Another try

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I apply to medical school for 2003, and I retake my MCAT (as I have decided to do), will schools invite me for interviews (potentially) based on my 2001 MCAT (30), or will I be forever branded as a 'late' applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think your MCAT is your problem, assuming it is balanced. But...you're not asking that. It's quite possible that they won't consider your second MCAT that greatly if it doesn't go out with your primary.

I heard that if you select that you are taking the august mcat then they will wait to make a decision to interview...

Members don't see this ad :)
your MCAT score doesn't seem to be your problem unless it is ridiculously unbalanced. Yes if you take the August MCAT they will most likely wait until those scores are in before they ask you to interview. Since you have a 30, that's usually high enough to get secondaries from schools that screen so now at least you'll get secondaries faster. With a 30 already I'll bet there are some schools that will offer you an interview w/o your august scores.

well, most schools will send you a secondary regardless of your MCAT. But it seemed to me that most said that they wouldn't consider an application until it was determined "complete," meaning that all secondary materials, letters, etc. were in, including your final MCAT scores.

so, if you are asking if you will be considered late, not really, but yes, in comparison to people who aren't waiting for august scores. a 30 is high enough to get interviews, but I don't think anyone will look at it if you check that box telling them to wait for August scores.

Thanks... so what I'll do is not select anything. I'll apply as though I'm not taking the August MCAT, then forward my scores if they're >33-34. Is that legit and morally sound?

Willy-

I think when you apply on AMCAS, they ask how many MCATs you've taken since 1999 (the latest year schools will consider MCATs for 2003.) They will also then ask you if you are taking the August 2002 MCAT.

Conceivably, you could send your AMCAS w/o stating you're taking the August MCAT in case you don't do as well as you anticipate, but I would rather just state I'm taking it and let schools decide if they will send you a secondary.

I think most schools will just send you one based on your GPA and 30 MCAT. As others have said, it probably isn't your MCAT that is holding you back. I'd rather not be sent a secondary or receive an interview knowing it was something on my original app than being dishonest and not sending schools a score. (On a side note, if you do decide to take the August MCAT and you release your scores, then they will go directly to the school in October. If you don't release them, then you will be pushed back another month or so.)

You need to try to find out why you didn't get in the first time around and change that. Why try to change something(MCAT) that probably wasn't the issue in the first place?

MarleyB4, you're absolutely right. Kermit, thanks for the input! :wink: