Another premed looking for specific advice/opinions about HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GammaRho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hold on, allow me to stand in for the OP. Just by the title I empathize with his position.

Dear friends,

I am a freshman at <STATE SCHOOL> and I want to apply to medical school and become a <SURGICAL SPECIALTY> because I want to help people. However, ever since I was little I wanted to serve because I always looked up to my father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate who was in the <ARMED SERVICES BRANCH> and he was very proud of his time. My decision to join was further reinforced after binge watching Surviving the Cut, Inside Combat Rescue, and Grey's Anatomy on Netflix. I didn't like M*A*S*H very much.

But I did my research here and there seemed to be alot of negative opinions so I was wondering if I can get some specific help to my situation? My GPA is <#.##> and I am planning a 520 on my MCAT. My ECs will include cancer research and teaching underprivileged kids how to read good and do others things good too. Will I be able to get the <BRANCH SERVICE>'s HPSP? Also what are my chances of becoming a <SURGICAL SPECIALTY>? Will this finally make my dad proud of me?

Thanks everyone!

TL;DR Will joining the army and getting into medical school make my parents notice me?

Oh that was cathartic.

Reactions: 8 users
Hold on, allow me to stand in for the OP. Just by the title I empathize with his position.

Dear friends,

I am a freshman at <STATE SCHOOL> and I want to apply to medical school and become a <SURGICAL SPECIALTY> because I want to help people. However, ever since I was little I wanted to serve because I always looked up to my father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate who was in the <ARMED SERVICES BRANCH> and he was very proud of his time. My decision to join was further reinforced after binge watching Surviving the Cut, Inside Combat Rescue, and Grey's Anatomy on Netflix. I didn't like M*A*S*H very much.

But I did my research here and there seemed to be alot of negative opinions so I was wondering if I can get some specific help to my situation? My GPA is <#.##> and I am planning a 520 on my MCAT. My ECs will include cancer research and teaching underprivileged kids how to read good and do others things good too. Will I be able to get the <BRANCH SERVICE>'s HPSP? Also what are my chances of becoming a <SURGICAL SPECIALTY>? Will this finally make my dad proud of me?

Thanks everyone!

TL;DR Will joining the army and getting into medical school make my parents notice me?

Oh that was cathartic.

To answer both of your questions..no

Last edited:

Dear friends,

Thanks everyone!

Oh that was cathartic.

Nice Zoolander reference.

You should give OP some credit, however. This could be another:

"I want to be a pediatric endoscopic telephonetic neurosurgeon who specializes in rhabdomyosarcoma of the pituitary gland, but I also want to be Delta Force and a part of whatever unit Tom Berenger was a part of in Sniper 2. I also want to air drop into North Korea so that I can repair all of their cleft palates, "Hearts and Minds", you know? Is that possible in the military?"

Reactions: 3 users
You should give OP some credit, however. This could be another:

"I want to be a pediatric endoscopic telephonetic neurosurgeon who specializes in rhabdomyosarcoma of the pituitary gland, but I also want to be Delta Force and a part of whatever unit Tom Berenger was a part of in Sniper 2. I also want to air drop into North Korea so that I can repair all of their cleft palates, "Hearts and Minds", you know? Is that possible in the military?"

I believe this is the plot of Rambo 5: Last Blood.

Rambo left his quiet retreat in the jungle of Thailand, returned to medical school, and was subsequently recruited for his toughest mission yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Rambo left his quiet retreat in the jungle of Thailand, returned to medical school, and was subsequently recruited for his toughest mission yet.

air drop into North Korea so that [he] can repair all of their cleft palates

John James Rambo, MD, FACS???

What would this guy be like in medical school? Residency?

maybe not a sticky itself but maybe something like the EM forum has-- maybe we can consolidate what we have now into a single better organized thread...

--your friendly neighborhood can i put that on my OER? caveman

There is so much win in this thread...it has to be a sticky.