IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
716
0
38
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
As most of you know, my stats are beyond low for dental school. I've come to the conclusion that my only 2 options are BU and NYU, because they have the overall lowest admission requirements besides Meharry and Howard which im not gonna even bother. What do you guys think? I have not taken the DAT yet, but based on my GPA and number of credit hours (~150) I dont think I can realistically pull it up to anything decent. I've seen a lot of people on here with great stats getting rejected from schools that I've considered applying to (ie Nova), which leads me to believe I'd be better off not applying to them at all. So, BU and NYU. Any other suggestions? I'm a GA resident, and there's MCG here in state but my stats aren't even good enough to apply there I dont believe. Just lemme know, I need uber advice and guidance. Thanks!
 

airvent

.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
323
0
Status
Depends how badly you want to be a dentist. There is no need to rush your application. Take some more classes and do well. Even if they won't bring up your GPA alot it will show improvement. Pursue a masters degree or a formal post-bacc program. Just improve, improve, improve. Skip next cycle or even two cycles then reapply...ace the DAT,etc....or you can reapply and likely waste more money if the adcoms see no improvement.
 

Dr. Steve Brule

For your (oral) health
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2002
243
0
Status
Dentist
i really think a masters would be a good idea..that's what i was planning on doing if i didn't get in..my plan was to go to georgia state and do their masters in biology program..im pretty sure it's only a year..and doing well in something like that and doing well on the DAT would really show the adcoms how serious you are

about applying to schools i wouldn't limit it to just bu and nyu cuz u really never know, yeah mcg is tough to get into and they didn't accept me but i know for a fact that they look really positively on people in your situation who are able to do real well after not doing so well to begin with..they call it being a "late bloomer"

even if it does take you a couple of extra years it'll be worth it for the rest of your life :thumbup:
 

lake04

Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2004
94
0
Status
IcemanDDS said:
As most of you know, my stats are beyond low for dental school. I've come to the conclusion that my only 2 options are BU and NYU, because they have the overall lowest admission requirements besides Meharry and Howard which im not gonna even bother. What do you guys think? I have not taken the DAT yet, but based on my GPA and number of credit hours (~150) I dont think I can realistically pull it up to anything decent. I've seen a lot of people on here with great stats getting rejected from schools that I've considered applying to (ie Nova), which leads me to believe I'd be better off not applying to them at all. So, BU and NYU. Any other suggestions? I'm a GA resident, and there's MCG here in state but my stats aren't even good enough to apply there I dont believe. Just lemme know, I need uber advice and guidance. Thanks!
Iceman: what does "beyond low" mean? As the other posters said try to improve as much as possible with either masters or post-bacc; it will show your dedication and true abilities.

GL! :thumbup:
 
OP
IcemanDDS

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
716
0
38
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
MitchSE-R said:
i really think a masters would be a good idea..that's what i was planning on doing if i didn't get in..my plan was to go to georgia state and do their masters in biology program..im pretty sure it's only a year..and doing well in something like that and doing well on the DAT would really show the adcoms how serious you are

about applying to schools i wouldn't limit it to just bu and nyu cuz u really never know, yeah mcg is tough to get into and they didn't accept me but i know for a fact that they look really positively on people in your situation who are able to do real well after not doing so well to begin with..they call it being a "late bloomer"

even if it does take you a couple of extra years it'll be worth it for the rest of your life :thumbup:
Thanks for the info. Yea I talked to Dr. Haynes, the dean of admissions, about what I should do about my low grades. She said to go back to undergrad and take a full load (at least 12 hrs) for a year and do at least as well as the previous entering class GPA. Yes she did mention being a "late bloomer" but do you think she told me to do all that as a possibility of actually getting in, or just to be elegible to be LOOKED at? Cause my stats are lower than yours, and I dont think a year's worth of classes would even be enough to get acceptance even with all A's.
 

