Another "Name That Dog" challenge =D

Started by Shanomong
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Shanomong

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So we're looking to name our new Rottie something creative/fun, and we're struggling a little... So far we've come up with Gelpi and Teratoma as names we potentially like, but we'd love suggestions!! No human names please, unless it's a cool last name, like Tesla (also on the table!). Thanks!! Here she is 😀

DD.jpg
 
I like Tesla! Teratoma might be a little cumbersome for normal use, unless you use a nickname. I named a litter of puppies after famous scientists at the shelter once. Then someone else changed their names to wintery names (think "Snowflake") instead. 🙄

Others we tried were "Niko Tinbergen" (Niko for short), Linus (for Linus Pauling), Fermi, and Erwin (for Schrodinger.) Some of those are first names, so may not work for you. Preettty dorky, I know, but my sister and I had fun with those.
 
I really like Tesla. For some reason I also like Emerson. Just trying to think of some decent ones. Umm.... Raider?

Doubt this helps but it was worth a shot.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I like Tesla alot too.

I really like the famous scientist thing as well, but unfortunately the only ones I can think of work for male dogs (Darwin-my favorite, Crick/Watson)

Haha, I actually just thought about what it's be like having two dogs named Watson and Crick, excellent.
 
I dunno, I think she looks a little too... sane... for Tesla. Now if she's actually bat-**** crazy, go for it.
 
It is definitely not a name one would typically think of. It sounds cool.

But it's a real thing!

From an article: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/06/health/06tera.html

"A tumor's encroachment is always terrifying, but teratomas, literally "monster tumors," exert a macabre hold on the imagination because they contain human elements remixed with Frankensteinian logic. It is not unusual for a teratoma to contain patches of hair, errant wedges of cartilage and even fully formed teeth."
 
Bezoar! For some reason I have always wanted to name an animal Bezoar, with "Bez" as a nickname. She looks like a Bezoar to me.😉

Editing to add this in--How about Nikita? I knew a husky with that name and she was simply gorgeous, I loved the name and it seems perfect for a big loveable Rottie.
 
We started a list at work and I'm getting some crazy suggestions 😀

I'm playing around with Physic's terms now... what do you guys think of Entropy? I kind of love the implication 😛

Thanks for all of the suggestions btw, keep them coming!!


OH! P.S. I found out at work today that Tesla is also a fairly well known bad 80s hair band... and more people at work knew who they were than who the scientist was... ugh.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Or Intertia or Nova... since we're getting her from bad circumstances Nova has a certain charm to it...

Or Michio (pronounced meeCHIoh) after my personal hero Michio Kaku!
 
Last edited:
But it's a real thing!

From an article: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/06/health/06tera.html

"A tumor's encroachment is always terrifying, but teratomas, literally "monster tumors," exert a macabre hold on the imagination because they contain human elements remixed with Frankensteinian logic. It is not unusual for a teratoma to contain patches of hair, errant wedges of cartilage and even fully formed teeth."

I knew it was a real thing. I just meant it wasn't the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the picture of the rottie.
 
So we got her home last night, and after all of the westling we've been doing with finding a name for her, it really came down to meeting her just like everyone's been telling me. Turns out she's got at least one bum hip, and she wobbles a bit when she walks... so we decided to name her Weeble! (Weebles wobble but they don't fall down... 😀)

It was a long night, but considering where she came from and the amount of stuff she has to adjust to, she's doing AWESOME!! We love her, she's such a great dog and a quick learner. I also took her to the dog park at 6:30 this morning since neither of us was sleeping, and she was amazing with the other dogs, she really knows how to play even though she's never been around other dogs her size. We stayed for 2 hours and she made some good friends. Now she's trying to climb in my bed haha... my husband already said that he knows shes going to end up in here with us eventually....