Another major question..sorry guys.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glam407

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the option of taking Econ 102(Intro to Microecon-which I took in highschool) or POLSCI 109(Intro to American Politics-which I took in highschool as AP GOV)
I did equally well in both. From these threads everyone's saying it doesn't really matter what someone majors in..so if I'm a Biology major who takes classes in political science, econ, and philosophy would I have the same chance as someone who's a political science major with the same grades and takes classes in biochemistry?

Because at this point although being a Biochemistry major makes all my pre-req's seem easier, I really want to do research in psychology and biology.
And, even though I'm taking a class in econ to major in it I'd have to take higher up statistics classes that I really wouldn't be too fond of. But, to major in political science I would have more reading intensive classes that I'm alright with.

I guess what I'm asking is do you think I should pursue an econ or polsci major?
and do you think i should take polsci instead of econ since although the intro econ classes are some of my favorite, the future polsci classes are also some of my favorites.

Members don't see this ad.

Med school acceptance is completely independent of your major. Pick the major you want to learn about. You will be more interested and more focused, and you will get better grades. Which, coincidentally, does have a correlation with med school acceptance.

although the intro econ classes are some of my favorite, the future polsci classes are also some of my favorites.
Double major/minor :shrug:

EN

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, you are kind of all over the place dude (biochem, biology, psychology, econ, polysci). But to answer you question; no, medical schools will not show a preference. It should really come down to two or three questions for you; 1) Which one do you like best? 2) Which one do you think you will do best at? 3) Which one would give you the best job opportunities if med-school does not work out?

Just a suggestion, as you seem to have similar interests to me, but why not try and find either an interdisciplinary class or prof to work with? I found an econ lab that studied the biology behind economic decisions, genotyped people and matched the results up with their political leanings, and of course did the psychology behind economic decisions (behavioral finance stuff). Very interesting sutff, and there is no need to lock yourself into only one field of study during undergrad. Trans/inter-disciplinary ftw :)

Look into behavioral finance classes or something similar. Most decent graduate schools offer them and any large undergrad institution that has econ should have behavioral finance taught to some degree. Also maybe look into tailoring your major around these classes if possible. I was able to switch out over 1/3 of my major classes (human bio major) with these types of classes, and all it took was a conversation with the department head.