Another W question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunShare

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried searching to see if this was already answered, but no luck so here goes...

Freshman year I withdrew from one class each semester. My school had a policy where if you withdrew by a certain date, it does not show up on your transcript as a W (the class is not listed at all and the second time you take it does not show up as a repeat). It does however show up in that my attempted hours for the semester say 18 and my earned hours say 14.

AMCAS says "A course entry must be made even if the withdrawn course does not appear on the transcript."

Would they have any way of knowing? Or are two W's nothing to worry about and I should just list them in the interest of full disclosure?

Members don't see this ad.

Although they are not explicitly listed, doesn't the whole "18 credits attempted/14 credits earned" imply that you withdrew from a class? I understand why this is considered better than a W for your school, since if you enroll again it will not be a repeat, but for AMCAS I think it is pretty much the same thing. If the discrepency in credits is indeed on your transcript, it will raise eyebrows if you don't list the Ws on your application. Besides, it's better to be honest in these situations, especially since a couple Ws will not hurt you.

Two Ws during freshman is nothing to get you're knickers in a twist over. However, since it does show on your transcript that you only earned 14 of the 18 hours you attempted during your semester, AMCAS might notice this discrepancy when your application is verified if you fail to include those two withdrawn courses.

Play it safe and add those courses to your application. It won't affect your calculated GPA and it's not likely to be a major red flag.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you have a good reason (aka withdrew within first 2 weeks of class or something like that), it won't matter if it comes up.

what are you guys talking about with "attempted hours"? Is a semester system that different then a quarter system or do we have attempted hours as well? I thought it was only by how many units you have taken a quarter and if you drop a class before a certain date it is as if you had never taken the class, thus being nobodies business. If its not on your transcript don't write it down.

what are you guys talking about with "attempted hours"? Is a semester system that different then a quarter system or do we have attempted hours as well? I thought it was only by how many units you have taken a quarter and if you drop a class before a certain date it is as if you had never taken the class, thus being nobodies business. If its not on your transcript don't write it down.

But that's not the OP's case. The transcript reflects a discrepancy, which if discovered by AMCAS, may delay the OP's application from being certified. So the OP needs to put down those classes as withdrawals to be on the safe side.

Yeah, I think I should just suck it up and list them. It's only 2. Thanks for the advice!