Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Another Chance Me except Im a pharmacy student

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by saayyraahh, Aug 13, 2015.

1. saayyraahh

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So Im a Middle Eastern, first generation, NJ resident, pharmacy student starting my 4th year in a 6 year program in Philadelphia. (aka Im in my second year of professional pharmacy school) I recently decided pharmacy wasn't for me. My cGPA is a 3.71 sGPA is 3.68. Because I decided on such short notice I only studied for my MCAT for 2 months while doing a 40hr internship each week. I scored a 500 (125 in each section). I have tons of ECs and I have over 150 hours of shadowing an internist and a bariatric surgeon. I have 2 publications in the process of being submitted. I started a CPR organization on campus where we certify students at the university. I'm a Lab TA, tutor, mentor, in a sorority, in the Honors Program, I used to be EMT certified. I'm also involved in an inter-professional clinic with Cooper Medical School as a student provider serving the underprivileged of Camden.

I was planning on applying to before I got such a terrible MCAT SCORE.

MD
    -Cooper
    -NJMS
    -AMC
    -NYMC
    -Quinnipiac Netter
    - Drexel
    -Jefferson
    -Georgetown
    -Hofstra
    -Stony Brook
    -Howard
    -USC
    -USC Greenville
    -Commonwealth

DO
    -PCOM-PA
    -LECOM
    -VCOM-CC
    -ROWANSOM
    -NYCOM

Should I even bother applying to MD schools or is my MCAT too low. DO you think I should remove any schools or add any. I'm trying to be realistic here.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Meeehai

Do you still want to apply this cycle? I think you have great ECs and good GPA, but the MCAT is too low for MD. If you think you can score higher on the MCAT, I would retake and apply next cycle for MD - where I think you have good chances.

4. saayyraahh

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I really wanted to apply this cycle. My program gives us a Bachelors degree after our 4th year along with the doctorate at the end of the 6 years. So applying this cycle would save me paying a whole year of professional school tuition that wouldn't go towards any sort of degree if I were to wait for next cycle. I know that its definitely on the lower end of the MD scale but I guess I was just wondering if there was any hope that I would even be considered for MD school with that score.

5. Meeehai

In my opinion, your chances at an MD school with that MCAT are very low, most schools will probably just filter you out. But I think it would be a shame to not go for an MD school if you can retake the test and do much better on it, the rest of your application seems really strong. I knew someone in the exact same program you're in right now and they ended up dropping out too.

6. saayyraahh

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Dropping out of the pharmacy program?

7. Meeehai

Yes.

8. Glazedonutlove

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Not with that mcat (for md). Also no use giving excuses for that score because it was poor planning on your part. Think about what you can do to improve in the future
    Also make sure you can articulate the reason for this switch without raising suspicion about your commitment

9. saayyraahh

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    LOL rude. Its not like I planned to figure out pharmacy wasn't for me this late. so you my friend are in correct about my planning skills.

10. Glazedonutlove

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Sorry for coming off as rude, not my intention!

11. Petrichor1

Medical Student
    If you really want to save up money, you could apply this year and just see where that takes you. It would be even better if you just retake your mcat by studying longer and possibly completing your pharm degree. I mean think about it this way, you only have 2 more years and technically you won't just be graduating with a master's (like any kid with 6 years of education prior to medical school) but a doctorate degree that can come to your benefit as you enroll in medicine. This may not be such a great idea if your pharm school is expensive though. If that is the case, I recommend dropping out and getting a job while you study for the MCAT.

12. Holmwood

Holmwood WOW
    2+ Year Member

It's not terribly uncommon for pharmacy students to enter medical school. You'll run into alot of trouble with the MCAT unless you were URM.

I say spend a year to restudy for the MCAT, apply next year broadly, and you'll be able to matriculate right after you finish your last year of pharmacy school. You've put a tremendous amount of work into your GPA and your ECs already. I think with a higher mcat, you can apply to better (and cheaper) programs. The issue was that you didn't have enough time to study first time around, so I'm confident you'll do much better next time.