another question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeanie523

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replying...:D

There are post-bac programs that focus on improving one's science gpa (e.g. chm, bio, phys, org)-at least i think. I thought UPenn, Northwestern, and UConn's post-bac programs offer the option to take/re-take pre-med courses and/or add upper level undergrad science courses.....hm....

I am still in the dark about what factor(s) people consider when opting for a post-bac (undergrad courses), instead of a special masters program. Perhaps, a masters program is more difficult to get accepted into, but then would a, say formal 1-year post-bac that focuses on undergrad science courses offset years of bad grades? Or do people normally complete a post-bac to increase their undergrad science gpa, complete a special masters program, and then apply to med school? My UG gpa stinks, but I think I will be able get accepted into a post-bac (UG) without any trouble. I am hesitant to do this however, because if a formal post-bac doesn't help my admission into med school, I would have wasted a year and out $20,000+.... where all this time, I could have attended a local cc to finish up pre-med courses, applied to special masters programs, get another degree, and most importantly, get accepted into med school. Yes, I would be out 20 grand+ too, but at least I would have something to show to myself at the end of the year. Of course, these are all best scenario cases.....! Yikes.

I see your point about why people pursue a masters program instead of a post-bac one. It makes sense...why move backwards re-taking pre-med courses when you can prove yourself by (1) taking courses for the first time and (2) taking it with other medical students to prove that you're able to handle a heavy load of accelerated courses. Of course, this is all assuming you get above average grades :p

Anyways....no more whining....:(
Any other thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

In deciding between a post-bacc (i.e., taking/retaking premed requirements) and a master's program (i.e., taking graduate and/or medical school courses), it's important to realistically assess your UG gpa, as courses taken in the former will be applied to your UG gpa, while courses taken in the latter will be applied to a separate graduate gpa.

I had a 3.3 UG gpa (a's and b's in my sciences), and felt that this was "good enough" to apply to a master's program instead of a post-bacc. I'd say that if your gpa is under a 3, or if you were getting c's in your science prereq's, then a post-bacc may be a better option, as improvement in your UG gpa would be looked upon favorably by adcoms. In my case, I basically wanted to prove to adcoms (and myself) that I could handle the rigors of med school, and as such, busted my a$s in the UMDNJ master's program, doing very well in both grad and med classes. Doing well in the program helped me gain acceptances to several med schools so far.

Ultimately, your best bet would be to consult with admissions folks at your state school(s) and/or your top choice schools, and see what they recommend. I did so with my state schools, and they were more than happy to advise me on my weaknesses and how to improve.

abbeacon