Another HPSP waiver question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joesixpack

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yet another question about medical waivers in the HPSP.
I signed up for HPSP and got a medical waiver after a signed note from my PCP b/c I had taken SSRIs for anxiety 4 years earlier.
Now school + family + life is bringing up some anxiety (minimal loss of function and grades are great). If I went back on an SSRI, would HPSP MDAD have to be notified?
The relevant sections in the handbook:
1-2-1 MDAD must be kept informed, at all times, about matters affecting student graduation, to include academic failure, academic extensions or change in physical condition.
1-6-2 Any serious illness, hospitalization, pregnancy or chronic health problem that adversely affects the student's ablility to serve on active duty, remain in school, or alters graduation date must be reported immediately to MDAD.
What are my options? What are the risks?
Should I pretend I don't have anxiety and not treat it? Should I seek the same level of treatment I would offer to any of my patients? If I am treated, and it doesn't affect my school work, graduation or my ability to serve, do I need to notify MDAD? If I do notify MDAD, is it likely to be a problem for my HPSP status?
Thanks,
joe

Members don't see this ad.

I had this happen to me mid year. It's no big deal as long as you do respond to treatment. You will have to send letters every so often from your treating physician about how you're doing but it's no biggie as long as you are not dibilitated. Don't skimp on your treatment. it only builds on itself and med school is hard enough without having an anxiety problem to have to deal with both without any help. (You would encourage your patients to seek help and be happy - why wouldn't you do that to yourself?)

Does MDAD need to be notified?
Will there be any problems b/c I had to get a waiver for this before MEPS, and now 9 months later have the issue re-surface?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does MDAD need to be notified?
Will there be any problems b/c I had to get a waiver for this before MEPS, and now 9 months later have the issue re-surface?

If you are already in, your in. Adding SSRIs won't make a difference. It is that initial physical that you have to worry about.

I'm still wondering if MDAD even needs to be notified of this?
The handbook reads:
1-6-2 Any serious illness, hospitalization, pregnancy or chronic health problem that adversely affects the student's ability to serve on active duty, remain in school, or alters graduation date must be reported immediately to MDAD.
This isn't a serious illness or chronic health problem that adversely affects my ability to serve on active duty or remain in school and it doesn't alter my graduation date.
It is my impression that SSRIs would affect deployment if stable dosing <3mos (thread here). In some cases, must be off them for 1 year (submarines). I just started on the lowest dose of Zoloft, and I'll likely take it for < 1 year, so I'd be off it for more than that before I graduate.

So, should I bother MDAD with this?

I'm still wondering if MDAD even needs to be notified of this?
The handbook reads:
1-6-2 Any serious illness, hospitalization, pregnancy or chronic health problem that adversely affects the student's ability to serve on active duty, remain in school, or alters graduation date must be reported immediately to MDAD.
This isn't a serious illness or chronic health problem that adversely affects my ability to serve on active duty or remain in school and it doesn't alter my graduation date.
It is my impression that SSRIs would affect deployment if stable dosing <3mos (thread here). In some cases, must be off them for 1 year (submarines). I just started on the lowest dose of Zoloft, and I'll likely take it for < 1 year, so I'd be off it for more than that before I graduate.

So, should I bother MDAD with this?

Mention it on your annual verification form. That will suffice.

On the same note,

I'm a second year med student and applying to Navy HPSP for the last 2 years. I was recently notified that I can't proceed further with my app b/c of my hx of asthma and that my PFT's showed mild obstructive lung dz. Is there any way around this like a waiver from my PCP? I don't rely on an inhaler on a daily basis and don't have asthma attacks. The mild obstructive lung disease is mild in my opinion. Does this health restriction apply to FAP as well? Hopefully someone can give me some advice on this situation. Thanks in advance

On the same note,

I'm a second year med student and applying to Navy HPSP for the last 2 years. I was recently notified that I can't proceed further with my app b/c of my hx of asthma and that my PFT's showed mild obstructive lung dz. Is there any way around this like a waiver from my PCP? I don't rely on an inhaler on a daily basis and don't have asthma attacks. The mild obstructive lung disease is mild in my opinion. Does this health restriction apply to FAP as well? Hopefully someone can give me some advice on this situation. Thanks in advance

I was disqualified for a Hx of asthma too (I'm Navy as well). I used an inhaler regularly from birth to about 12 years of age, and then carried one (but didn't use it) until I was 15. They generally only disqualify you if you had it after age 13 (which I couldn't prove it had gone away because I carried a prescription inhaler until I was 15).

For USUHS, I wrote a nice letter saying that it was precautionary and never used the inhaler after age 13 and explained all the athletic things I've done recently (swimming, triathlons, half-marathons). They gave me the waiver just on that.

For HPSP, I gave them the same letter, but MEPS is a little stricter than DoDMERB, so they want me to get a pre- and post- bronchiodilator spirometry test. I'm not exactly sure what it entails. It's scheduled for later this week, but I'm pulling out (decided to go to USUHS so I don't need MEPS anymore). Sorry, wish I could tell you what it was like!

Just talk with your recruiter and your processor. They should (if they're good) explain everything you'll have to do. Good luck! :luck:

Abnl PFTs will probably not be waiverable. This is with good reason. We work in a lot of places that are tough on asthma. If they let you in and then you can 't work in those places, someone else gets an extra turn. While you think this is unlikely, its just not an appropriate risk for the government to take.