Anther Question regarding schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intrepidation

I wear PASG underwear
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In various other posts, people talk of applying to 16 of the 19 colleges. Then they list them. TCOM never appears. Others say the applied for all except ones in Texas and Oklahoma. I, a wannabe TCOM, have become recently filled with doubts regarding such posts. What makes TCOM seemingly inferior. If you do not view it as inferior, what is the logic that will let you apply to every other DO school in the country except it? Please fill me in on what i am missing. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

perhaps it is that all texas medical and dental schools have a separate admissions service and procedure....some people may feel it is not worth the extra effort.

best of luck in whatever you decide.

see http://dpweb1.dp.utexas.edu/mdac/homepage.htm :)

TCOM for a variety of reasons is at the top of my short list. As such, I went there and spoke with the Asst Director of Admissions. So here is the scoop.

TCOM like all the dental and medical schools in Texas is part of the Texas system and not a part of the ACOMAS system. Why? Maybe they like it better that way; maybe it is just a Texas thing... remember the Alamo?

Anyway. It costs about $120 to apply to the Texas system (for one school), and an additional $10 or so for each additional school. Texas has 7 medical schools I believe. Most nonresidents don't apply there because it IS additional cost AND Texas has what Icall the 90% rule.... Texas state law says that 90% of all accepted students must be Texas residents. So it makes the remaining slots a bit more competative. :eek:

Because TCOM is outside the "normal" loop, you don't hear so much about it. Me personally? I loved the Fort Worth area; the school was top shelf; and the people I met which included the Dean (little did I know) were friendly and engaging people. :D

If you are interested in TCOM, do your research AND visit the school (if possible). If it is on your list, drop a school at the bottom (that you really didn't want to attend, anyway) and pay the small price. I hope this info helps. :cool:

Personally, I didn't want to hastle with a different form of application. I was also under the impression that they are likely to take Texans in rather than out of staters... ;)