another gpa question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxietypeaker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, just wondering which statistics and what those statisitcs are for all med schools acceptances i should go by (for NONminorities).

1) Is average gpa or median gpa better to go by. And what are they?

2) And also, how low is a low science GPA. Again, is it better to look at median/avg?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

anxietypeaker said:
hey everyone, just wondering which statistics and what those statisitcs are for all med schools acceptances i should go by (for NONminorities).

1) Is average gpa or median gpa better to go by. And what are they?

2) And also, how low is a low science GPA. Again, is it better to look at median/avg?

thanks.

my two cents:

1.) I prefer medians. Averages, in my opinion, tend to be skewed to some degree (esp. in medical school applicants), while a median definitely lets you know "oh I'm among the top half" vs. "oh I'm among the bottom half" of the population pool.

2.) I'd consider something below 3.3 to be a "low science gpa." This is because a B+ = 3.3, and if you are below the B+ mark in sciences then that is somewhat mediocre. I'd say < 3.3 means you need to work at it, 3.3-3.6 means you are in good shape, and > 3.6 means you are in excellent shape.

What is the "AO" GPA? Also, in the column next to your listed courses taken during undergraduate, what does the "/" mean versus the "X"? Thanks

Medical ***** said:
What is the "AO" GPA? Also, in the column next to your listed courses taken during undergraduate, what does the "/" mean versus the "X"? Thanks

on the verified application i thiink / they did not change your entry and x means they did. AO is all other so the ones not counted in your science gpa