how many different carbons do you see here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serendipity30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.png

how many different carbons do you see here?

I know you have to draw a line of symmetry (like a folding) but in this case, you have to draw two lines (fold them twice)

but you can't just expect this to be a line of symmetry I guess? (they simply do not overlap)

2.png

This was how Mike in BC explained but I really can't understand how that line can be a line of symmetry..

What am I missing here?

Members don't see this ad.

I was going to say thanks for the input but the post is gone.

I still don't understand how you can overlap the double bond??

3.png

To make it easier, this line doesn't look like a line of symmetry to me. (unless you rotate a double bond but then you will break a ring)

Yea sorry about that, I was trying to make an edit.

The reason that the double bonds inside of the structure don't have to line up exactly along the line of symmetry is because of the resonance. Those two double bonds are constantly moving to stabilize the molecule, meaning no matter how you would draw a line of symmetry through it, it will always be symmetrical.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea sorry about that, I was trying to make an edit.

The reason that the double bonds inside of the structure don't have to line up exactly along the line of symmetry is because of the resonance. Those two double bonds are constantly moving to stabilize the molecule, meaning no matter how you would draw a line of symmetry through it, it will always be symmetrical.

Got it! Thank you!!

Noticed that the bonds inside a ring are from conjugated and do move around (even though it's an anti-aromatic).

Once again thanks :)

Reactions: 1 user