Anki in the Time of P/F

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanIBeAnonymous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please appreciate my "Love in the Time of Cholera" reference.

Okay, so, with Step 1 going P/F I was hoping to get some feedback on how people plan to use Anki. I'm an incoming M1. Before the announcement my approach was going to be to use the Anking deck, unsuspend cards as I go, and keep them unsuspended from block to block. This way I'd be able to rock my class exams, but still be reviewing cards from previous blocks to retain as much info as possible for Step 1.

With Step 1 going P/F, do people plan to resuspend cards when they finish a block to lessen their anki workload? I imagine class ranking may become slightly more important, and that extra time can be used to squeeze some drops out of killing class exams block by block. Or is this a silly idea and I'll be shooting myself in the foot and "wasting" the long-term retention purposes of Anki.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
If you're planning on doing Anki regardless, don't suspend cards after blocks. Just keep up with them

That said, Anki in M1 is huge waste of time now with P/F step 1. shadow/connect with the specialty you want to go into and do research

If you're planning on doing Anki regardless, don't suspend cards after blocks. Just keep up with them

That said, Anki in M1 is huge waste of time now with P/F step 1. shadow/connect with the specialty you want to go into and do research

Por que no los dos?

I don't see it really as a waste of time since it's an effective form of studying, and I'm going to be studying anyways no? I should be able to manage the time of doing both.

Put solid advice either way, I do plan to hit the ground running with research. I know R and hope to put it to good use haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

What? No it’s not. How is it a huge waste of time? It’s a learning tool that is extremely effective. You still have to pass step and med school. Why would you not use something that has demonstrable effectiveness?

Reactions: 8 users
What? No it’s not. How is it a huge waste of time? It’s a learning tool that is extremely effective. You still have to pass step and med school. Why would you not use something that has demonstrable effectiveness?

How do you personally feel about my question - using Anki block by block, or using it as it's intended for the longterm? Like you said, we still need to prepare for Step 1 but for the vast majority of people doing well in your classes + dedicated is enough to just pass (given the requirements for passing aren't changed). Do you think it's worth to still chug through more cards a day for Step 1 prep, or resuspend and focus on classes block by block?

Mind you in my scenario it's a "P/F" curriculum but there is still an internal ranking that is important for AOA nomination.

How do you personally feel about my question - using Anki block by block, or using it as it's intended for the longterm? Like you said, we still need to prepare for Step 1 but for the vast majority of people doing well in your classes + dedicated is enough to just pass (given the requirements for passing aren't changed). Do you think it's worth to still chug through more cards a day for Step 1 prep, or resuspend and focus on classes block by block?

Mind you in my scenario it's a "P/F" curriculum but there is still an internal ranking that is important for AOA nomination.

I use it block by block. I don’t keep up with the reviews after each block is done. Plenty of people do it that way and score great. My dedicated is 6 weeks plus I have 3 weeks of leave leading into it, so I feel like I’ll have plenty of time to refresh things.

Reactions: 2 users
I think ANKI is still a great way to learn. However, one of the things that kept me going when my fingertips were bleeding was thinking about how much a great score would keep doors open for me.

That's how the game was for our class. The rules are changing for you.

The good thing is now you can set up dual monitors and alternate between reps of 10-20 cards and one column of your data collection spreadsheet for your research.

15 Abstracts, Posters, Papers ===> The new 250

Also, I think block by block is the best way to do ZANKI. I would go through the deck in pieces throughout a block. Keep up with reviews thereafter.

If you use lightyear, pair it with B&B videos as you watch them. Sketchy micro & lol's deck work well using the same schema.

I use it block by block. I don’t keep up with the reviews after each block is done. Plenty of people do it that way and score great. My dedicated is 6 weeks plus I have 3 weeks of leave leading into it, so I feel like I’ll have plenty of time to refresh things.

Thanks! I'll most likely approach it the same then myself, with less reviews piling up I can focus on class materials more + other things like research and the like.

The good thing is now you can set up dual monitors and alternate between reps of 10-20 cards and one column of your data collection spreadsheet for your research.

15 Abstracts, Posters, Papers ===> The new 250

Lmao good point.

I think he's talking about a big deck like Zanki. Like keeping up with it and stuff.

Depends. Do you want to be AOA or do you want to be a step 2 killer. You can totally be both, but it will be a lot of extra work if your school doesn't test you only with Nb

Ah, would keeping up with stuff from Step 1 help with Step 2? I figured it'd mainly "reset" and the focus would be keeping up with a Step 2 deck during rotations. Though, yeah, I imagine a lot of the path from Step 1 continues over into Step 2 [I'll be honest I'm too far out to know much about Step 2].

