Annual Incentive Special Pay question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roadandtrail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once you finish military residency, do you recieve the annual incentive special pay the following month as a lump sum? If not, how and when is it paid out? Thanks a lot for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

Once you finish military residency, do you recieve the annual incentive special pay the following month as a lump sum? If not, how and when is it paid out? Thanks a lot for any information.

ASP is in July....ISP is around Oct-Dec...depends when Congress approves. I received my ISP around December this past year.

ASP is in July....ISP is around Oct-Dec...depends when Congress approves. I received my ISP around December this past year.

I had a question about that: are you committed to one year of service from the time you submit your ISP paperwork, or from when you get it?

I could see myself in the boat of wanting to go from AD to fellowship and I'd like to explore my timing options - especially since I'm 5 months off-cycle from most other residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a question about that: are you committed to one year of service from the time you submit your ISP paperwork, or from when you get it?

I could see myself in the boat of wanting to go from AD to fellowship and I'd like to explore my timing options - especially since I'm 5 months off-cycle from most other residents.

From the effective date of the contract, which is usually backdated to 1 Oct on years where they are late. I don't know exactly how that would affect you, being off-cycle.

If you are talking about going to civilian fellowship after completion your obligation then ignore the following. If you are talking about a fellowship while still on active duty you continue to be eligible for both specialty pays mentioned above.

Also, the date of distribution varies by year and branch of service and command. I have been lucky to get my MASP in August and ISP in October/November for the last couple of years.

Is there anything I can do now to get my ISP retroactively? And to clarify, neither ISP or MASP add a year onto your service obligation, ie my obligation is terminated in 2019, I'm not commiting to 2020 by getting ISP or MASP right?

Is there anything I can do now to get my ISP retroactively? And to clarify, neither ISP or MASP add a year onto your service obligation, ie my obligation is terminated in 2019, I'm not commiting to 2020 by getting ISP or MASP right?

You can still sign for it through the end of the fiscal year, however after a certain period of time it is no longer retroactive to 1 Oct and becomes effective the day you sign it. I don't know what that means for next year's ISP. The guy that does our contracts knows all those answers and is easy to talk to. Give yours a call.

Need more info. When did you finish residency? Have you ever accepted ISP before?

Accepting ASP and ISP obligate you to 1 year of service beginning the effective date of the payment, served concurrently with all other commitments.

Example -

My commitment is up June 30th 2014.

I get ASP every year on July 1. I'll get ASP on July 1, 2013, and will still be able to leave active duty July 1, 2014.

ISP is always late; usually the effective date is back-dated to Oct 1. If I accept ISP on Oct 1, 2013, I would have to remain on active duty until Sep 30, 2014 ... effectively extending my obligation 3 months.

What many people do is simply not take ISP their final year, because those extra 3 months of private practice pay often make up for much of the $20-36K ISP ... and freedom 3 months earlier may be critical if (like me) they're looking at starting a fellowship on-cycle after leaving active duty.

The off-cycle ISP setup is a sore point with most of us. First, you get screwed out of your first 3 months of ISP (finish residency June 30 --> ISP date Oct 1). Second, it either forces you to extend your obligation 3 months, or "voluntarily" forgo ISP your final year.

None of which is consistent with either the spirit or the letter of what we agreed to when signing up.

It's dishonest, abusive, and shameful - and one reason I will not remain on active duty past my ADSO. Honor, Courage, Commitment - the Navy gets 1 out of 3.

/ end rant