Another ST. George vs. Ross Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sekem

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From people that have info on these 2 schools:

What are the pros and cons to Ross vs. St. George on

1- Level of Education
2- Repotation in USA
3- Residency
4- Tuition
5- Social life in the island

Members don't see this ad.

From people that have info on these 2 schools:

What are the pros and cons to Ross vs. St. George on

1- Level of Education
2- Repotation in USA
3- Residency
4- Tuition
5- Social life in the island
No one can really answer this, because there really aren't that many people that have attended and graduated from both Ross and SGU.

IMO, it doesn't matter a rats hind end what the social life is like on the island-you aren't here to have fun, you are here to study-anything else is a bonus.

Ross and SGU will both allow you to be licensed in all 50 states. Both have a fairly good reputation. If you work hard, have decent grades and test scores and good LORs you should be able to match pretty well.

Tuition is tuition-it should run you about $250K or more. Or less.

Ross students think their social life is better. SGU students think theirs is best. We think Ross has more stuff to do, they think we have more stuff to do, etc etc etc ad infinitum.

Othronut is right however I can make a safe observation based on the fact that 1) my brother went to St.Georges and is doing his 3rd year right now in New York and 2) my best friend, more like family, for 17 years went to ROSS and now is finishing up his 3rd year of residency in New Jersey. From what I been told a thousand times is this: the difference when it comes to the island is basically the same however SGU looks like a resort and ROSS doesn’t. The food and lifestyle are basically the same.

Another point; my friend was going through a divorce when he was at ROSS and they didn’t help him what so ever. No “take a semester off” or “we understand, it will be considered” just “try your best.” On the other hand, my brother and his ex, who was also a SGU student at the time, were going through a tough time and the school told them both not to worry, that if they needed to take time off so they can work out their differences, they can. Although I want to go to ROSS for med-school I’ve heard they use the term “Sink or Swim” …nice right. :laugh:

My friend also mentioned many times that the first semester at ROSS is “loaded” with students however that number drops in the second semester at least by a third. On the bright side you’re on the island for only 16 months vs. 24 months, except summer break, with SGU assuming you do well. From what I’ve been told by many people, life on the islands can get to you or can be “irritating” after a while. I hope that helps a little, remember this is just “island and school” talk. Need to assume that you will have no problems and do well however what you need to look into are the clinicals. Call both schools and put up a post about the clinicals. I have heard some stuff that is worth investigating for example: are the clinicals all done in the same hospital or even same state? That’s a question. Here’s another one. When I do clinicals am I with people from my class or am I stuck with DO students maybe even with PAs … maybe with nurses?:laugh: just joking , not with nurses, anyway just ask. Also find out about students who have taken the USMLE for the first time. What’s the past percentage? Is it 89% or 98 %, big difference? That’s something you should know. Anyway I will be applying in a couple semesters to ROSS. Good Luck

Mars :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you accepted to both? If not, then this thread is a bit premature.

First of all, let me make it clear that both schools are very established and you should not have any problem getting a residency coming out of either school. That aside, I have heard that ROSS is very underdeveloped and living there is quite tough. In fact, I have been to one of ROSS info sessions and they really made it clear that life on the island was not a caribbean vacation. Though, this might actually help with studying (less distraction). Also, I have heard from somewhere (here on SDN or VMD not sure) that R.O.S.S. = Rely On Self Study!! or Ross = Jurassic Park :laugh: That's funny.

Othronut is right however I can make a safe observation based on the fact that 1) my brother went to St.Georges and is doing his 3rd year right now in New York and 2) my best friend, more like family, for 17 years went to ROSS and now is finishing up his 3rd year of residency in New Jersey. From what I been told a thousand times is this: the difference when it comes to the island is basically the same however SGU looks like a resort and ROSS doesn’t. The food and lifestyle are basically the same.

Another point; my friend was going through a divorce when he was at ROSS and they didn’t help him what so ever. No “take a semester off” or “we understand, it will be considered” just “try your best.” On the other hand, my brother and his ex, who was also a SGU student at the time, were going through a tough time and the school told them both not to worry, that if they needed to take time off so they can work out their differences, they can. Although I want to go to ROSS for med-school I’ve heard they use the term “Sink or Swim” …nice right. :laugh:

My friend also mentioned many times that the first semester at ROSS is “loaded” with students however that number drops in the second semester at least by a third. On the bright side you’re on the island for only 16 months vs. 24 months, except summer break, with SGU assuming you do well. From what I’ve been told by many people, life on the islands can get to you or can be “irritating” after a while. I hope that helps a little, remember this is just “island and school” talk. Need to assume that you will have no problems and do well however what you need to look into are the clinicals. Call both schools and put up a post about the clinicals. I have heard some stuff that is worth investigating for example: are the clinicals all done in the same hospital or even same state? That’s a question. Here’s another one. When I do clinicals am I with people from my class or am I stuck with DO students maybe even with PAs … maybe with nurses?:laugh: just joking , not with nurses, anyway just ask. Also find out about students who have taken the USMLE for the first time. What’s the past percentage? Is it 89% or 98 %, big difference? That’s something you should know. Anyway I will be applying in a couple semesters to ROSS. Good Luck

Mars :thumbup:

Are you sure that Ross is 16 months and SGU is 24 months???

