Another GPA question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilqu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys im in a bit of a dillema, i currently have not complete my pre-requisite courses and still have 1 and a half years to complete my degree, but so far my pre-req gpa is 3.54, which is not where id like it to be, due to me getting B+ in bio 1 and 2 (due to my teacher 'practicing' his new method if teaching bio...), the rest i have A's and A-'s
my question is should i retake bio? and if i can score A's to raise my GPA wont that be good? how will a med school regard me then?

my calculations show that by the time i complete rest of prereq's ill have a science gps of approx 3.64 and cumulative of approx 3.7-3.8

also ive taken college algebra (which also lowers my gpa as i got a B), is that counted as the math course or do i also have to take statistics?

these are my pre-req's so far

chem1, lab A-
chem2, lab A-
bio 1, lab B+
bio2, lab B+
Ochem A-
ochem lab A-
phy1 A-
phy1 lab A
college alg. B+

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys im in a bit of a dillema, i currently have not complete my pre-requisite courses and still have 1 and a half years to complete my degree, but so far my pre-req gpa is 3.54, which is not where id like it to be, due to me getting B+ in bio 1 and 2 (due to my teacher 'practicing' his new method if teaching bio...), the rest i have A's and A-'s
my question is should i retake bio? and if i can score A's to raise my GPA wont that be good? how will a med school regard me then?

my calculations show that by the time i complete rest of prereq's ill have a science gps of approx 3.64 and cumulative of approx 3.7-3.8

also ive taken college algebra (which also lowers my gpa as i got a B), is that counted as the math course or do i also have to take statistics?

these are my pre-req's so far

chem1, lab A-
chem2, lab A-
bio 1, lab B+
bio2, lab B+
Ochem A-
ochem lab A-
phy1 A-
phy1 lab A
college alg. B+

No, do not retake. You'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)

QUOTE]

Most schools require stats or calculus. A few (like Duke) specifically require calculus. I'm not aware of any schools that only require Algebra, but I guess there could be one or two that I'm not aware of.

As the others have said, do not retake Bs.

Taking some upper-level Biology classes and doing well (As) would be a better strategy. And it will help make MCAT/med school easier. Consider Genetics, Physiology, Cell Bio, among others.

thank you for the advice guys, i was hoping that by doing that i would improve my grade and therefore improve my chances of getting into medical school.
i value your advice i wont do that :)

thank you for the advice guys, i was hoping that by doing that i would improve my grade and therefore improve my chances of getting into medical school.
i value your advice i wont do that :)

Good luck!!