• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

tony montana

Dr. G-Spot
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
In one of their explanations they say:

For a fixed anatomical degree of mitral valve incompetence producing mitral regurgitation and at a given left ventricular preload, an increase in contractility would tend to increase LV afterload.

Maybe I forgot all my physiology, but I can't even find one source that explains why an increases in contractility -> increase in afterload :confused:

SOUNDMAN

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2004
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
In one of their explanations they say:

For a fixed anatomical degree of mitral valve incompetence producing mitral regurgitation and at a given left ventricular preload, an increase in contractility would tend to increase LV afterload.

Maybe I forgot all my physiology, but I can't even find one source that explains why an increases in contractility -> increase in afterload :confused:

Increased Stroke Volume d/t the increased contractility, you are essentially getting more blood out each contraction with the increased contractility. Wouldn't that increase your afterload? It doesn't sound like an error to me.

Blesbok

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Increased contractility increases the force of the stroke, which increases your stroke volume and increases your afterload/systolic BP at a given preload.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.