Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Another May 15th question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Lost Jackal, 05.15.14.

  1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Lost Jackal

    Lost Jackal

    Joined:
    04.28.14
    Messages:
    11
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    Suppose you are accepted to schools A, B, and C. You choose to go to school A, and withdraw from schools B and C well in advance of the May 15th deadline. On the afternoon of May 14th, suppose you hypothetically get a cryptic phone message from the dean of admissions at school D (where you had been waitlisted) telling them to call you back, which you do, but they don't pick up and you leave a message. Now May 15th is winding down and they still haven't called you back.

    Is school A going to wake up on May 16th, see that you have two acceptances (maybe??) and get pissed and withdraw their offer? I understand that for offers after May 15th, you get a "reasonable amount of time" to make decisions between the schools. But you got this acceptance before May 15th (well, you assume it's an acceptance, although the possibility exists the dean was just calling to say hi and/or reject you personally because you suck that much). To be clear, you think you might ultimately like school A more than school D, but money is a factor, and in the meanwhile you don't want school A to think you are cheating on them.
     
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. RikaN

    RikaN

    Joined:
    08.21.13
    Messages:
    17
    i've heard ppl say that honesty and open communication are keys to a healthy successful relationship so why not call up school A and explain the situation? just assure them that you're not some player screwing around with its heart while courting school D too, but in reality school A is the only school you have eyes for now and you just can't help it for being so darn attractive that other schools still keep throwing themselves at you. let school A know that no matter what other temptations befall your path, you will continue to valiantly resist because you remain absolutely firmly committed to school A. good luck ;)
     
  4. RikaN

    RikaN

    Joined:
    08.21.13
    Messages:
    17
    On a somewhat related note, I just withdrew from my final school last night and this school has a notoriously slow admissions office. I have no faith they will process my withdrawal anytime soon. How do I make sure the school I did choose to attend doesn't assume I'm being a player and rescind my acceptance when they see that I technically still haven't withdrawn from the other school on AMCAS? Should I follow my own advice and just call them?
     
  5. Lost Jackal

    Lost Jackal

    Joined:
    04.28.14
    Messages:
    11
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    ...now you think the dean at school D might read SDN, because they just called and it wasn't just to say hi. School D says don't worry about school A being jealous, because school A sees when school D decided to ask you out, and they will assume that you're just a short-term fling for a week or so.

    RikaN - Your situation is a bit different since your acceptance date would have been earlier...I would think a quick e-mail to the school you plan to attend can't hurt? Just a 'Hey, I still love you, but I have this ex who isn't getting the picture yet' message?
     
    RikaN likes this.
  6. mvenus929

    mvenus929 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    07.06.06
    Messages:
    5,880
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    That's amusing.

    RikaN, yes, follow your own advice and let the school know what is happening. There's nothing wrong with letting them know that things are outside your hands. People tend to be pretty understanding of this.
     
  7. Lost Jackal

    Lost Jackal

    Joined:
    04.28.14
    Messages:
    11
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    Something else just occurred to me (and wow, I should have thought of these things before today) - I now hold 1 acceptance at an AMCAS school and 1 acceptance at a TMDSAS school. Do AMCAS (school D) and TMDSAS (school A) even talk? If no, then I guess there's no reason to explain why I'm holding two acceptances for a bit.
     
  8. Remy LeBeau

    Remy LeBeau 2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    03.30.11
    Messages:
    284
    Location:
    SOCMOB
    Status:
    Medical Student
    If you look at the AAMC Traffic Rules for Admissions Officers, you can see that after May 15, any student who holds multiple acceptances without adequate explanation can be compelled to respond to an acceptance within two weeks and/or submit a statement of intent with or without a deposit. My guess is that if school A sees your acceptance to school D, they can call and ask that you pick one or the other within two weeks. But let's say school D hasn't given you your financial aid package yet. It seems that the wording in the traffic rules allows a student to hold multiple acceptances past May 15 if financial aid decisions are pending. My advice would be to communicate with both schools and make your decision/notifications as quickly as possible.

    I can't comment on AAMC and TMDSAS.
     
  9. ct303

    ct303 2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    08.27.13
    Messages:
    503
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Is this a metaphor? Are you dating 4 people at once? That's expensive
     
    RikaN likes this.
  10. Lost Jackal

    Lost Jackal

    Joined:
    04.28.14
    Messages:
    11
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    Just think, at the beginning of the cycle it's like dating anywhere from 15-30 people at once. :( And just as expensive.
     
    ct303 likes this.
  11. Lost Jackal

    Lost Jackal

    Joined:
    04.28.14
    Messages:
    11
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    Right - I'm not suggesting I won't make a decision between the two as expeditiously as possible. Just making sure that med schools in general will understand if you take a few days to make that decision if you happen to get an acceptance right on or before May 15th. I think we're all good.
     
  12. PreMedOrDead

    PreMedOrDead I'm sure you'll get in... 2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    05.19.12
    Messages:
    2,383
    Location:
    A dark, dark cave
    MDApps:
    For a bit I wasn't sure whether I was in the Pre-Allo forums or the Tinder forums...

    I think it varies depending on the schools. 2 week 'good faith' periods to make decisions post-May 15th seems common. Just make up your mind and finalize your decision as soon as possible. If you are concerned about a deadline, be in contact with their admissions office to make sure everything is A-Okay, as this may be too school-specific for the general forums to answer.
     

About the ads

Share This Page