annoyed with LOE tardiness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

left high n dry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey anyone out there that has horror stories with their LOE? Mine took about 3 and a half months to get written and submitted. I should have planned better though, but its still frustrating, i guess there's always next year. =T

Members don't see this ad.

I feel your pain. I didn't have a committee letter available to me and I needed a third LOE for several of the schools to which I applied. So I asked one of my profs for a letter in June, he knew me pretty well from class because I had taken him for two different bio classes. Well it turns out he did not submit the letter until the last week in October (even after a gentle reminder at the beginning of August), and AADSAS sent it out in the middle of Novermber! So I am just now starting to get some interview invites from those schools which required three letters.

I asked my Organic teacher to write one (my school doesn't have a comittee so 2 science and 1 nonscience are considered instead) in April and he didn't turn it in until almost the middle of September. It's true that LOE's do not hold up your AADSAS application, however what people do not realize is that a lot of schools will not review your application until all of the letters are in. I was SOOOOO frustrated.

Members don't see this ad :)
My application was delayed by like 3 weeks waiting for a professor to submit a letter. He never even ended up submitting it and i sent my app in without him. I had asked him 5 months before and I took 5 classes with him. We were very tight, he is just a little absent minded and never gets to writing/marking things. Was a little frustrating as his letter woulda been the centerpiece of the committee letter.

I've had lots of fun trying to get LOR from some of my profs. I asked one of my profs at the end of June and she said that she would do it for me, no problem. However, she told me she wouldn't get to it until the frist week of August as she was going out of town for awhile and then had some things to wrap up for the end of Summer quarter after that. So after about the 3rd week of August rolled by I sent her an email reminding her about it to which I got no reply. I gave it another few weeks and shot her another email to no avail again so I called her office and left her a message asking her to call me back and of course she never returned my call so I just gave up on her and got a new prof to write one for me. Which has delayed my app at a lot of schools.

Another prof, who I was very close with and put in a lot of effort for her outside of class, told me that I should write a draft of the letter myself and then she would edit it accordingly and submit it electronically. So I did this and then she tells me she cant submit it electronically and I would have to come pick it up at her office. The only problem was I was home for the summer by then and wouldnt be back until school started again. I told her this but after three weeks SHE THREW THE LETTER AWAY because I hadnt picked it up yet. I eventually got ahold of her and got a copy of the letter, which by the way, she did not edit at all. It was the exact letter I had written, word for word!

I'm just glad to be done with all of that BS.

getting the letter out by my advisor was the most frustrating part of the application. She delayed it one month which ended up eventually costing me a total of 2 months delay until schools finally considered my application complete. It definitely gave me a headache.