Another suicide...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mass Effect

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Woman Jumps to Her Death from Rutgers Medical School Parking Deck in Newark

"According to preliminary reports, police say the emotionally distressed unidentified woman parked her vehicle on the top level of the parking deck at the Rutger NJ Medical School before 7 a.m. then lept off the building where she fell onto the concrete."

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a little premature to post this in this forum. I get that the article says it occured at a medical school, but that's really also the parking garage for the dental school, nursing school, public health school, grad school, and more, in addition to being at the hospital. We don't know (from this article at this time) if this was a medical student or a resident, and thus relevant to this forum, or not.

Reactions: 4 users
I didn't realize the nursing, dental, and grad school share the same parking lot. Thanks for clearing that up.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that it is relevant. Even if she wasn't an intern or a resident, she was definitely a person who felt she had no other option. We all need to fight the cynicism inside ourselves. You do have to care, because we are all more like each other than we realize.

From the linked article, 3rd comment:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Call 1-800-273-8255
Available 24 hours everyday

Reactions: 8 users
I think that it is relevant. Even if she wasn't an intern or a resident, she was definitely a person who felt she had no other option. We all need to fight the cynicism inside ourselves. You do have to care, because we are all more like each other than we realize.

From the linked article, 3rd comment:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Call 1-800-273-8255
Available 24 hours everyday
Hundreds of people commit suicide every day in the US. Usually when people point out a particular case on these forums it rises a discussion whether the medical training environment specifically contributed to that particular individuals state of mind and what led them to suicide. I think when the previous poster said it was premature to point it out here, it just means if we don't know much about this case or if it is even a med student or resident, what does this particular case really benefit from being discussed here over the hundreds of other people who die of suicide each day?

Reactions: 2 users
Tragically, a family medicine resident at the University of Utah was recently killed by her partner. During her training she surely asked many if they felt safe at home, and may have even helped some remove themselves from situations of domestic violence. These problems are not unique to those in medicine, but we are not immune to them either. You never know when talking to a patient (or a friend or colleague) might help save a life.

More likely than not that this person was in medical training.

Reactions: 1 users
As someone who once attended medical school in an academic medical center that had multiple multiple allied health professions schools, it felt like a huge family, and I personally would have cared if anyone working within my training environment killed themselves. Whether it was a pharm student or dental or nursing or the janitor or public safety.

If it's a patient I still wonder what about the environment in which they were being treated mattered.

All suicides matter, and all suicides on a health professions campus matter, and I think all are relevant for residents to consider.

If this was a place that trained medical students and residents, it's worth it for anyone at that campus, and for the rest of us, to wonder what happened. It doesn't have to be a failing. What happened, what could be done.

It's come up things that facilities have done to make it more difficult to jump from tall things. Maybe that's worth discussing here.

As someone who once attended medical school in an academic medical center that had multiple multiple allied health professions schools, it felt like a huge family, and I personally would have cared if anyone working within my training environment killed themselves.
...All suicides matter, and all suicides on a health professions campus matter, and I think all are relevant for residents to consider.
As someone who attended the medical school where this suicide occurred, I can tell you that we didn't interact much with students from the other schools. It's not that we wouldn't care if someone from another school died, but we weren't typical close in any way.

I wasn't saying that this suicide doesn't matter, it's just that there are over 100 suicides per day in the US, so why post about 1 here? That said, I hadn't considered the below and agree that's a worthwhile discussion.

It's come up things that facilities have done to make it more difficult to jump from tall things. Maybe that's worth discussing here.