WAMC? Another low GPA, high MCAT story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viralhiker

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Find out from the non-trad/post-bac posters on SDN which schools would be friendly to GPA-reinventors. Find out from your SMP which schools tended to accept recent graduates. Obviously all your in-state Michigan schools should be in play, and I would be surprised if you didn't get any invitations from some of them.

You need another 100 hours of nonclinical volunteering. At least get another 50. Other than that you are a solid example of reinvention.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need another 100 hours of nonclinical volunteering. At least get another 50. Other than that you are a solid example of reinvention.
I wholeheartedly agree with that. However, given the current state of things, all of my volunteering commitments have been cancelled until further notice. I don’t think it’s feasible to put off my application for a year for a couple dozen hours of volunteering... what do you think?

I wholeheartedly agree that it is not feasible to delay a year for another 50 or 100 hours of volunteering! However, there might be volunteering opportunities that you can do without leaving your house. Look into suicide hotlines or crisis text lines. Some nursing homes are setting up programs where volunteers can talk to residents using webcams; you might be able to do something like that.

I wholeheartedly agree that it is not feasible to delay a year for another 50 or 100 hours of volunteering! However, there might be volunteering opportunities that you can do without leaving your house. Look into suicide hotlines or crisis text lines. Some nursing homes are setting up programs where volunteers can talk to residents using webcams; you might be able to do something like that.
Good call! I appreciate the feedback

There’s some debate on whether things like suicide hotline or crisis volunteering counts as clinical or nonclinical volunteering. Maybe you could do both the hotline volunteering and the nursing home volunteering? Even if you choose the crisis line, you could make a good case for it being nonclinical and nonclinical volunteering is what you need. Maybe there’s even pandemic-related volunteering you could do...

Reactions: 1 user
Following because my stats and trends are very similar to yours, only I decided to delay applying for another year for various non-Covid reasons. Can someone recommend schools for someone like this? Is there a danger of getting rejected by high stat schools because of low GPA and by low stat schools because of high MCAT?

I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Michigan
Wayne State
Michigan State
Central Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Toledo
Vermont
Dartmouth
Tufts
Boston University
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Rochester
Case Western
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Duke
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
St. Louis
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Many of these schools are from Goro's list of schools that favor re-inventors.