards after watching the related boards and beyond video.
Screenshot_96.png

Bonus info: I like to do the cards and then go back and do the associated quiz on the BNB site. Any quiz questions that I can answer from doing the anki cards tell me that I am missing some pertinent info in that subdeck, so I add whatever missing info that I need in the form of a few new cards.

Attachments

• Screenshot_91.png
    Screenshot_91.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot_92.png
    Screenshot_92.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot_94.png
    Screenshot_94.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot_99.png
    Screenshot_99.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
@MD.Loading
Here is a link to the cheesy light year deck for Boards & Beyond:

1. After you download and import the deck, you should have a deck called Boards & Beyond. If you click the "+" on the left, it will expand to show you the major topics.

View attachment 331223

2. Next, click the "+" next to a topic to expand the subdecks. I've expanded "Behavioral Science" in this example. Now click on
a topic. For this example, I have chosen "capacity."

View attachment 331225

3. If the cards in the "Capacity" subdeck are suspended, you will get a notice that the deck is "finished." If they are not suspended, you will see the number of new cards due (See #6 below). Click the "browse" button so that you can see the cards in the deck.
View attachment 331218

4. From the browse window, simply place your cursor where the red arrow is pointing and hit enter to browse the cards in the current deck.
Alternately, from here you can browse other decks from the file tree in the left pane.

View attachment 331222

5. You should now see all the cards in the current deck. If they are yellow, as in this picture, it means that they are suspended and thus won't be shown.
To unsuspend them you need to hit Ctrl+A to select all cards and then Ctrl+J to toggle the suspend feature. The cards will turn white once unsuspended. Now close out of the browse window.

View attachment 331220

6. If you unsuspended the cards (or if you arrived here from step #3 above), you will see the number of new cards that you have. Click study now to begin studying these cards after watching the related boards and beyond video.
View attachment 331221

Bonus info: I like to do the cards and then go back and do the associated quiz on the BNB site. Any quiz questions that I can answer from doing the anki cards tell me that I am missing some pertinent info in that subdeck, so I add whatever missing info that I need in the form of a few new cards.

Thank you x100000!

Reactions: 1 user