Another COVID question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knpnfa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I briefly scanned the first page of threads and didn’t see anything related. We are all going through the COVID issue, has it come up in interviews? This is a highly polarizing issue; would ADCOMs pose the question on your stance to gauge whether or not you’re fit for their program?

Members don't see this ad.

I briefly scanned the first page of threads and didn’t see anything related. We are all going through the COVID issue, has it come up in interviews? This is a highly polarizing issue; would ADCOMs pose the question on your stance to gauge whether or not you’re fit for their program?
Can you please expand what you mean? Why is it polarizing?

Reactions: 1 users
Mask wearing for one
Ah sorry, I am Canadian. Seems to be more a political issue down there. Here everyone from across the political spectrum embraces mask wearing, social distancing, etc.

Very small minority have complained and protested but get called out even by conservative politicians.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a polarizing issue only for the followers of He Who Must Not Be Named.

In the science/reality based world, it won't be an issue.

I haven't given any thought to a COVID-based interview question (yet).

Reactions: 6 users
Can you please expand what you mean? Why is it polarizing?
Medical professionals have been “promoted” into policy makers. Even within the community there is not a universal agreement of a way forward. Does it then become a litmus test depending on point of view by the ADCOMs?

• Hmm
It's a polarizing issue only for the followers of He Who Must Not Be Named.

In the science/reality based world, it won't be an issue.

I haven't given any thought to a COVID-based interview question (yet).
So you would not ask a question on governmental policy in regards to a pandemic or public health issue?

So you would not ask a question on governmental policy in regards to a pandemic or public health issue?
I have been asked questions about public health issues at interviews in previous years.

If I received the mask question, I would personally describe the potential benefits of wearing mask (i.e. source control) and associated studies followed by the minor inconveniences if the masks proved to be ineffective.

I didn't say that. I just said I haven't thought about it yet.

I also think that I would get a dishonest answer from a Covidiot, so I have to ponder seriously as to what kind of questions I would ask that could be a good interview question.

I didn't say that. I just said I haven't thought about it yet.

I also think that I would get a dishonest answer from a Covidiot, so I have to ponder seriously as to what kind of questions I would ask that could be a good interview question.
Sorry to bug you on the weekend. Mask issues and social distancing are not what I’m thinking about because as you said it is easy to lie about that. I’m more thinking what the physician/medical community role would be type question. Something along the line of “If you were to advise the president or a governor given the data, would you be in favor of a lockdown until the threat is contained?” In a vacuum I would give an emphatic yes. However, we don’t live in one. The impacts of the lockdowns are shown to be great.

Would you ask a question like that to establish a non-starter, regardless of reasoning?

Sorry to bug you on the weekend. Mask issues and social distancing are not what I’m thinking about because as you said it is easy to lie about that. I’m more thinking what the physician/medical community role would be type question. Something along the line of “If you were to advise the president or a governor given the data, would you be in favor of a lockdown until the threat is contained?” In a vacuum I would give an emphatic yes. However, we don’t live in one. The impacts of the lockdowns are shown to be great.

Would you ask a question like that to establish a non-starter, regardless of reasoning?
Be thoughtful/analytical enough to discuss it articulately if asked. And if they don’t ask, that works too

Ah sorry, I am Canadian. Seems to be more a political issue down there. Here everyone from across the political spectrum embraces mask wearing, social distancing, etc.

Very small minority have complained and protested but get called out even by conservative politicians.

Really? Thousands rally in downtown Montreal to protest Quebec mask rules. CBS News

Aye, I just read this today. Shocking to see! But it has been the first large-scale protest of the rules I've seen.

I'm sure some interviewers would. The thing to bear in mind with these types of questions, COVID or not, is that they are not testing your knowledge about this policy, that study, etc. They are trying to see how you think about problems. Can you justify your opinion well? Do you recognize and acknowledge the weaknesses of your position, and the strengths of "the other side"? There is no one right answer to these types of questions - usually it's something along the lines of "Well I think X because A, B, C, but I can also see the merits of Y if you look at D, E, and F" - but it doesn't really matter what the letters stand for unless it's something super egregious.
Excellent point. I spend the last 15 min of our 90 min interview doing just that. Well, until Covid and the Zoom interviews.

That's a fine question.

