Another low GPA question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misterdrgn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

I am a caucasian student who went to a competitive ivy league school for undergrad and had a poor 3.05 (B) GPA.

I just completed a competitive post-bacc program while working with a 3.67 GPA (A-), while working part-time.

I expect my MCAT scores to be respectible around a 35. I have some valuable research and volunteer experience as well. I of course will have good letters of recommendation and a good personal statement.

Where should I set my sights on? Are there still some MD schools in the US that are possibilities, and at what level are they? Was anyone else in a similar boat and can they share their experience or expectations?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking your ugrad and post-bac together, what is your cumulative overall GPA and science GPA (Biology, Chemistry, Math, Physics)?

misterdrgn said:
Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

I am a caucasian student who went to a competitive ivy league school for undergrad and had a poor 3.05 (B) GPA.

I just completed a competitive post-bacc program while working with a 3.67 GPA (A-), while working part-time.

I expect my MCAT scores to be repectful, around a 35. I have some valuable research and volunteer experience as well. I of course will have good letters of recommendation and a good personal statement.

Where should I set my sights on? Are there still some MD schools in the US that are possibilities, and at what level are they? Was anyone else in a similar boat and can they share their experience or expectations?

I don't see why you wouldn't be competitive for some allopathic schools -- best to apply to as many as you can with most in the lower end of the spectrum where you are most competitive, and a few long shots -- and definitely more long shots if you in fact do get around a 35 on the MCAT.
(I am skeptical, however, that you or anyone else can accurately guess how they will do or did on the MCAT -- lots of people on this board like to say they expect to get in the high 30s but somehow always seem to end up with high 20s...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Law2Doc said:
(I am skeptical, however, that you or anyone else can accurately guess how they will do or did on the MCAT -- lots of people on this board like to say they expect to get in the high 30s but somehow always seem to end up with high 20s...)
I agree, but one way to get a better idea of where you stand is to take an AAMC practice test from e-mcat.com - 3R is free. You will likely score on the actual exam within 3 points of your practice result.

liverotcod said:
Taking your ugrad and post-bac together, what is your cumulative overall GPA and science GPA (Biology, Chemistry, Math, Physics)?

My science GPA is 3.67 and my cumulative would be around a 3.23.

Law2Doc said:
I don't see why you wouldn't be competitive for some allopathic schools -- best to apply to as many as you can with most in the lower end of the spectrum where you are most competitive, and a few long shots -- and definitely more long shots if you in fact do get around a 35 on the MCAT.

Thanks for the encouragement. I say around a 35 because my range is really 33-37. I'm been very consistent on that, but of course you're right... I could have seriously messed up. But I left the test somewhat confident I achieved as I had on AAMC 7 & 8. If I don't achieve that I will likely retake it in August, as it is a reasonable level for me.

Your science GPA is great, and according to the acid test MCAT + 10*GPA >=65, you get a 35 + 32 = 67 > 65, so your numbers should make you competitive for the majority of allopathic schools.

Your upward trend, high-quality undergrad and ECs will turn the tide in your favor. I would say you have pretty slim chances at top 10 schools, but a pretty good chance at all other allopathic schools. At in-state publics, you should be a shoe-in, as much as that's ever possible.

liverotcod said:
...according to the acid test MCAT + 10*GPA >=65, you get a 35 + 32 = 67 > 65, so your numbers should make you competitive for the majority of allopathic schools.

Hey can u explain this acid test? What are u calculating exactly?

Oluchi said:
Hey can u explain this acid test? What are u calculating exactly?
The idea is that there is some combination of MCAT and GPA that indicates to the adcom that an individual is academically prepared for the rigors of medical school. A high GPA (suggesting solid study habits) can make up for a lower MCAT, while a high MCAT (suggesting intellectual quickness and scientific aptitude) can make up for a lower GPA. All schools interpret GPAs and MCATs according to their own method, but probably it works something like the formula: x*GPA + y*MCAT = z. For most schools, x and y are probably close to 10 and 1, respectively, and z will vary with how "competitive" the school wants to be. Washington University, for example, is often pointed out as a "numbers *****" that bases much of their admissions decision-making on GPA and MCAT; using 10,1 for x,y they might set their minimum z to, say, 72.

Not to say there aren't plenty of other factors. But it is undeniable that GPA and MCAT play the biggest role in candidate selection, and that schools must therefore use some kind of formula, whether calculated or not, to determine who gets further consideration.