And heaven help you if you're from the state school competing against the Hopkins grad.

You have to make sure your app pops, and now it'll be research and step 2 (which I believe will be much easier if you anki-ed for 3 years).

And heaven help you if you're from the state school competing against the Hopkins grad.

You have to make sure your app pops, and now it'll be research and step 2 (which I believe will be much easier if you anki-ed for 3 years).

And I'm certainly going to a state school haha. I definitely do plan to be involved in ways that'll "pop" my application - but with Step 2 and Anki, would it matter which way you do it?

By this I mean block by block or not. If during pre-clin I unsuspended for a block, resuspended afterwards vs keeping them unsuspended -> would this, for Step 1, impact Step 2? I'd certainly keep things unsuspended as I go through rotations for Step 2 but my question was more geared towards preclinical knowledge.

Thanks!

Ah, would keeping up with stuff from Step 1 help with Step 2? I figured it'd mainly "reset" and the focus would be keeping up with a Step 2 deck during rotations. Though, yeah, I imagine a lot of the path from Step 1 continues over into Step 2 [I'll be honest I'm too far out to know much about Step 2].

God, that wasn't supposed to even make it into this thread looool. Whatever. Yes, it will help. Step 2 will be the new step 1, not research, so it's better to put most of your energy into that, imo.

In the post you quoted, I was going to say that it also depends on how your school determines AOA and how they test as well. "Nb" from my quote was supposed to be NBMEs. If your school determines AOA solely based on NBME performance, gunning hard for a high step 1 (even though it's P/F) will be your best bet for honoring all your classes, though it's not necessary to keep up with reviews in order to do this. This is because the NBME makes both those preclinical exams and step. Matthew's doing really well without keeping up with reviews (his school at least partially tests with NBMEs). On the other hand, if your school determines AOA from preclinical rank based purely on in-houses, it'll be extra work to study for both step and class. Some schools determine it based on a mix of class rank and step. It just depends. If it was me, I'd still put all my energy into step prep and research. Those are the things I have the most control over, especially since we only have in-houses here. I have a lot less confidence in controlling where my class rank will be at the end of 2 years than what range my step score will fall into. And research is 100% a must for the most competitive of fields. AOA isn't.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I'll most likely approach it the same then myself, with less reviews piling up I can focus on class materials more + other things like research and the like.

And just living your life. The time saved by not keeping up with the reviews is more time with family, hobbies, whatever.

• Love
God, that wasn't supposed to even make it into this thread looool. Whatever. Yes, it will help. Step 2 will be the new step 1, not research, so it's better to put most of your energy into that, imo.

Lmaoooo, that's hilarious, I'm glad I was able to take it in a way though to get your follow-up post. Sound advice, thank you!

My school uses in-house exams, and AOA is partly based on class-rank which is based off pre-clin grades and early clin grades. Seems, for me, I should unsuspend the cards that are relevant and useful for class exams, and make cards as needed, but then suspend them after that block is over as keeping up with them while beneficial to Step 1 wont matter too much since it's P/F, and I can use that extra time for things such as research.

If I'm interpreting this correctly haha.

EDIT: Your second post though gives good reason to keep reviewing as well. Also, my school follows a traditional curriculum so the physio I learn M1 is important for path M2, so keeping those reviews going would also be beneficial to me.

Last edited:
And I'm certainly going to a state school haha. I definitely do plan to be involved in ways that'll "pop" my application - but with Step 2 and Anki, would it matter which way you do it?

By this I mean block by block or not. If during pre-clin I unsuspended for a block, resuspended afterwards vs keeping them unsuspended -> would this, for Step 1, impact Step 2? I'd certainly keep things unsuspended as I go through rotations for Step 2 but my question was more geared towards preclinical knowledge.

Thanks!

I mean, think about it. Everyone's going to be gunning hard for a high step 2 now. If you want to maximize your chances of smashing it, I believe you have to be willing to do what few are willing to do, unless you're a genius or a master test taker. You don't necessarily have to do it that way (keeping the decks unsuspended). You can do qbanks instead. The main thing is to find a way to keep reviewing what you learned from the very beginning of med school. That's spaced repetition, and I believe that'll serve you well for step 2.

I mean, think about it. Everyone's going to be gunning hard for a high step 2 now. If you want to maximize your chances of smashing it, I believe you have to be willing to do what few are willing to do, unless you're a genius or a master test taker. You don't necessarily have to do it that way (keeping the decks unsuspended). You can do qbanks instead. The main thing is to find a way to keep reviewing what you learned from the very beginning of med school. That's spaced repetition, and I believe that'll serve you well for step 2.

