Answering interview questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doublehh03

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how long should u take to answer a question?

i know you have to answer it as long as you can answer the question, but what length is appropriate?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I tried to think of interviews as conversations, and I think it worked out well for me. Therefore, the response time needs to be about the same as if you were asking your friend what they were doing tonight. If they paused and said, uh..., you'd be thinking the same thing. Also, think of it this way: when you ask them a question about their program, like why is the pharmacy building named after this dude? what did he/she do? How fast do you expect them to respond?

If they ask you a question that stumps you, take a few seconds, no more than 7 and think about it. If you can't come up with something, ask them to ask the question again and see what they are really trying to get from you. If you've never experienced something, or don't know, say that. It won't be too big of a deal.

I tried to think of interviews as conversations, and I think it worked out well for me. Therefore, the response time needs to be about the same as if you were asking your friend what they were doing tonight. If they paused and said, uh..., you'd be thinking the same thing. Also, think of it this way: when you ask them a question about their program, like why is the pharmacy building named after this dude? what did he/she do? How fast do you expect them to respond?

If they ask you a question that stumps you, take a few seconds, no more than 7 and think about it. If you can't come up with something, ask them to ask the question again and see what they are really trying to get from you. If you've never experienced something, or don't know, say that. It won't be too big of a deal.

thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad :)

Nice one. If you give a speach of 4 to 5 min just to answer one question. That might be turn off but if interview goes like a converstaion it will be more real and interesting. thats what i think. Let me hear what ohters say about it.

also, i do research and if they ask about research, how in depth should i go. i think i explained what i did in the pharmcas apps and supp apps and if i repeat the same things, it'll be pointless isn't it? so how should i approach it when they ask about my research (i dont' do independent research btw)

thanks

also, i do research and if they ask about research, how in depth should i go. i think i explained what i did in the pharmcas apps and supp apps and if i repeat the same things, it'll be pointless isn't it? so how should i approach it when they ask about my research (i dont' do independent research btw)

thanks

I say go as in-depth as you want to go. Honestly, I would be surprised if they remembered what you actually said; they interview hundreds of people and most of the answers to questions they hear are about the same. They are simply observing your communication skills and how you present yourself, not really the content of what you're saying. You'll know when they want you to stop talking, but I still say to talk as much as you can about things until you start to get a skowl from the interviewer. It's like a poker game: you know what you're holding, you just gotta keep reading them until you know what they've got (more of want they want in this case).

Also, only be positive about everything, nothing negative whatsoever!

from my own experience the least minutes you take to think about it and the least minute you take to respond is the best. 1 to 2 minutes of response must be the top. Think about it they have to interview the same day like 5 to 10 people. You talk to bore them then your chances are low. The perfect thin to do is to respond shortly with great conviction of what you saying and perfect examples from you file. They love that.