Dr. Steve Brule

For your (oral) health
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2002
243
0
Status
Dentist
IcemanDDS said:
Thanks for the info. Yea I talked to Dr. Haynes, the dean of admissions, about what I should do about my low grades. She said to go back to undergrad and take a full load (at least 12 hrs) for a year and do at least as well as the previous entering class GPA. Yes she did mention being a "late bloomer" but do you think she told me to do all that as a possibility of actually getting in, or just to be elegible to be LOOKED at? Cause my stats are lower than yours, and I dont think a year's worth of classes would even be enough to get acceptance even with all A's.
it seems to me that just going back and doing a year's worth of undergrad would be a waste of time..even if u did real well it wouldn't improve your gpa all that much and you would have nothing to show for it, at least with a masters you have a whole new gpa and you get a freaking new degree for your work..Dr. Haynes is probably just telling you that you'll have a better shot at getting in but i mean the incoming gpas at that school are rediculous so i really don't know
 
OP
IcemanDDS

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
716
0
38
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
Yea thats true, but I had to go back and take physics II, and retake Gen Chem II and Orgo II anyway. So after this semester at KSU I'll look into a masters at either GSU or West GA. Do you have any insight to the masters programs at these two schools? One better than the other?
 

Nendo21

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
271
0
Visit site
Status
IcemanDDS said:
Yea thats true, but I had to go back and take physics II, and retake Gen Chem II and Orgo II anyway. So after this semester at KSU I'll look into a masters at either GSU or West GA. Do you have any insight to the masters programs at these two schools? One better than the other?
for masters in a bio related field do you have to take masters and if i was going to do something like that isnt it already too late to apply to most schools for the semester beginning in september? i really would like it if someone who is going though this stuff could tell me more about it..please! oh and what kind of gpa is needed ing order to get into a masters program, i think my gpa is whats keeping me from getting into d-school so i dont know if it be the same thing for a masters...thanx everyone!
 
OP
IcemanDDS

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
716
0
38
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
Nendo21 said:
for masters in a bio related field do you have to take masters and if i was going to do something like that isnt it already too late to apply to most schools for the semester beginning in september? i really would like it if someone who is going though this stuff could tell me more about it..please! oh and what kind of gpa is needed ing order to get into a masters program, i think my gpa is whats keeping me from getting into d-school so i dont know if it be the same thing for a masters...thanx everyone!
I'm pretty sure that the GPA requirement is much lower for a masters than it is at most dental schools. Just gotta do fairly well on the GRE and we should be able to get into a masters program somewhere (I hope!). A masters is about my only stepping stone towards dental school, so if I cant get into a masters program with my GPA then I'm just screwed. Back to the drawing board...
 

Nendo21

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
271
0
Visit site
Status
IcemanDDS said:
I'm pretty sure that the GPA requirement is much lower for a masters than it is at most dental schools. Just gotta do fairly well on the GRE and we should be able to get into a masters program somewhere (I hope!). A masters is about my only stepping stone towards dental school, so if I cant get into a masters program with my GPA then I'm just screwed. Back to the drawing board...
what is your gpa? i feel like i should have picked up a minor wayy before my second half of junior year that would have kept my gpa up... but no i took biochem, microbio and physics in the same semester, my advisor was totally useless in undergrad... :thumbdown:
 
OP
IcemanDDS

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
716
0
38
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
Nendo21 said:
what is your gpa? i feel like i should have picked up a minor wayy before my second half of junior year that would have kept my gpa up... but no i took biochem, microbio and physics in the same semester, my advisor was totally useless in undergrad... :thumbdown:
Yea my undergrad advisor was a bum and had NO input for what classes he thought i should take, he just basically signed the form and said "whatever you do im sure is good." But anyway my GPA is like 2.6-2.7 around there now, and hopefully a TAD higher after this semester. I did a minor in business which gave me some of that background which i heard is helpful. Hey its never too late to pick up a minor, just have to stay another semester or so more, almost everyone does that nowadays. I did.
 

Nendo21

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
271
0
Visit site
Status
IcemanDDS said:
Yea my undergrad advisor was a bum and had NO input for what classes he thought i should take, he just basically signed the form and said "whatever you do im sure is good." But anyway my GPA is like 2.6-2.7 around there now, and hopefully a TAD higher after this semester. I did a minor in business which gave me some of that background which i heard is helpful. Hey its never too late to pick up a minor, just have to stay another semester or so more, almost everyone does that nowadays. I did.

i am minoring in business too, entrepreneurship/managment. hopefully it will come handy one day, i'm pretty happy i dont have to do an extra semester because of it. i was looking at a masters in bio at northeastern and the minimum gpa isa 3.0 apparently. my gpa is a 3.0 right now so im hoping it will go up this semester, i really don't feel like taking more classes though maybe just do a lot better on the DAT. are you a junior or senior? what is your major?
 
OP
IcemanDDS

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
716
0
38
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
I graduated in December 2003. Took Kaplan DAT class that next summer and started back to school this past fall to retake a couple classes and take a few others. Into the second semester now hoping all goes well. I was a bio major.
 

Nendo21

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
271
0
Visit site
Status
IcemanDDS said:
I graduated in December 2003. Took Kaplan DAT class that next summer and started back to school this past fall to retake a couple classes and take a few others. Into the second semester now hoping all goes well. I was a bio major.
how did you do on the dat's?
 

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
11,750
17
Arizona
Status
Dentist
IcemanDDS said:
I havnt yet. :D
A rockin' DAT score can more than make up for any problems with your GPA. That, my friend, is the truth.

Rather than weigh all these other options, focus on the DAT. If you bomb it THEN move on to the next plan of action, but don't overlook the DAT.

Seriously, a *really* great score will get noticed AND give you a chance to tell adcoms why you didn't do so hot in college. It's the perfect opportunity to explain that you've matured in your study habits, as is evidenced by your sweet DAT scores.
 
OP
IcemanDDS

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
716
0
38
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
ItsGavinC said:
A rockin' DAT score can more than make up for any problems with your GPA. That, my friend, is the truth.

Rather than weigh all these other options, focus on the DAT. If you bomb it THEN move on to the next plan of action, but don't overlook the DAT.

Seriously, a *really* great score will get noticed AND give you a chance to tell adcoms why you didn't do so hot in college. It's the perfect opportunity to explain that you've matured in your study habits, as is evidenced by your sweet DAT scores.
Thats what I was hoping!! But so many people on here have said "you dont need to worry about DAT now, focus on getting that GPA up with a post bac or masters." I'd rather not get a masters because if I dont get in d-school I'll be doing a different career path, and wont need a masters in bio. I would rather do well this semester, kick @$$ DAT score, and get in SOMEWHERE.
So is this the new concensus? Tear up the DAT and apply for 2006 cycle?
 

Nendo21

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
271
0
Visit site
Status
AUG2UAG said:
it's certainly worth the risk... good luck iceman :thumbup:

A score of 21 across the boards is pretty rocking to me, and im sure adcoms would take a note of it since the national average is around 18. 24 and up are possible yet slightly rare and retaking ALL the pre reqs is a dumb idea when you can just do a masters OR like you said ROCK the DAT... :mad:
 

billiken10

I hated headgear.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
216
0
Chicago, IL
Status
The MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do is convey your committment to dentistry by doing whatever you can to get your name in front of adcoms. Call, write letters, whatever. Be annoyingly everpresent. By all means stay academic and take courses that will both boost your GPA and all also prepare you for dentistry. As for the DAT, do well consistently across the boards and consider that a job well done. Don't put the pressure on yourself to smoke it with a mid 20's score.

It may take you a while, but persistence will pay off. My GPAs weren't much higher than yours and I scored a 19 on the DAT. My persistence got me accepted the second year, so hope is not lost! Keep your chin up and yourself pointed forward and you'll do wonderfully. GOOD LUCK!


Billiken10
 

Nendo21

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
271
0
Visit site
Status
AUG2UAG said:
then you should learn to not do it
it;s sad when you go through so much school and you don't understand the difference between calling someone a "troll" and calling an idea "dumb" ...
 

