Another BS car/identity crisis post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cchoukal

Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right, so here's the deal. I'm a year out of fellowship, in academics, in a city in which I can never hope to own a home. Yes, I'm plowing huge amounts of money into savings and investments. I currently live in a nice but modest apartment and drive an 09 Mazda 3.

And now I'm getting the itch...

Since I was a teenager, I've loved the BMW 3-series, and I figured when I finally had some money, that would be the car. Well, that time is here. I've driven the 328 and was sorely underwhelmed. The 335i was pretty tight, but still didn't blow me away. Just didn't feel as, I don't know, special? as a $50K car should? Granted, I was in the midst of some other, external, early-mid-life-crisis/relationship sort of stuff which might have impacted my opinion.

So I bought a road bike instead. And now I'm thinking about an Audi A3 so I can take the bike places, versus just continuing to play the humble card and driving the Mazda.

My questions are these:

Can a single, straight guy buy an Audi A3 (essentially a mini-station wagon)?

Should I try the 335i again, or was my first impression the right one?

Is there some other car I should be considering? (FWIW, I don't like the A4, and a manual transmission is required, so the IS350 and C-class 350 are out).

Is it crazy to want something faster than that in a city where you can never go above 30 mph anyway?

Will I feel like a douche driving a $50K car into the parking garage at a university hospital or a VA?

Discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

You could try the 335is which is basically in between the 335i and M3, 320 hp. The A5 is nice, but might not be enough pep for you....Have you checked out the S4?

You can find an RS4 with with under 15k miles for 35-45k

They are nice......

1242046560Audi-RS4.jpg

And fast.

Members don't see this ad :)
G37 IP-L

This is what I drive.

And I love it. Picked it up with 2k on it and saved a buuuuuunch.

2011-infiniti-g37-coupe-ipl-live-from-pebble-beach_100318972_s.jpg

2011-infiniti-g37-coupe-ipl-live-from-pebble-beach_100318967_s.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, if I do the 335i, I'd get the performance package for the extra 20 hp (it's < $1000; can't imagine why you wouldn't).

If the A4 or S4 looked like it did 2 years ago, I'd probably go for it, but I just don't like the new shape.

Nobody likes the A3 or keeping the Mazda?

I'd get this. Saw it on the road the other day and did a double take... REALLY SHARP.

Screenshot2011-08-11at21509PM.png

Oh wait, the budget is 50K. Sorry. :rolleyes: :D

D712

Last edited:

Sure you can. It's not like it's a mom and pap type car. It's def. sporty and could handle your bike.

If I was you... I'd prolly ride out the Mazda for at least a couple more years (unless you have it on lease). You are going to loose some $$$ trading in a perfectly good car.

I got the G cuz I put 210k miles on my 4runner. It was time.

As for your "Feeling Special" on the 335i.... I couldn't agree more. It's overpriced and not as sexy as a 50k car should be.

Honestly... I'd hold out. There are some gorgeous cars that will be coming out in the next couple of years.

Well... there for the longest time I wanted to get a Subaru WRX wagon, then do an STI engine swap... I'm married though. :laugh: Now that the WRX wagon has an STI option, I don't like the way they look.

Considering I'm a medical student that drives a Toyota Corolla that is old enough to have it's own drivers license... well... I'm afraid that I can't really help you. :D

Try an M3. Yeah, you would have to go a couple years old to get to 50k but its worth a try.

A3...yuck.

On edit, maybe a 1M as well. As for bike hauling? Keep what you have now for dirty work. In my experience, its hard to have a true toy that can double for another duty. Its a compromise that isn't satisfying.

One of the things that sucked me into my E46 M3 was that it didn't really look much different than other 3-series cars. If you didn't know to look for the very minor exterior differences you wouldn't know it was a monster. I'm not saying it was subtle, no luxury car really is, just not flashy like most of the other cars in its class with that kind of performance. Comfortable and reliable enough to be a daily driver.

I was living about 45 minutes out of DC at the time, in an area without stop signs and traffic lights, and fate was kind enough to repave all the windy 2-lane country roads in my area ... so I didn't suffer from a 30 mph city speed limit. I often took the long way home. :)

I will say that the very stiff suspension can make driving on crappy city streets a little annoying. It's nice to feel the road when the road's a good one, not so nice to have to weave around potholes.

Coming soon to your nearby VW dealer is the new Golf R. This is an under-the-radar sports car disguised as an economy car. Won't set anyone off at your place of work. I had the last-gen R32 and was impressed (REALLY impressed) with it. Manual transmission, all-wheel drive, will shock you how well it handles, and your bike will fit inside or on the roof. This will blow away the A3, which is a much softer car based on the same architecture. The R comes out anytime now, so check with your Audi/VW dealer. Already it's being tested in the car mags though if you want to see what I'm talking about.

Why are you saving so much? You're a single dude who just started making money, how bad are your loan payments? I plan on spending around $100K on a car, once I am an attending.

I've had the same car since Sophomore year of college, it's 10 years old but only has 78K miles on it... I am a CA-1 I am hoping it will last me through residency and fellowship, and then once I am an attending I'll probably still be single and will spend as much on living as I do now, so if I can live comfortably on $46K a year, I'll have a ton of cash to play with if I am making $250Kish a year. So spending $100K on a car won't be that big of a deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm going to get an S4 next summer. I want to do the European Delivery and take a road trip in Europe. Turns out my job is paying more than I thought it would, so I can accomplish all the retirement/savings/loan payments easily. I'm getting addicted to audizine.com.

Your first impression of the 335i was the same as mine. Very sedate, smooth and quiet, if that's what floats your boat. If that's not what floats your boat, the car is very underwhelming.

Try the Audi TT. Or TTS if you're really having a crisis. ;) Not 100% sure if it can handle your bike though :p

Why are you saving so much? You're a single dude who just started making money, how bad are your loan payments? I plan on spending around $100K on a car, once I am an attending.

I've had the same car since Sophomore year of college, it's 10 years old but only has 78K miles on it... I am a CA-1 I am hoping it will last me through residency and fellowship, and then once I am an attending I'll probably still be single and will spend as much on living as I do now, so if I can live comfortably on $46K a year, I'll have a ton of cash to play with if I am making $250Kish a year. So spending $100K on a car won't be that big of a deal.

lol, classic rookie mistake.

Now, I may be putting down the car junkies here but do you really need a car that costs >30K?

Guess it just isn't my thing. I look at a car as a tool that gets me from point A to B and fits all my sports equipment, simple as that.

This being said, I have always wanted two cars: Mercedez SL convertible and a vintage VW bus. Kinda weird, I know.

One of the things that sucked me into my E46 M3 was that it didn't really look much different than other 3-series cars. If you didn't know to look for the very minor exterior differences you wouldn't know it was a monster. I'm not saying it was subtle, no luxury car really is, just not flashy like most of the other cars in its class with that kind of performance. Comfortable and reliable enough to be a daily driver.

For the ultimate UTR monster

Audi-RS6-Avant-MTM-3.jpg

mtm-rs6-r-based-on-t-4_800x0w.jpg

A 730 BHP station wagon with 579 ft-lb torque with a top speed of >214 mph (the 214 mph run was turned in with the 702 HP tune) and a 0-60 time of 3.6 sec??? Yes please.

I understand there is a place in the Netherlands that is tuning it to 950 hp, but can't find definitive confirmation of that.

If the numbers aren't impressive enough, have a look at this...

[YOUTUBE]e2SYGez_xpk[/YOUTUBE]

:wow:

What a gorgeous sound!!!

Sort of blows through the budget though, especially when you consider the... umm... hoops (yeah that's it) hoops you would have to jump through to get one into the US and register it.

- pod

I'm saving so much for a whole host of reasons:

I'm fairly conservative
I don't want to work forever
I didn't start earning until 35, so my number or earning years is fewer
My monthly loan on the longest repayment plan is 1200, my rent is 2000, and I'm an academic, so do the math.

Do I need a car > 30K? absolutely not, and I totally see the point. It's something I always looked at as a sign of success. As I've gotten older, some of those things I've always thought were important turn out not to be so. But I do like to go really fast and bend hard into the turns. Really hard.

And in SF, no matter what I do, I'll never be able to own a home, so once you accept that, you have a little money to piss away on a car.

Pro, a friend of mine just did the European delivery on an A4 and he really enjoyed it.

I like the TTS, but, having had a 2-door car before, I really like the 4-door.

An alternate idea was that I'd maybe keep the Mazda but get a 2nd car, like a 70s or 80s Porsche 911, or some kind of fun, beat-up convertible to fart around in. Like an old MG or something.

one of my buddies just got a 2002 911 turbo for ~45,000. 400 hp, mint condition. it's the balls. the first time i drove it, I about puked. he bought his in LA and drove it back to MN; what a trip.

I'm absolutely doing European Deliver on my next car. Only after I signed the papers (literally moments after) did the dude bring up Delivery on the my Volvo. And said it was CHEAPER to get through the program and you get tix and hotel...#nicesalesmanship

What a gorgeous sound!!!

Yeah there's no substitute for displacement ...

My M3 being a 3.2 L inline 6 has a very raspy sound, oh well.

lol, classic rookie mistake.

Ha, I did the same mental justification gymnastics when I bought my M3 almost 10 years ago. I don't know WTF I was thinking. But I still have the car and love it, so I guess in the long run the $/year didn't turn out to be much worse than buying 2 or 3 "sensible" used cars in that period.

I'll speak up for the A3. I think its a great little car. I haven't driven one, but I've driven Audi's with the same engine, that 2.0T. The biggest complaint I've seen in the review is the price is a bit high compared comparable VW options, but hey, if you want something a little nicer you have to pay a bit more for it. If I was single (and yes I'm straight) I think think an A3 would be on my list, since I'm married an expect family in the next few years I need something a bit bigger, so I ordered Q5 last month. I pick it up when I visit Montana in November. Hey POD, are you coming to Cat/Griz?

Its too bad they don't offer an A3 quattro TDI in the states. The 2.0T is a great engine though, and not too bad on gas for an all wheel drive car, better than the 6 cylinder and turbo Subarus. If you don't need the all wheel drive, then the TDI is A3 is a great commuter and still able to haul your bike around.

If you want the performance of the 3 series, the A3 might be a bit disappointing for you. Even with the 2.0T its nothing stand out. Too bad they don't offer RS and S 3's in the states either.

Last edited:
3 Months into my 535xi, love the car. I got the sport edition with all the gadgets. I have a hard time staying under 80 on the highway.

I'm biased, so I probably won't be able to answer your question. Since people are posting their dream cars I'll share mine. Granted, they were 50K vehicles new, and I had been lusting over them since I was in Jr. High when they were fresh off the dealer lot. I was just waiting until the used ones came down into my budget range. I'll spare you the details of why I believe this to be one of the most amazing vehicles ever built. :D

Mine is the supercharged black one, my wife's is the white 93 beater. I finally talked her into driving one (she thinks it's weird to have the same cars:confused:), and while I would have rather found a 95-97, her only request is that it was that it had to be white.

They are fun and reliable vehicles and we can buy a lot of fuel to fill them with the money we save on not having car payments.

Behold, the legendary 80 Series Land Cruiser:laugh:;)

View attachment DSCF4066.JPG

View attachment P1010062.JPG

View attachment P1010069.JPG

If you live comfortably on 46K a year, that's great. Do you expect to live comfortably as an attending on 46K a year? I was like you. But when I started earning money, I started spending more. I bought a house. Not a mega mansion, but a nice house (2nd smallest of 25 docs in my group). Had to save up for 12 months to make a nice downpayment of 20% and then got a much better deal on 15 year fixed mortgage than 30 year fixed so took the far larger monthly payments.

That 250K a year goes quickly. Take home pay is probably 13K per month. Spend a little on loan repayment (1000 a month) and a little on mortgage (2000-3000 a month) and you're already down to maybe 9000 a month to spend. Haven't bought any food. Or any new furniture. Or paid any bills. Take care of all that and you've still got a couple thousand a month to play with. But you haven't even saved a penny. And you're gonna spend 100K on a car? Not the wisest move IMHO. The more expensive the car is to buy, the more expensive it is to own/maintain/insure.

Personally, I bought a new car after being an attending for a year. I paid about 40000 cash for it after saving up for a few months. It's a nice car that handles great and looks good. Not a rock star sports car, but it's great for getting to and from work. And it fits my budget. And even though my paycheck is in the 98% percentile of all anesthesiologists in the country, I still have a budget.

Drove the a3 and a4 today and wasn't impressed. Peppy but not quick. Lots of Bells and whistles that I don't want or need. I guess maybe I'm looking toward something smaller, light, tight, and fast. Maybe I AM a 2-door kind of guy.

Looked into the TTS but it's automatic-only.

Kazuma - Sweet pics, man. I also have a love of the Land Cruisers... especially these:

1304138553_land_cruiser_5592581.jpg

A buddy of mine had one of these when I was in undergrad:

1985-toyota-land-cruiser.jpg

Drove the a3 and a4 today and wasn't impressed. Peppy but not quick. Lots of Bells and whistles that I don't want or need. I guess maybe I'm looking toward something smaller, light, tight, and fast. Maybe I AM a 2-door kind of guy.

Looked into the TTS but it's automatic-only.

With that info, I agree with what one of the previous posters said.

Look at the 4 door VW GTI with the Autobahn package.