Medical professionals have been “promoted” into policy makers. Even within the community there is not a universal agreement of a way forward. Does it then become a litmus test depending on point of view by the ADCOMs?
There is an agreement for a way forward. Social distance and wear masks until a vaccination comes out. It has worked in Europe so I'm not sure why it's so hard for Americans to embrace.

This shouldn't be a political issue.

Reactions: 2 users
Goro's answer will not change the answers of the hundreds of other med school interviewers out there. I think there's a good chance that many interviewers at many schools will be asking questions like the one you proposed. I certainly would have if I was still interviewing at my alma mater, and knowing some of the interviewers at my school I'm sure they'll ask similar questions.

But as I mentioned, using the example you gave - it's not about getting the "right" answer, it's about how you express your answer and how you wrestle with the question. For pretty much any ethics/policy/current events question we ask, there are reasonable arguments and reasonable people on both sides. If there was an obvious "right" answer, there would be no point in asking the question - like you said, most people recognize what the "right" answer is and give it, even if it's not their actual opinion.

To give a more concrete example, the answer you gave above is fine with a little more detail. Examples of answers from both sides:
-I would tend towards continuing lockdowns until we see consistent declines in case counts, deaths, hospitalizations, etc. and until we have adequate resources built up to respond to the pandemic. I do recognize that continuing lockdowns have significant impacts on the economy, mental health, and our education system, among other issues. I hope we can try to mitigate these issues by increasing access to mental health services via telehealth, supporting options for at-home schooling and education, and ensuring adequate protection and safety planning for activities that have to be done in person. But I think the risks of allowing COVID to spread unchecked would result in a lot of similar issues, if not even more so, so in my opinion it's worth continuing these restrictions.
-I think we should start re-opening schools and businesses. The economic, mental health, and educational consequences are just too great to continue the lockdowns. With that said, I can definitely see the risk of worsening the pandemic. And I think it's important that we emphasize that this isn't a return to normal - we need to continue implementing universal masking, social distancing, affordable testing, reasonable sick leave, and other policies to reduce the risk of spreading COVID. But I do think there are steps we can take to work towards safely re-opening things.

Obviously, this is an n of 1 and I'm a bit biased since I wrote the above responses, but I think either would be perfectly adequate answers. You state your position and rationale, acknowledge and address the valid arguments of the other side without demonizing them, and you're good to go. The interviewer may push back a bit or ask you some follow up questions, but generally that's done to assess your critical thinking/ability to think on your feet and not because they disagree with you necessarily (I've def done this to applicants whose opinions I personally agree with).
I greatly appreciate the insight on interviewer strategy/thought process and the example answers. Despite being 34 and having finished one career I have never had to do a formal interview, a bunch of informal “interviews”. Usually they had non-starter questions, reasoning and logic were thrown out the window. Yay for the military!
That's a fine question.
I hope no one curses me for putting a question into your head:D
There is an agreement for a way forward. Social distance and wear masks until a vaccination comes out. It has worked in Europe so I'm not sure why it's so hard for Americans to embrace.

This shouldn't be a political issue.
Except there isn’t. I’m not looking to have a debate on masks and or social distancing. The real issues are businesses being shutdown, which businesses are chosen to stay open/shutdown, schools opening, etc. But again, that was not the intent of my original question. It was whether or not ADCOMs are/would use a question to weed out people on the “other side” of the ADCOM. Forgive me I’m still trying to get my civilian feet under me.

I greatly appreciate the insight on interviewer strategy/thought process and the example answers. Despite being 34 and having finished one career I have never had to do a formal interview, a bunch of informal “interviews”. Usually they had non-starter questions, reasoning and logic were thrown out the window. Yay for the military!
I hope no one curses me for putting a question into your head:D

Except there isn’t. I’m not looking to have a debate on masks and or social distancing. The real issues are businesses being shutdown, which businesses are chosen to stay open/shutdown, schools opening, etc. But again, that was not the intent of my original question. It was whether or not ADCOMs are/would use a question to weed out people on the “other side” of the ADCOM. Forgive me I’m still trying to get my civilian feet under me.
Im sure some will... biases still exist. If a school doesnt want you because you dont align over an issue, most times it is for the best anyway.

Again, it will come down to how you articulate your answer. If you provide a sound answer with support to it, you’ll mostly be fine. The stupid argument that shutdowns are just to tank the economy to get the head covidiot out of office...well, that won’t reflect favorably.