another secondary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rishi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So is it illegal to say "see above response" for an essay question? On one of my secondaries they ask for an essay about your research projects and then another one about why muddphudd. In my research project essay, I told them to see my AMCAS research essay for all the details (which I wrote like a review article) and then wrote about what I have learned and what I want to do in the future. As such, I discussed most of the reasons why I want to get a muddphudd. So is it okay if I just say "read what I said above?"

Members don't see this ad.

This is purely from my experience.. it seems to me that some schools really want to hear something new/different from what you already wrote (which is annoying as hell, I know). Some schools are totally fine with you referring to previous essays. At one school I applied to, they asked for an essay describing my research, exactly like the one on AMCAS. I wrote a new essay basically saying the same thing, with a few additions. HOWEVER, a few applicants to the same program actually called the MD/PhD administrator, and she said "yeah, go ahead and just write 'refer to AMCAS research essay' for that essay question."

In summary.. don't refer to other essays until you've been given an explicit OK to do so. Call the mstp administrators and see if they can shed light on the issue.

I'm sure others on this forum have advice on this matter as well.

Hmmm....off the top of my head I remember Hopkins and Emory having secondaries that ask you to re-describe your research. I just pretty much copied and pasted from my AMCAS research essay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm....off the top of my head I remember Hopkins and Emory having secondaries that ask you to re-describe your research. I just pretty much copied and pasted from my AMCAS research essay.

Ditto, but for different schools. I think copying and pasting is better than saying "see my AMCAS".

In other news: Some of these schools really should stop asking for research descriptions now that we give detailed ones in with AMCAS.

So is it illegal to say "see above response" for an essay question? On one of my secondaries they ask for an essay about your research projects and then another one about why muddphudd. In my research project essay, I told them to see my AMCAS research essay for all the details (which I wrote like a review article) and then wrote about what I have learned and what I want to do in the future. As such, I discussed most of the reasons why I want to get a muddphudd. So is it okay if I just say "read what I said above?"

I've found that the best way to find the answer to this question is to contact the mstp office and ask them directly (by phone preferably).

Some schools say copy and paste is fine, others will say do not write the same thing again, and others still will say "this is your opportunity to add a little bit".

When I interviewed I was always impressed when my interviewer, including at the big important interview, had my whole application and had actually read my application. I had a very unique application, so it was very easy for me to tell who had read it and what parts they had read. Many times the interviewer is only given parts (like only the secondary) or they just don't have time so they only read a few parts. By saying "See my other essay" you assume 1) They have time and motivation to read the other essay now to read this current essay and 2) they have the essay in front of them.

At one school I second looked at they admitted that they typically don't even read the essays on AMCAS. They had no idea about all the interesting stuff I had put in there. Just suck it up and recap what you said in the previous essay.

Thanks for all the replies. I definately agree that it's worth writing something new. My AMCAS essay had barely enough room to describe my research, so whenever an secondary asked for my research experience, I refered them to the AMCAS for the details and wrote about what the experience has taught me and how it has shaped my ideas of what I want to study in the future and why I want to get an mdphd. But my question really refers to one secondary where they asked why mdphd right after the research question. For this second question (why mdphd), do you think if its alright to refer to the secondary research question (to which I already discussed the influence of my previous research on my decision to pursue the mdphd)?

(I will definately call the mstp office now that you mentioned it)

(Also am I really that screwed not having submitted secondaries yet? Is there ANYONE else out there in my boat?)

I am still in the process of submitting secondaries, so yeah, I'm sure there are plenty in our boat too... At least I hope so! =P

I am still in the process of submitting secondaries, so yeah, I'm sure there are plenty in our boat too... At least I hope so! =P

Yes!!! Power to the people! I've been having a hard time trying to balance finishing up my project to get my manuscript going, writing apps and taking midterms (to get all A's so I can have a shot next year when I don't make it through this year). But I think I better hurry up and get my apps and letters out cause some the deadlines are coming up by November 15ish.