Almost as nice as the Audi interior. More comfortable to me. Same engine and platform. A LOT peppier and you can mod it if you want. 30K ish optioned out.

I drive one and I love it.

If they bring the 5 door R-32 GTI to the US, that might be an option too, but right now the Mk-6 R32 hasn't been released and who knows what the US version will include.

- pod

CC

Why don't you look at the Volvo S60 T6 AWD. loaded and tricked out R DESIGN package may run u high 40s. I was given a loaded one when I bought my new Volvo xc90 and they were installing DVDs. Lemme tell u, it's not quick, it's fast. Volvo I think still has best warranty out the door of all european cars. (when u buy). 5/50000 on everything. Brakes. Rotors.
Wiper blades. Oil changes. Think of the savings. And did I mention FAST?
That 0-60 had to have been 5 and change. I certainly
Tested it on the open roads down here...
it really may surprise u. Note its not the S80 Sedan. It's a sporty new S60...

D712

CC

Why don't you look at the Volvo S60 T6 AWD. loaded and tricked out R DESIGN package may run u high 40s. I was given a loaded one when I bought my new Volvo xc90 and they were installing DVDs. Lemme tell u, it's not quick, it's fast. Volvo I think still has best warranty out the door of all european cars. (when u buy). 5/50000 on everything. Brakes. Rotors.

D712

OMFG. DO WE SERIOUSLY HAVE FRICKING PRE-MEDS COMMENTING ON OUR CAR CHOICES NOW? HOLY S%^#! PLEASE CALL ME WHEN YOU'VE GOTTEN THROUGH MED SCHOOL, PASSED YOUR STEPS, ROCKED RESIDENCY/FELLOWSHIP, AND HAVE SOME BOARD CERTIFICATION UNDER YOUR BELT BEFORE YOU DEIGN TO OFFER YOUR SO-CALLED "REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE" ON THIS OR ANY OTHER ISSUE ON THE BOARDS? GOT IT?

(please see other thread for background info)

OMFG. DO WE SERIOUSLY HAVE FRICKING PRE-MEDS COMMENTING ON OUR CAR CHOICES NOW? HOLY S%^#! PLEASE CALL ME WHEN YOU'VE GOTTEN THROUGH MED SCHOOL, PASSED YOUR STEPS, ROCKED RESIDENCY/FELLOWSHIP, AND HAVE SOME BOARD CERTIFICATION UNDER YOUR BELT BEFORE YOU DEIGN TO OFFER YOUR SO-CALLED "REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE" ON THIS OR ANY OTHER ISSUE ON THE BOARDS? GOT IT?

Bwahahaha!!!!!! I was gonna do the same thing... You beat me to it. :laugh::laugh:
:thumbup::thumbup:

Now. GET BACK TO STUDYING! :smuggrin:

Bwahahaha!!!!!! I was gonna do the same thing... You beat me to it. :laugh::laugh:
:thumbup::thumbup:

Now. GET BACK TO STUDYING! :smuggrin:

LOLOL. I knew that was bound to happen. RT2MD, go change a diaper!!! :laugh: I was actually going to post on a really specific medical thread (like the Sugga or RSI threads) something along the lines of...

"Well....oh....nevermind...." But I like what you both did here better!

RT2MD, was up longggggg after we IMd last night, you'd be proud!

D712

p.s. OP, I looked up the 0-60 time, 5.6 secs... you have to love that.

With that info, I agree with what one of the previous posters said.

Look at the 4 door VW GTI with the Autobahn package.
That's immediately what I thought of, as well.

Have you ruled out a used M3?

If you live comfortably on 46K a year, that's great. Do you expect to live comfortably as an attending on 46K a year? I was like you. But when I started earning money, I started spending more. I bought a house. Not a mega mansion, but a nice house (2nd smallest of 25 docs in my group). Had to save up for 12 months to make a nice downpayment of 20% and then got a much better deal on 15 year fixed mortgage than 30 year fixed so took the far larger monthly payments.

That 250K a year goes quickly. Take home pay is probably 13K per month. Spend a little on loan repayment (1000 a month) and a little on mortgage (2000-3000 a month) and you're already down to maybe 9000 a month to spend. Haven't bought any food. Or any new furniture. Or paid any bills. Take care of all that and you've still got a couple thousand a month to play with. But you haven't even saved a penny. And you're gonna spend 100K on a car? Not the wisest move IMHO. The more expensive the car is to buy, the more expensive it is to own/maintain/insure.