Final question while I have people here. Default max interview for reviews is "99999." I know a lot of people keep it like that, some shorten it to say 3 or 6 months. Frankly I'd think that's crazy, reviews would pile too high, curious what you and others have it set as.

Lmaoooo, that's hilarious, I'm glad I was able to take it in a way though to get your follow-up post. Sound advice, thank you!

My school uses in-house exams, and AOA is partly based on class-rank which is based off pre-clin grades and early clin grades. Seems, for me, I should unsuspend the cards that are relevant and useful for class exams, and make cards as needed, but then suspend them after that block is over as keeping up with them while beneficial to Step 1 wont matter too much since it's P/F, and I can use that extra time for things such as research.

If I'm interpreting this correctly haha.
EDIT: Your second post though bares credence to keep reviewing as well.

So to make it short and to the point, what are your goals? Do you want a high step 2 at all costs? AOA? Or both? I'll tell you what I would do based on your answer.

Last edited:
  • Love
So to make it short and to the point, what are your goals? Do you want a high step 2 at all a costs? AOA? Or both? I'll tell you what I would do based on your answer.

I figured if I'm going in, may as well shoot for the stars - at least if I miss I get a decent view of the clouds... or something like that.

So yes, both AOA and killer Step 2. While this may not change much, I'm a great standardized exam taker (99-100th percentile on exams like the ACT/SAT/MCAT) and so I think that's where I shine and hope to capitalize on that.

• Love
I figured if I'm going in, may as well shoot for the stars - at least if I miss I get a decent view of the clouds... or something like that.

So yes, both AOA and killer Step 2. While this may not change much, I'm a great standardized exam taker (99-100th percentile on exams like the ACT/SAT/MCAT) and so I think that's where I shine and hope to capitalize on that.

Boy are you in for a heckuva time, lol. Kill step 2? Gun like step is still scored and do Zanki (keep up with reviews from past blocks) + multiple qbanks. AOA? Memorize the crap out of your school lectures and ask your AOA upperclassmen for advice on how they did it, what to focus on, etc. Also ask them how to "play the game" for M3, like which sites and preceptors to avoid, who gives out honors like candy, etc. Depending on how clinical grades are determined (mainly based on evals and shelf scores), you may be able to still honor if you underperform in one or the other.

• Love
Boy are you in for a heckuva time, lol. Kill step 2? Gun like step is still scored and do Zanki (keep up with reviews from past blocks) + multiple qbanks. AOA? Memorize the crap out of your school lectures and ask your AOA upperclassmen for advice on how they did it, what to focus on, etc. Also ask them how to "play the game" for M3, like which sites and preceptors to avoid, who gives out honors like candy, etc. Depending on how clinical grades are determined (mainly based on evals and shelf scores), you may be able to still honor if you underperform in one or the other.

Awesome! That's exactly what I wanted to hear, time to get my ass beat. Thanks again man.

I’d still do it the same way for systems that is popular now. I’m studying for step 2 and a lot of its very relevant. Immuno, cell bio, and biochem, micro virulence factors, and pharm moa take a backseat of course.

Also, we don’t know exactly when it’s going p/f. Would kinda suck to not prioritize it to find out they push it back a year in December 2021.

This is so depressing.

It'd suck if research is the new 250 because top schools would demolish everyone given their massive resources, connections and infrastructure. People from top schools would be churning out high impact papers that'd get PDs to fall for them (on top of the school name).

Maybe not a huge waste of time but doing something like Zanki is too much now. I'd definitely do Sketchy micro/pharm decks, I don't know much about the smaller decks but no way doing cards to memorize something like the functions of histones is a good use of time anymore

Yeah, I noticed that most of the people that don't keep up with reviews that end up smashing it take it after M3. I think that seeing the pathology in M3 makes a big difference, plus you're building a good foundation by killing your NBMEs. From what I've seen, just a quick review of the basic science stuff (biochem and the like) at the end of M3, and people are usually good to go.

Decks for pharm and micro will serve you well regardless. It's a good way to learn them since the names and MOA/virulance factors are kind of random

Also for you gunner m1s going for surgical subs, one thing that I believe can go a long way is to use opportunities from day 1 to figure out how to do a quick chart review, see patients in clinic, and give a good presentation.

Once you get this down you can ask attendings in the surgical subspecialty that you're interested in if you can attend their clinic (pre-op / post-op pts). Then you can show off your clinic skills and build a relationship with those attendings early on, so that when you get the m3/m4 year they already know you / like you.

Also if you shine in clinic and show interest early on those attendings will likely offer you easy chart reviews / papers to get your name on.