Nendo21

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
271
0
Visit site
Status
AUG2UAG said:
that's for me to choose, i do enjoy looking at your picture though. truce?
forget it, you can't just go around insulting people, that won't get you much respect...i wont even comment on your last statement :eek:
 

mochafreak

registered quaffer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2003
926
0
Where the deer use crosswalks
Visit site
Status
Dentist
Hey Iceman, I'm another under 3.0...I believe I had the same exact GPA you have. I've taken courses for two years, part-time 1st semester, full-time thereafter and at the end of this semester my cum GPA should be above 3.0. My BCP will be 3.3 and the sci (which has four years of engineering courses in it) will be 2.8. So, I had four years of work with a 2.56 cum and 2.3 science...it can be done. I haven't taken the DAT yet, but hopefully I'll rock it. So, I'm just trying to cheer you up. With any luck, A's in post-bacc work and rippin the DAT will work for people like us still. Otherwise, I'll be in a masters too. :thumbup:
 
OP
IcemanDDS

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
716
0
38
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
mochafreak said:
Hey Iceman, I'm another under 3.0...I believe I had the same exact GPA you have. I've taken courses for two years, part-time 1st semester, full-time thereafter and at the end of this semester my cum GPA should be above 3.0. My BCP will be 3.3 and the sci (which has four years of engineering courses in it) will be 2.8. So, I had four years of work with a 2.56 cum and 2.3 science...it can be done. I haven't taken the DAT yet, but hopefully I'll rock it. So, I'm just trying to cheer you up. With any luck, A's in post-bacc work and rippin the DAT will work for people like us still. Otherwise, I'll be in a masters too. :thumbup:
'Tis our lot in life for screwing up our undergrad GPA. I may be lookin at another year or so taking classes, but that would be better than starting a masters. A lot depends on what I do on the DAT, which i'm planning on taking after this semester (and possibly applying at the same time).
Oh and thanks for getting back on subject and saving the thread from the battle of the sexes... :D :thumbup:
 

Nendo21

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
271
0
Visit site
Status
IcemanDDS said:
'Tis our lot in life for screwing up our undergrad GPA. I may be lookin at another year or so taking classes, but that would be better than starting a masters. A lot depends on what I do on the DAT, which i'm planning on taking after this semester (and possibly applying at the same time).
Oh and thanks for getting back on subject and saving the thread from the battle of the sexes... :D :thumbup:
i do appologize for the mess... :rolleyes:
 
OP
IcemanDDS

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
716
0
38
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
Nendo21 said:
i do appologize for the mess... :rolleyes:
Ha no worries. They do break out from time to time...
 

Love

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
23
0
Status
Did someone say,"depending on her looks..."
 

SHDS

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
16
0
Status
I am also in a similar situation in that my undergrad gpa is horrendously low (2.533). I figured it would take at least a yr of additonal classes to get my gpa up anywhere near 3.0.

So instead, I was leaning towards a masters program. However, as Iceman mentioned, I have been having a difficult time not only locating a one yr MS program locally (california) but have found that my low gpa does not meet the min requirment for admission.

Anyone have any knowledge/info regarding one yr masters programs that are in CA....where I may have an actual chance getting admitted? Maybe Cal State fullerton (I think I read somewhere that they have a good post bacc or masters program)?
 

SHDS

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
16
0
Status
AUG2UAG said:
This is a post i previously made for relatively same issue

a post-bacc doesn't have to formally be labeled "post-bacc". rather, post-bacc is a definition of additional courses you take after you have a degree, thus, if your goal is to take additional science classes you can do them virtually anywhere (as long as it's accredited and dental schools accept the units-- you must call individual schools and ask if they accept units from specific schools). a good source of formal post-bacc's, which includes cali schools is univ of syracuse's website:
http://hpap.syr.edu/pblist.htm

The only 1 year master's program i've personally found was at William & Mary College @ Virginia- this program is for a MA in Bio (non-thesis). however, I have personally visited UCLA's master's program in physiology and can attest that it is certainly worth applying to. the director's name is Dr. Carr or Mr. Carr and he is a very friendly gentleman. He totally put the program in perspective for me, and if you live in the area I think he is a great source for a very good (although, rumor has it you get overworked) master's program (MS Physio).

if you search for MA degrees in bio, i think you'll have a better chance of finding 1-year master's programs (for bio). also look into MPH b/c that is a highly revered master's degree within the dental and medical school communities. a good starting point are counselors and gradschools.com, best regards.

ps-
good GRE scores, good communications (eg read up on some of the instructor's research and ask if you can work w/ him/her for a master's), and lab experience will play a big role in determining acceptance to a master's program- you can do it!

most of all, don't count out the possibility of rockin the DAT- that is a very major factor (50-60%) of admissions!

