Another Loan Question

Started by MossPoh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I recently decided to attend FSU and do my own little informal post bacc. (I chose over actually getting another degree at USF or UNF) I picked this place because it is within 40 minutes drive from my parent's house and I can help them out if needed, along with some other stuff. I am considered a non-degree seeking student at FSU.

Anyway, I need to start funding at least a chunk of this on my own. My parents have paid for all of my undergrad, but I do not want to do that to them for another year or two, or at least the level they have been. My question is... Where do I begin with the whole loan process? I am aware there are plenty of sites online that go into details, but I guess I don't know what I'd be considered as a non-degree seeking. Will I need private loans, or am I eligible for the stafford and what not. Should I totally declare myself independent from my parents to make this easier and just kind of have them hand me money on the side? (My dad is a quasi-retired doc...so we're still fairly well off)

I know there are a lot of questions in here and that they are generally questions of disarray...but I've never had to deal with this before so the whole process is foreign to me. I appreciate any answers, or attempts to answer! 😳
 
If you can enroll as a 2nd degree student you'd be eligible for federal loans. For fasfa declaring yourself as independent would get you "more" money technically. Otherwise you'd have to get private loans (or a job) in which your parents will have to cosign. I wasn't able to find any private loans that did not require a co-signer who had an income (which I didn't).