Anesthesia “manufactured crisis” 🙄

Started by circleK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A CRNA I work with just shared with me that he took a 1099 position at an ortho ASC. 375/h. 10 weeks vacation.
good for them. But need more details like min hourly guarantees a workload.
The $375/hr crna is not unheard of.

My crna friend refuses to work for less than $350/hr independent practice. He cleared 700k with 13 weeks off currently.

I’m not jealous of anyone making money these days. Crna , AA, MDs. Go grab the cash while it’s still available.
 
Good question. I assume they need at least some doctors, and couldn't retain the ones they had. Low pay or intolerable practice environment.


Like any sane anesthesiologist, I oppose independent CRNA practice.

But having worked in places where that was the state of affairs ... for purely selfish reasons, it was nice. I did my own cases, and I wasn't involved with or responsible for any of the things the independent CRNAs did.

The only down side is the schedule triage results in the sicker people and bigger cases always going to the doctor while the "equally capable" CRNAs always did the healthy and easy work. And the instant they get something complex, they're suddenly interested in your opinion. It's hard to tell them to **** off, but at least your name's not on the chart.
Maybe your name was on the chart, say preop free txt annotation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How can you get 700K base since it is supposed to cap at 400K?
There was a 1099 Veterans admin contract. Advertised as $400-425/hr 1099 locums.

But u are correct if it’s a w2. It can’t exceed 400k w2 officially. They can be creative and work in some bonus and other incentives to bypass the 400k limit.

I know the deputy chief of staff at one of the VAs personally. They also recently letting just Va crna pay go all the way up to $325k by doing some “aggregate” pay base plus local pay. Before nurses including crna pay was based on just “base” pay and no locality pay. Than the raise act in 2022 boosted their pay from 176 to 225k

But the aggregate pay is something different than the raise act.

Remember VA favors non physican jobs with pay first

They don’t really care about doctor salaries.
 
Maybe your name was on the chart, say preop free txt annotation.
It's possible.

Someone could write "Dr pgg told me to inject potassium cyanide into the patients right IJ" in the chart but at some point you can't worry about everything.

I could get hit by a bus today too, but some things aren't worth worrying about.

I had no doctor patient relationship, formal or informal, with any of those patients. I don't think my carrier would've had trouble telling any plaintiff to **** off. Of course, even frivolous lawsuits are stressful, but you can't live in fear of those things.