AUG2UAG,

First off, I totally appericiate the helpful reply (again). The reason I am leaning more towards a masters program is because it would virtually take me way past one yr (most likely into two yrs) in order to raise my POOR undergrad gpa to anywhere near the 3.0 mark. I figure a new, second transcript of good grad school grades will be more noticeable and effective.
I have searched out a few one yr masters programs, but my low gpa is really holding me back. Either way, I intend to do well on the GRE and submitting my application.

As for the DAT, I was initially thinking of studying this summer and giving a shot at applying to dental schools if my scores were VERY good. However, the more threads I read on this fourm, the more I realize that even with 22-23 across the board, my 2.533 will keep me from getting admitted. So I ask, should I hold off on the DAT until I finish my masters/post bacc? If I were to take the test this fall, how long will my DAT scores be good for?

I was under the impression that the DAT scores are only good for two yrs from the date they are taken. I figured if I were to take my DAT this fall and do well, I will only have the two yr window in which to get admitted into a masters/post bacc, finish the program, and complete my applications to dental schools. So if the DAT scores are indeed only good for two yrs, I would be cutting it really close (would actually not work if I end up enrolling into a two yr masters program).

What do you guys think I should do?
 

aceking

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
195
1
Status
i think AUGAUG's advice is a good way to deal w/ your problem; however, i am not so sure if you really want go through the whole GRE and letter of rec for master things. i feel like it is a big U-turn and most of master's prog. require like 3.0 to get in anyways. Why double your stress?????
How about just taking hella extension courses in flashy univ. and some courses in JC? if you really want get in to dschool, i think it is fair to take like 20units for several quarters and get yourself a nice boost to your gpa. Getting a 23 like AUGAUG said is not so easy, but i think you definetely need something above 20 to get yourself more confidence as an applicant.

conclusion: get those good letters for dschool, take hella units and do well, get crazy at DAT, and the most important thing is to never GIVE UP~!
 
OP
IcemanDDS

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
716
0
38
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
AUG2UAG said:
most of all, don't count out the possibility of rockin the DAT- that is a very major factor (50-60%) of admissions!
Huh? I thought it was like a third, along with GPA and your interview, LOR, etc etc etc.
 

packbacker

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2003
145
0
47
Chapel Hill, NC
Visit site
Status
Just to add a data point, here's my situation:

2.74 Undergrad GPA in chemical engineering which included a 2.74 sGPA as well...(you'd be amazed at what courses are classified as science). At any rate, I followed that up with a Masters in Chemical Engineering at a 3.6GPA clip which brought my overall up to the 2.95 range and my science to 3.1. BCP ended up in the 3.3 range. Note: I finished my master's in 97.

DAT: 19AA/18TS/17PAT

Applied: UNC, Tufts, Case, VCU, MUSC
Interviewed: UNC (NC Resident)
Rejected: UNC, Case
Accepted: ???

Likely I won't get an acceptance anywhere this cycle. I'm planning to retake the DAT and take a micro and biochem during the summer (while I work full time). It won't really do much for my GPA, though. Will reapply for next cycle, and could use advice on where to apply!

Bottom line is that a ~3.0GPA may not be enough. I'm guessing we need to work a LOT of angles to get in and have a little luck to boot.

PB
 

SHDS

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
16
0
Status
Whether its taking classes at New College or starting a masters/post bacc program, I just want to make the choice and really get after it. I am finishing up a few classes at a community collge at the momment, so within the next two months, I plan on exploring all my options and making a decision as to what I will do.

Guys, as for the DAT, how long are the scores good for from the date they are taken?

I've read somewhere that the scores are good for just two yrs. So if I do end up taking my DAT this yr, but am not able to gain acceptance into dschool in the next two yrs, would I need to retake my DAT?
 

aceking

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
195
1
Status
SHDS said:
Whether its taking classes at New College or starting a masters/post bacc program, I just want to make the choice and really get after it. I am finishing up a few classes at a community collge at the momment, so within the next two months, I plan on exploring all my options and making a decision as to what I will do.

Guys, as for the DAT, how long are the scores good for from the date they are taken?

