Anterior Chest - Step II CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studyingforever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know in the FA book it spells out not to overexpose the patient and just examine the necessary parts. The gowns tie in the back, so for the heart exam is it acceptable to bring the gown down and listen or do you cover the anterior chest with the gown and place your stethoscope underneath the gown on the skin (while keep the chest covered)? I know this is a really lame question....but I don't want to get points taken off for something stupid.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know in the FA book it spells out not to overexpose the patient and just examine the necessary parts. The gowns tie in the back, so for the heart exam is it acceptable to bring the gown down and listen or do you cover the anterior chest with the gown and place your stethoscope underneath the gown on the skin (while keep the chest covered)? I know this is a really lame question....but I don't want to get points taken off for something stupid.

Thanks!

If its a dude, I have them degown. Its probably not the RIGHT thing to do, but I raped CS, so it didn't hurt me.

if its a chick, i make sure to EXPOSE skin a little bit at a time. Totally artificial and not how i'd do a physical, ever.

Thanks!

Grab a cover/second gown and have them put it on their lap. Then tell them to make a "tube top" with the gown they're wearing. You can hit the mitral/tricuspid from underneath then and they do all the body part maneuvering etc. for you (ideally).

Skin to win!