Personally, I bought a new car after being an attending for a year. I paid about 40000 cash for it after saving up for a few months. It's a nice car that handles great and looks good. Not a rock star sports car, but it's great for getting to and from work. And it fits my budget. And even though my paycheck is in the 98% percentile of all anesthesiologists in the country, I still have a budget.

As long as I am single and won't have to save for my children's future I think I'll have plenty of cash. The big difference between me and i guess most people is that I don't have any debt. So no loan payments. As for housing I'll be happy with a one bedroom apt, but I might buy a condo/townhouse just because the mortgage payments might be the same as the rent. As for food, I love to cook and cook well, so since I don't eat out that often I don't spend a lot of money on food. I'll probably eat out a little more when I am an attending but then again I really love to cook so I might not.

So let say $13K a month, $2k-$3K for rent/mortgage, $100/month for utilities ( I am currently paying $50/month), $100/month for cell phone, $120/month for cable and internet, $1K/month for food (and that's being generous, I currently spend a lot less on food.) That's roughly $4,300 a month leaving ~$9,000 a month. fine save $5K a month that still leaves about $4K a month for the car, gas, car insurance. What am I missing?

CC

D712

Whatever, Hollywood. You probably drive a Continental GT.;)

Whatever, Hollywood. You probably drive a Continental GT.;)

I'm always just ONE SCRIPT AWAY! One blockbuster movie script! I really gotta make the leap into films and
get outta TV IlD! But If I had that kinda bread to drop on a car, I think it would be aimed at something Italian,
Italian sports car... :)

No love for the big sedans???
I checked out a '10 A8 last week. Tight. And stealth, which I like.
thumb_2010_audi_a8-4e24f0662b7fa.jpg

Love the A8. Just not sure if it's fast enough. My boss rolls in that and it's definitely comfy...! And sharp.

D712

Love the A8. Just not sure if it's fast enough.

You want fast.... Well it's pretty hard to beat a Rossion Q1. It will give lambo's, proche's, ferrari's and the like very stiff competition. Outpacing most in the 0-60. Bugatti can take it, but that's 2 million.

3.1 second club. Very few cars can beat this beauty.

104848d1228938482-day-dreaming-exterior_071.jpg

forza-motorsport-3-201005060425421743.jpg

I've seen these supercars go for cheeeeeaaaap. :wow: Like 64K Check it: 2009 with less than 7k miles:

http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/03/18/used-2009-rossion-q1-for-sale-for-64-k/

Sigh...

One day... one day.

You want fast.... Well it's pretty hard to beat a Rossion Q1. It will give lambo's, proche's, ferrari's and the like very stiff competition. Outpacing most in the 0-60. Bugatti can take it, but that's 2 million.

3.1 second club. Very few cars can beat this beauty.

104848d1228938482-day-dreaming-exterior_071.jpg

forza-motorsport-3-201005060425421743.jpg

I've seen these supercars go for cheeeeeaaaap. :wow: Like 64K Check it: 2009 with less than 7k miles:

http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/03/18/used-2009-rossion-q1-for-sale-for-64-k/

Sigh...

One day... one day.

Woah, I've never even HEARD of that car. Alternatively, I guess one could buy a Corvette ZR1 (110K new) used. 0 to 60=3.4 seconds of American made MUSCLE.

I personally love the look of the Spyker.

Screenshot2011-08-12at95917PM.png

But now I think you're in the $200k range? No idea. Could be 1,000,000$. Same dif, right? I think it's the #1 car on the road I would buy with that sort of cash. It screams 007.
Amazing lines. Gorgeous.

D712

Last edited:
So, if you want something little more peppy have you considered the Subaru WRX STI? The design might be a bit much, for some, but its got great performance, you could get it as a wagon, you could carry your bike around with it, and its got all wheel drive for your weekends at Tahoe.

Where I trained we had an older staff member who drove an STI. The first time I saw him behind the wheel I had to do a double take. To see this 60 something guy driving a bright blue STI with the big spoiler and everything caught me by surprise.

Last edited:
But now I think you're in the $200k range? No idea. Could be 1,000,000$. Same dif, right? I think it's the #1 car on the road I would buy with that sort of cash. It screams 007.
Amazing lines. Gorgeous.
D712

Dude... is that a transformer? No doubt a hot ride, but 136k more than the 64k Rossion Q1 with 7k on it. ;)

Dude... is that a transformer? No doubt a hot ride, but 136k more than the 64k Rossion Q1 with 7k on it. ;)

Haha, it does look transformerish. And those doors are gullwings btw.

Yeah, big difference in price, I'll just shop around until I find one with 20K miles on it and call it even Steven. ;)