I've read somewhere that the scores are good for just two yrs. So if I do end up taking my DAT this yr, but am not able to gain acceptance into dschool in the next two yrs, would I need to retake my DAT?

DAT scores are valid for only 2years
 

aceking

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
195
1
Status
packbacker said:
Just to add a<a onMouseOver="window.status='' ; return true;" onMouseOut="window.status='';" oncontextmenu="window.status=''; return true;" onclick="location.href='http://www.enhancemysearch.com/admin/results.php?q=data&id=2';return false;" href="" TITLE="More Info..."> data </a> point, here's my situation:

2.74 Undergrad GPA in chemical engineering which included a 2.74 sGPA as well...(you'd be amazed at what courses are classified as science). At any rate, I followed that up with a Masters in Chemical Engineering at a 3.6GPA clip which brought my overall up to the 2.95 range and my science to 3.1. BCP ended up in the 3.3 range. Note: I finished my master's in 97.

DAT: 19AA/18TS/17PAT

Applied: UNC, Tufts, Case, VCU, MUSC
Interviewed: UNC (NC Resident)
Rejected: UNC, Case
Accepted: ???

Likely I won't get an acceptance anywhere this cycle. I'm planning to retake the DAT and take a micro and biochem during the summer (while I<a onMouseOver="window.status='' ; return true;" onMouseOut="window.status='';" oncontextmenu="window.status=''; return true;" onclick="location.href='http://www.enhancemysearch.com/admin/results.php?q=work&id=4';return false;" href="" TITLE="More Info..."> work </a> full time). It won't really do much for my GPA, though. Will reapply for next cycle, and could use advice on where to apply!

Bottom line is that a ~3.0GPA may not be enough. I'm guessing we need to<a onMouseOver="window.status='' ; return true;" onMouseOut="window.status='';" oncontextmenu="window.status=''; return true;" onclick="location.href='http://www.enhancemysearch.com/admin/results.php?q=work&id=4';return false;" href="" TITLE="More Info..."> work </a> a LOT of angles to get in and have a little luck to boot.

PB

u may want to apply more schools that accepts many outof state students such as NYU, BU, temple, USC, creighton, nova, arizona,marquette,

if you retake your DAT and do well then apply UPenn (they love DAT scores)
 
OP
IcemanDDS

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
716
0
38
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
Based on what all has been said...

"All is fair in love, war, and dental school admissions."

- Me
 

etoolky1

Tooth girl
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
84
0
IL
Status
I submitted my AADSAS and haven't heard anything. my Dat scores are low but I am taking it again. this will be my first year applying. did anyone apply to SIU?
 

bkbpbs10

New Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
4
0
Status
After reading this tread, it seems like majority of the people here recommend masters(give you new slate of GPA) over staying and doing another year of undergrad or Post-bacc(Adds to your undergrad GPA).
Just curious? Does it really give you an edge if you do a masters instead of postbacc/more undergrad?
by the way, my science GPA is around 2.8 so I'm trying to raise it up near 3.0 by doing another year of undergrad(5th year). IS this a bad idea?
 

nnjh

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
129
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
aceking said:
u may want to apply more schools that accepts many outof state students such as NYU, BU, temple, USC, creighton, nova, arizona,marquette,

if you retake your DAT and do well then apply UPenn (they love DAT scores)

I highly doubt U Penn would consider a sub 3.0 candidate. Go for 22+ on the

DATs and NYU and BU would be the best chance. I read from a post that

someone got offered a big scholarship with a 3.02? g.p.a. from NYU. If 3.0

gives you a scholarship than I guess a decent dat will get u in there.

(I hope the idiot who posted that doesn't post a reply that its b/c he's from

berkeley which is "the best university in the world")
 
OP
IcemanDDS

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
716
0
38
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
Well my problem right now is that I dont think my current GPA would even get me into a masters program... :(
 

Thaxil

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2003
547
1
41
myrtle Beach, SC
Visit site
Status
Dentist
IcemanDDS said:
Well my problem right now is that I dont think my current GPA would even get me into a masters program... :(
Iceman, I have been in your situation when applying last year, yet I was mildly successful in obtaining interviews. My first semester of college my GPA was 0.5 and the year was 1.5. It was a roller coaster for some time in my academic career. I knew that the DAT was my best and most efficient solution to gain admittance, so I spent 4 month preparing 6 – 4 hours a day with a study partner. I did not bother with Kaplan blue book, but I mainly focused on the subject textbook them self. My DAT TS was 24. You need a very high DAT 22 or 23+ to get the attention as Galvan stated. Also, for the time being, you need to your GPA in the A- range. If you already have an improving GPA, that is very good for your chances. There are a lot of schools which are very forgiving for people with desire and drive to show some promise. Also get some volunteering experience which will give you something interesting to talk about in the interview.
 

