Another UW booboo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony montana

Dr. G-Spot
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In one of their explanations they say:

For a fixed anatomical degree of mitral valve incompetence producing mitral regurgitation and at a given left ventricular preload, an increase in contractility would tend to increase LV afterload.

Maybe I forgot all my physiology, but I can't even find one source that explains why an increases in contractility -> increase in afterload :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

In one of their explanations they say:

For a fixed anatomical degree of mitral valve incompetence producing mitral regurgitation and at a given left ventricular preload, an increase in contractility would tend to increase LV afterload.

Maybe I forgot all my physiology, but I can't even find one source that explains why an increases in contractility -> increase in afterload :confused:

Increased Stroke Volume d/t the increased contractility, you are essentially getting more blood out each contraction with the increased contractility. Wouldn't that increase your afterload? It doesn't sound like an error to me.

Increased contractility increases the force of the stroke, which increases your stroke volume and increases your afterload/systolic BP at a given preload.