Law2Doc said:
I lots of people on this board like to say they expect to get in the high 30s but somehow always seem to end up with high 20s...)
You could perhaps be a little more sensitive, Law2Doc. I'm finding your posts inreasingly arrogant on SDN. You may have been accepted to medical school but that should not be a license to crush the dream of others (..and don't pull the "I'm being realistic" card when you're just being mean). Perhaps you should have stayed in law.......

Friendly said:
You could perhaps be a little more sensitive, Law2Doc. I'm finding your posts inreasingly arrogant on SDN. You may have been accepted to medical school but that should not be a license to crush the dream of others (..and don't pull the "I'm being realistic" card when you're just being mean). Perhaos you should have stayed in law.......

Didn't mean it that way, and you will note that I indicated that if that person got the score stated, he/she should do fine. But virtually everyone I know who took the MCAT when I did got a different score than they expected walking out of the test (some better, some worse), and you don't even know which questions were experimental and not graded. Thus it is the person who comes out of an MCAT convinced that they scored a 35 (which is an extremely high score in my book, even though they described it as merely "respectable") as the one who is a bit "arrogant". I hardly think I am crushing the OP's dream -- I think they can likely get into a decent med school with much lower than a 35. My journey to med school has been a also long and difficult one, and I am always the first one to say that if it's something you really want, and are willing to put in the time, you can probably get there. But I apologize if I offended you or anyone.

Law2Doc said:
Didn't mean it that way, and you will note that I indicated that if that person got the score stated, he/she should do fine. But virtually everyone I know who took the MCAT when I did got a different score than they expected walking out of the test (some better, some worse), and you don't even know which questions were experimental and not graded. Thus it is the person who comes out of an MCAT convinced that they scored a 35 (which is an extremely high score in my book, even though they described it as merely "respectable") as the one who is a bit "arrogant". I hardly think I am crushing the OP's dream -- I think they can likely get into a decent med school with much lower than a 35. My journey to med school has been a also long and difficult one, and I am always the first one to say that if it's something you really want, and are willing to put in the time, you can probably get there. But I apologize if I offended you or anyone.
Your point is noted but you don't have to justify yourself to me. I repeat: I have found your comments to others more negative than encouraging. As a lawyer, you'll know that perception is everything. It is difficult to convey tone and inflection in words. Thus, please consider how your posts are being conveyed. Congrats. on making it to medical school.

Friendly said:
Your point is noted but you don't have to justify yourself to me. I repeat: I have found your comments to others more negative than encouraging. As a lawyer, you'll know that perception is everything. It is difficult to convey tone and inflection in words. Thus, please consider how your posts are being conveyed. Congrats. on making it to medical school.

I still think you have read something into my posts which was not there or intended. I post on here when I feel I have something relevant to say, and try and share whatever wisdom I may have picked up from my own application process, having spoken to lots of adcom members and advisors along the way - certainly anyone is free (and encouraged) to disagree or post an opposing viewpoint. I'd like to think my advice is sometimes useful, I certainly have gotten good advice from others on these boards and elsewhere, even if it wasn't always what I wanted to hear. I also note that since you have harped on the fact of my being a former lawyer in two posts now, perhaps you are reading things into my posts based on whatever issues or conflicts you may have with other lawyers. You are hardly living up to your namesake, "Friendly"... :rolleyes:

Law2Doc said:
I still think you have read something into my posts which was not there or intended. I post on here when I feel I have something relevant to say, and try and share whatever wisdom I may have picked up from my own application process, having spoken to lots of adcom members and advisors along the way - certainly anyone is free (and encouraged) to disagree or post an opposing viewpoint. I'd like to think my advice is sometimes useful, I certainly have gotten good advice from others on these boards and elsewhere, even if it wasn't always what I wanted to hear. I also note that since you have harped on the fact of my being a former lawyer in two posts now, perhaps you are reading things into my posts based on whatever issues or conflicts you may have with other lawyers. You are hardly living up to your namesake, "Friendly"... :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: You're still trying to justify yourself, and now you're insulting. Move on....

I actually find Law2Doc's posts very helpful and supportive. He is supportive with a sense of sincerity that I appreciate. If, for example, I ask a question about my expected likelihood of medschool admission, I expect an honest answer. I honestly don't construe any arrogance in Law2Doc's posts. I agree it is important to be respectful and kind on this forum, but I think we can all agree that we, as information-seekers, want the honest truth.