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
214
0
Status
IcemanDDS said:
Thanks for the info. Yea I talked to Dr. Haynes, the dean of admissions, about what I should do about my low grades. She said to go back to undergrad and take a full load (at least 12 hrs) for a year and do at least as well as the previous entering class GPA. Yes she did mention being a "late bloomer" but do you think she told me to do all that as a possibility of actually getting in, or just to be elegible to be LOOKED at? Cause my stats are lower than yours, and I dont think a year's worth of classes would even be enough to get acceptance even with all A's.


She was doing her job. That entails blowing smoke up your ass and providing false encouragement.

Dude you could have had a 1.6 overall and she would have told you the same thing I guarantee.

Educators always do this. They LIE LIE LIE.

I almost 95% guarantee that if you do this you wont get any further. THE ODDS ARE NOT IN YOUR FAVOR. EVEN WITH A SCHOOL IN NY.

Just go to dental hyg school
 
OP
IcemanDDS

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
716
0
38
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
vertical bite said:
She was doing her job. That entails blowing smoke up your ass and providing false encouragement.

Dude you could have had a 1.6 overall and she would have told you the same thing I guarantee.

Educators always do this. They LIE LIE LIE.

I almost 95% guarantee that if you do this you wont get any further. THE ODDS ARE NOT IN YOUR FAVOR. EVEN WITH A SCHOOL IN NY.

Just go to dental hyg school
Cool man, thanks for nothin.
 

TucsonDDS

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
598
1
Status
I had a 3.1 GPA and somewhere around a 3.3 BCP with a 24AA 21TS and a 21 or 22PAT. My last 2 semesters were 3.8ish for straight science classes. So far I have gotten 4 rejections, 1 waitlist, 3 interviews (with one acceptance :) :) ). I had pretty solid letters and what I thought a good essay (then again, what the hell do I know). I am a little surprised that I haven't heard positive news from more schools. What I am trying to say is that "Rockin the DAT" isn't always your in to interviews because I don't think I could have done much better. I will say that my dental experience is slim but I have at least 20,000 hrs in healthcare (I am an RN). I am sure that I am only an "average" applicant so you will need to be avove average in every other aspect of your application. Volunteer, shadowing, DAT's and a new GPA from a masters program will look very good. Good luck.
 

Nendo21

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
271
0
Visit site
Status
TucsonDDS said:
I had a 3.1 GPA and somewhere around a 3.3 BCP with a 24AA 21TS and a 21 or 22PAT. My last 2 semesters were 3.8ish for straight science classes. So far I have gotten 4 rejections, 1 waitlist, 3 interviews (with one acceptance :) :) ). I had pretty solid letters and what I thought a good essay (then again, what the hell do I know). I am a little surprised that I haven't heard positive news from more schools. What I am trying to say is that "Rockin the DAT" isn't always your in to interviews because I don't think I could have done much better. I will say that my dental experience is slim but I have at least 20,000 hrs in healthcare (I am an RN). I am sure that I am only an "average" applicant so you will need to be avove average in every other aspect of your application. Volunteer, shadowing, DAT's and a new GPA from a masters program will look very good. Good luck.
what school will you be going to?
 

TucsonDDS

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
598
1
Status
Nendo21 said:
what school will you be going to?

Right now the only one I have been accepted to, Buffalo. I am actually very happy that I have been accepted there because I think I will get a great education and it is very reasonable price wise. My family and my wifes family and my wifes families family are all a little upset about the thought of moving across the country though. Unless Arizona pulls through and offers me an acceptance (and my wife finds out :laugh: ) I will be in New York in the fall.