McGrill did you notice I mentioned "except for the break" and if you subtract the breaks from both schools you will perceive that one would spend less time at ROSS vs. SGU nevertheless that was basically my point that i was addressing however i guess you couldn’t see that. Let me ask you, are you one of those students that needs to be explained everything more then a few times? Just wondering and if you are then how do you do it? It must be draining for you. :laugh: lol just joking toots. Also its 15 months not 16 months at ROSS. I have to explain it for Mcgrill, excuse me guys. It’s understood 16 academic months for ROSS however if you look at Ross’s academic calendar and add up the weeks of actual time spent in class/ island, it adds up to be 15 months. If you need for me to go over it with you, i would be glad to just shoot me an email. :laugh:

Mars :laugh:

McGrill did you notice I mentioned "except for the break" and if you subtract the breaks from both schools you will see that one would spend less time at ROSS vs. SGU anyway which was basically my point that was making but i guess you couldn’t see that. Let me ask you, are you one of those students that needs to be explained everything more then a few times? Just wondering and if you are then how do you do it? It must be exhausting for you. :laugh: lol just joking toots.

Mars :laugh:

Who is 'McGrill?'

It sounds like a McDonald's sandwich.

Also, I have heard from somewhere (here on SDN or VMD not sure) that R.O.S.S. = Rely On Self Study!! or Ross = Jurassic Park :laugh: That's funny.
While I agree that at Ross you do rely alot on self study, this is not because there are not some great professors, TAs, study aids etc. but simply that the sheer volume and imposed time constraints demand assimilating alot of knowledge quickly.Oftentimes the lecture hall is not the optimal environment for this kind of learning. This is not unique to Ross. I have friends in American med. schools and they rarely go to lecture. This topic has been discussed over in the allopathic forum, where alot of students (from various schools) admit to skipping lectures to stay at home and read....same at Ross. You learn alot more from reading Robbins and doing questions than you do from listening to some PhD pontificate on esoteric and often peripheral material that has a 0.00025% chance of ever showing up in your medical career/ Boards.
Medicine, as a field does not lend itself to spoon feeding.Reading and actively making connections between the various basic science courses usually serves you better. With that said, there are some great profs. so no matter where you go choose wisely. Time management will ultimately dictate your level of happiness and/or success in Med. school.

The reality is that the person who asked this question already knows they're not going to make their decision based on the inconclusive, contradictory opinions of anonymous people arguing over the minutiae of it all.

Why don't this one to rest?

For the person who asked the question... apply, get in and then go visit the schools if you can't decide.

I went to both schools open houses.

St. George painted such happy picture of life on Grenada nice beach, hiking, nice warm whether, friendly natives, very safe, everything accessable...

But at Ross open house some students were saying the whether is always rainy, full of mosqitos, not so safe to live there, natives are very poor so you have to really watch out for your stuff, no cell phones, they have no cows, so no red meat, lettus doesn't grow there, no good salad, mailing system very slow. YOu can get your luggage shipped there (takes about 1 month to get your stuff all crushed and messed up) somewhat like a bootcamp...

I'm very scared. Please tell me how do the islands compare, I think people at Ross were just more honest than people at st. George. I just want some hard facts. I think I could handle bootcamp for becoming a physician, but I want to know what I'm getting myself into...
Please comment
Thanks

why are you laughing?

Your questions make me laugh. You ask questions that can be answered by taking a look at a school's website, so it amuses me to see that you appear to be lazy enough to ask anonymous people a question and wait hours for a response (that may or may not be correct) when you can find the facts in less than 5 minutes on your own.

I'm very scared. Please tell me how do the islands compare, I think people at Ross were just more honest than people at st. George. I just want some hard facts. I think I could handle bootcamp for becoming a physician, but I want to know what I'm getting myself into...
Please comment
Thanks

Do not be scared. Expect island life to be a mirror of a very inconvenient but otherwise healthy experience. Some people have not had experience outside of the US or Canada and thus cannot fathom what it is like to live without electricity, indoor plumbing or easy access to food but as much as it is a pain in the neck, it is nothing to worry too much about.

Most people are capable enough to survive most anything and you will do fine. If you are really worried about living conditions then do not go to Ross or Saba. If you absolutely require a semblance North American amenities then consider AUC.

Go visit the schools if you really want to know. If you cannot afford to visit them then you are not snobby enough to suffer much to begin with.

Maybe people who are in the schools can give you their opinion, but unless they have been to more than one school, their experience is limited, too.

Your questions make me laugh. You ask questions that can be answered by taking a look at a school's website, so it amuses me to see that you appear to be lazy enough to ask anonymous people a question and wait hours for a response (that may or may not be correct) when you can find the facts in less than 5 minutes on your own.

I'm glad I made you laugh...maybe I should ask more questions...so you feel better about yourself and laugh more. Believe me I have done my homework. But I'd like to hear what people have to say about their experiences at the islands if you don't mind.

I'm glad I made you laugh...maybe I should ask more questions...so you feel better about yourself and laugh more. Believe me I have done my homework. But I'd like to hear what people have to say about their experiences at the islands if you don't mind.

If you would have noticed, I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to sekem.

Reading skills are fundamental.

At the time I went to Ross, the CEO once told us in a meeting that the average time to graduate from Ross was 5 years.

That includes the breaks, and sometimes the gaps between the time you finish one clinical rotation and start another one. It could be several weeks.

The same is true for SGU or any offshore school.

The best advice came earlier in the posts. Go there, get it done.