Another Loan Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently decided to attend FSU and do my own little informal post bacc. (I chose over actually getting another degree at USF or UNF) I picked this place because it is within 40 minutes drive from my parent's house and I can help them out if needed, along with some other stuff. I am considered a non-degree seeking student at FSU.

Anyway, I need to start funding at least a chunk of this on my own. My parents have paid for all of my undergrad, but I do not want to do that to them for another year or two, or at least the level they have been. My question is... Where do I begin with the whole loan process? I am aware there are plenty of sites online that go into details, but I guess I don't know what I'd be considered as a non-degree seeking. Will I need private loans, or am I eligible for the stafford and what not. Should I totally declare myself independent from my parents to make this easier and just kind of have them hand me money on the side? (My dad is a quasi-retired doc...so we're still fairly well off)

I know there are a lot of questions in here and that they are generally questions of disarray...but I've never had to deal with this before so the whole process is foreign to me. I appreciate any answers, or attempts to answer! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

If you can enroll as a 2nd degree student you'd be eligible for federal loans. For fasfa declaring yourself as independent would get you "more" money technically. Otherwise you'd have to get private loans (or a job) in which your parents will have to cosign. I wasn't able to find any private loans that did not require a co-signer who had an income (which I didn't).