Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Another Embarassing Problem

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Ginkoba4, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Ginkoba4

Ginkoba4 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, premeds, I was inspired by "Bintu" from the pre-allopathic forum to post my embarassing problem. In some ways, my problem could be considered more serious. I have an overactive sympathetic nervous system. This means my hands sweat like there's no tomorrow. I have had this problem since I was six years old. I've been nick-named, Sweaty Palms. And my palms sweat profusely (I'm talking about a leaking faucet) all the time for no apparent reason. Another symptom is blushing deep-red at social situations that normally shouldn't be embarassing at all. I am worried about this because I want to be a DO and that means touching people, a lot. And I know I will have huge problems unless I am in an airconditioned room 24/7. For those of you who don't know how serious this problem is, I will tell you normal everyday things I have trouble doing: shaking hands with people, using a videogame controller without wrapping napkins around the controller, taking a test without soaking the paper, type on this keyboard and wearing gloves in lab (gloves just make my hands drip). Please does anybody know what problem I am talking about!?!? I know 5% of people have this condtion (I saw it on a 20/20 report once), some of them have to be doctors! Thanks, any advice would help. I'd have surgery to deaden my nerves, but I heard that the sweat just ends up leaking from somewhere else, like your armpits.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Baditude

Baditude Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

We had a kid in our class a few years ago with the same problem and he just used clear deodorant on his palms. I think I read botox injections can help this too but I don't recall seeing anything about it just occuring elsewhere.

4. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

Yes I have heard it suggested that people with this problem should try putting anti-persperant on their palms. Have you been to a doctor?

5. premeddo

premeddo Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes I have heard this as well. I have heard that they will inject botox and this should stop it from sweating. I've also have heard about minor surgeries they do to permanarely prevent this from happening. Im not clear on these so you would have to research it a little more.

Have you just tried breathing deeply...for several minutes. I've heard that the cause of this is cause the supply if oxygen is low thus triggering some type of emzymes or somthnig like that. Making your heart rate to rise and making you to sweat. Were if you breath deeply during the day will elevate the supply of oxygen and will reduce the amount that this might happen.

Research it...I know there is several alternatives that have worked.

Best of luck!

6. stoic

stoic "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

I think you can get a perscription cream that is like 20% Aluminuim chloride. The AlCl clogs sweat pores and supposedly prevents excess sweating.

A friend of mine has the same condition and uses the cream on his hands. He claims it really does help keep the sweating to a minimum.

Good luck!

7. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yes, I have a perscription of Aluminium chloride and it works well. Although I use it for my underarm area, I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well with the hands. Excessive sweating really sucks, I kinda know what you feel like to an extent, but probably not even close to as bad as you have described. Have you seen a dermotologist about this problem? Mine gave me this prescription, but he said something about me getting nervous around other people. I guess he has a point in some respect, but I am defenitely not a person who is scared to be the center of attention. It is kinda wierd, I think I am just mest up in the head or something similar to that affect.

8. BklynWill

BklynWill EM Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A friend of mine had the botox treatment for armpit hyperhydrosis (after many failed alternative treatments) and it has worked wonders for her. However, the treatment needs to be repeated after several months.

9. OMMFellow06

OMMFellow06 PM&R Resident
    10+ Year Member

Considering that you have an overactive sympathetic nervous system, you want to go to an Osteopathic medical school, and that DOs treat peoples sympathetic nervous systems all the time, have you tried getting treated with OMM??? I'm sure if the sympathetic nervous system is your main problem, getting treated with OMM will likely make a difference in your everyday activities. If you want more info, you can send me a PM.

OMMFellow06

10. NSA914

NSA914 Member
    7+ Year Member

A friend of mine had hyperhydrosis of the hands and feet. I saw her go through exactly what you described. She felt awkward shaking hands and couldn't even wear sandals due to the excessive perspiration. After trying everything from creams to acupuncture, she finally got the surgery done last year. It was a fairly simple outpatient procedure, and she suffered minimal discomfort. She said it helped her so much. Maybe you and your doctor could discuss this and other options. I know it is easier said than done, but don't be embarassed. It seems that we all have someone close to us that suffers from something similar. This is a medical condition and not something to be embarassed about or prevent you from doing stuff. Best of luck!

11. PACtoDOC

PACtoDOC 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Ask for a script for Drysol. It is the AlCl others are talking about and it will work great. Use it when your hands are dry, not right after a shower like other deodorants.