Anki settings, but just to pass?

Allosteopath

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not going to lie, I dread doing hundreds sometimes thousands of class related cards every day, and I think I've realized that just to pass my in house exams, for me the typical settings seem like extra-ordinary overkill. Sure, I'm doing well, but I really just want to make some more time for myself. I just feel like I would like to clear some time to look at other materials and read textbooks rather than just hit that space bar.

So I ask, for all of you who decided to set up their anki in a way just to get consistent passing grades, what did you do for your settings?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want the in-depth version of why my settings are what they are, you should check out this video:

Otherwise, if you just want to smash the spacebar and win, copy these settings and enjoy thrashing your classmates who are doing 1k reviews daily by doing 300 reviews daily using your spare time to do something you enjoy.

Screenshot_84.png

Screenshot_85.png

Screenshot_86.png

Screenshot_87.png

Reactions: 1 user
Try to actually understand what the settings mean and then you can tweak certain decks to what you want/need. My anatomy decks are closer to the standard Anki settings, and my Anking and normal lecture cards are more similar to what @esob has for settings

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want the in-depth version of why my settings are what they are, you should check out this video:

Otherwise, if you just want to smash the spacebar and win, copy these settings and enjoy thrashing your classmates who are doing 1k reviews daily by doing 300 reviews daily using your spare time to do something you enjoy.

View attachment 331637

View attachment 331638

View attachment 331639

View attachment 331640

I never even reached whatever my new and review limits were. I did whatever I got done in whatever my allotted amount of time was. Maybe an hour per subject then I moved on to the next one, no matter how little or much I actually got through.

View attachment 331637

View attachment 331638

View attachment 331639

View attachment 331640

What’s the advantage of making a new card stay ‘new’ for several days rather than letting it grow into a ‘review’ card the next day?

What’s the advantage of making a new card stay ‘new’ for several days rather than letting it grow into a ‘review’ card the next day?
It helps you avoid “ease hell” a card in the learning phase won’t lose ease if you click again or hard, as soon as it is graduated it will.

The video I posted explains it but the tldr is that when a card grows into review status but you haven't in reality learned it well, when you mark it as missed in subsequent reviews it gets stuck in review hell, and you'll continue seeing it more frequently than you actually need to. When you multiply this effect with the desired true retention rate of 80-90%, anki begins to lose efficiency over time that grows exponentially.

If instead, you give yourself more time to keep the card out of review status until you have actually learned it, that card will end up being shown at the appropriate intervals and you will find that over time you have fewer reviews and a more accurate true retention rate. An accurate true retention rate then helps to ensure that your cards are neither too difficult nor too easy.

Man though easy interval 24 days? If I knew a card that well I would probably just suspend it!

I never even reached whatever my new and review limits were. I did whatever I got done in whatever my allotted amount of time was. Maybe an hour per subject then I moved on to the next one, no matter how little or much I actually got through.

I take this approach with content in general. At the beginning of a block I list out all the topics, associated boards and beyond/RX videos and any other resources I plan to use for the section (ie, sketchy). Then I prioritize that content based on what I know has historically yielded the most questions and essentially decide what I'm NOT going to get through. If, by some stroke of luck, I do get through all of the content, then great. But, I've learned to accept that there is too much material overall to still have a life and cover everything.

View attachment 331637

View attachment 331638

View attachment 331639

View attachment 331640

Is a max interval of 78 days effective? I've seen people leave it as infinite or like 5-6 months.

Is a max interval of 78 days effective? I've seen people leave it as infinite or like 5-6 months.

I wanted to see cards about every 3 months just to make sure I knew them. Honestly, once I've matured a card to that interval it only takes a millisecond to review it and it helps you catch the stuff that you thought you knew but didn't. That being said, there is no right answer, it really is up to your own preferences. The longer the interval, the fewer reviews you will have piled up but also the greater chance that you might forget something. Given that step is now P/F, I might opt for a longer interval if I were just starting out.