Annual Review - is this lawful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onmywatch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. So I just found out that my annual review for the previous year i.e 2014 was completed without a meeting with or even any form a communication to me regarding a review whatsoever. I never had any idea that I had an annual review done for that year. My previous annual review before the one in question was given to me during a meeting with the supervisor and after the meeting, we had to sign and all that. What irks me most is that review rating was not a good one. However, this review rating or the review itself was never communicated to me at any point in time the whole of last year. I just happened on it by chance. I am not happy at all about this and feel that it may even be illegal for a supervisor to do this to an employee. What should I do?

I work retail.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok. So I just found out that my annual review for the previous year i.e 2014 was completed without a meeting with or even any form a communication to me regarding a review whatsoever. I never had any idea that I had an annual review done for that year. My previous annual review before the one in question was given to me during a meeting with the supervisor and after the meeting, we had to sign and all that. What irks me most is that review rating was not a good one. However, this review rating or the review itself was never communicated to me at any point in time the whole of last year. I just happened on it by chance. I am not happy at all about this and feel that it may even be illegal for a supervisor to do this to an employee. What should I do?

I work retail.
There are no laws relating to employee reviews.

You should be happy they didn't waste your time having you come in for it.

Reactions: 1 user
There are no laws relating to employee reviews.

You should be happy they didn't waste your time having you come in for it.

I disagree, they basically screwed him over behind his back. He only found out about it by chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not likely illegal. However, not at all cool.

Check your employee handbook, and if in a union shop, check with your union rep. If this didn't follow company protocol for employee reviews, you may have some recourse.

a union rep tells me to ask the supervisor if it is mandatory. if it is, you request you get pay for the time there. if not mandatory, you're free to opt out. it is your day off after all.

At big chains you generally have to sign your own annual evaluation... There is no legal requirement. This is all company policy.

So if you got a "bad" review then what exactly does that entail?

OP, they do this to have documentation so they can fire you if they need to. You have a target on your back. This might be a good time to update your resume and search for another job.

I disagree, they basically screwed him over behind his back. He only found out about it by chance.
Your disagreement is unrelated to my true statements. Care to address them?

I mean why did you think you hadn't received a review? You figured you were doing so well they didn't bother to give you a raise or go over your review? The real problem here is that you "stumbled" onto it, imo. You could have lived happily never knowing it existed, presumably.

So, wasting their time to tell them they're doing a bad job is better? How?

The whole purpose of a review is to provide feedback about a person's performance, and if negative, give direction for remediation. Secretly conducting a review with no possibility of improvement, especially when the last review was done in person is suspect.

Speaking of annual reviews, I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else at CVS. I received an EE for my review but apparently our budget for annual incentive increases is only 2%, thus no-matter what grade you get (unless other pharmacists in your store are really crappy) your increase is only 2%.