Maybe not a huge waste of time but doing something like Zanki is too much now. I'd definitely do Sketchy micro/pharm decks, I don't know much about the smaller decks but no way doing cards to memorize something like the functions of histones is a good use of time anymore

No way. I use lightyear exclusively and I've honored my whole M1 year. I just don't keep up with the reviews. If you're specifically talking about keeping up with the reviews after each block is over, then yeah I totally agree. But zanki or lightyear are clutch if your school uses NBME.

• Wow
I just suspend the low yield.

There are so many things you need to see a dozen times to make stick.

Oh, I also, at the end of every night, suspend all buried cards.Saves like 4000+ of redundancy.

This is so depressing.
It'd suck if research is the new 250 because top schools would demolish everyone given their massive resources, connections and infrastructure. People from top schools would be churning out high impact papers that'd get PDs to fall for them (on top of the school name).

I'd say the new 250 is a 270 step 2. Anecdotally and according to surveys, every PD is saying step 2 will just take its place. However, the rest of your app is going to matter more, with no way to redeem yourself from a sub-par step score.

That's exactly the point.

Enjoy all the top residencies becoming a Harvard/Yale/Stanford orgy.

Meanwhile, at the state school....

..."So we got, eh let's see, family medicine in Nebraska; how's that sound?"

That's exactly the point.

Enjoy all the top residencies becoming a Harvard/Yale/Stanford orgy.

Meanwhile, at the state school....

..."So we got, eh let's see, family medicine in Nebraska; how's that sound?"

My point was that it won't be only research that will allow you to break into the most competitive fields.The same goes for being from a top school. For all the non-elite kids, it'll still be step, just like it always has, except it'll be step 2 with no room for screwing up or having a bad day.

OP, your title is inspiring the humorous side of me. Anki in the Time of Cholera great book. Highly recommend it. People are running to the bathroom to read it.

Ok, I'll see myself out.

OP, your title is inspiring the humorous side of me. Anki in the Time of Cholera great book. Highly recommend it. People are running to the bathroom to read it.

Ok, I'll see myself out.
Glad someone appreciated my reference haha, but also -

Anki in the Time of COVID* ftfy :p

@Matthew9Thirtyfive do you mean that after a block is done you suspend them again? I've been sorting through Anki tips to try out, and this technique looks to be something that might work for me (incoming MS1). I have little interest in keeping up with 10,000+ cards lol

@Matthew9Thirtyfive do you mean that after a block is done you suspend them again? I've been sorting through Anki tips to try out, and this technique looks to be something that might work for me (incoming MS1). I have little interest in keeping up with 10,000+ cards lol

I mean lightyear is separated by systems and so is Zanki, so I just do the system I’m in and finish it by the exam. When the block is over I just stop doing those reviews. You could suspend them if you want, but I don’t really care if I see 1000+ cards to do on the main screen lol. I just only do the reviews for the block I’m in.

I mean lightyear is separated by systems and so is Zanki, so I just do the system I’m in and finish it by the exam. When the block is over I just stop doing those reviews. You could suspend them if you want, but I don’t really care if I see 1000+ cards to do on the main screen lol. I just only do the reviews for the block I’m in.

Lol good point, and now that I think of it I never cared about the number of review cards due either when I used Anki in undergrad. Also good to know that Zanki and other decks are organized into systems, I've just begun watching the Anking YouTube videos on how to utilize Anki in medical school.

Lol good point, and now that I think of it I never cared about the number of review cards due either when I used Anki in undergrad. Also good to know that Zanki and other decks are organized into systems, I've just begun watching the Anking YouTube videos on how to utilize Anki in medical school.

Some people do fancy stuff with it. I don’t. I just use it. I don’t suspend and unsuspend cards or anything. I just calculate how many cards I need to get done each day to finish before the exam and then do that many every day lol.

Some people do fancy stuff with it. I don’t. I just use it. I don’t suspend and unsuspend cards or anything. I just calculate how many cards I need to get done each day to finish before the exam and then do that many every day lol.

How do you pick which cards to do? Do you link it up with class stuff or board n beyond or straight up just randomly pick however many news and learn them?

I have it on random.

Are you using lightyear or cheesy lightyear? I downloaded the cheesy lightyear deck but it seemed like the tagging system was different, and I couldn't figure out which cards went with which BnB videos, so I ended up deleting it and re-downloading the original LY deck.

Are you using lightyear or cheesy lightyear? I downloaded the cheesy lightyear deck but it seemed like the tagging system was different, and I couldn't figure out which cards went with which BnB videos, so I ended up deleting it and re-downloading the original LY deck.

Cheesy lightyear. I didn’t start using it until GI, and I thought it was pretty clearly tagged for GI and heme. But like I said, I just have it on random so I don’t care if I can tell which video each card goes with.