1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

anomeric carbon

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by bittersweet008x, Aug 19, 2011.

1. bittersweet008x

Pre-Dental
    I just have a pretty simple question-- what is the best way to identify an anomeric carbon?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. crax

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i just practiced a few of them to figure it out in the straight chain projections, and would try and use the #6 carbon (in 6 membered rings) and work backwards to know that the #5 was part of the chain and the #6 wasnt. there may be a better method

4. LaughingGas

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    just look if they are hemiacetals/hemiketals if my memory serves correctly...

5. jmukid

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    In a sugar if there is an oh (hemiacetal) group on carbon 1 then it is called an anomeric carbon. If there is a hemiacetal group present then the sugar is reducing, mutarotates, has positive tollens and benedicts test.