Anxiety!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buomyta

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all those who have put the MCAT behind them. For those who are experienced. Did you experience a lot of anxiety around this time. I'm am taking Kaplan Classroom and I have the audioosmosis from ExamKrackers. I'm have been s

Members don't see this ad.

You think you have test anxiety now? Just wait until after the exam and you're waiting almost exactly two months for the results. I thought nothing could be worse than waiting for the test, until it was over. Trust me, it's worse. (Don't think they will be quicker that that either, they won't.) You will pull your hair out, every possible scenario will run through your mind (OMG! What if I only made a 3!!! Is that possible!!!) (OMG, What if I made a 45!!! I could get a scholarship anywhere! I wonder if Harvard would call me up and beg me to come there! HEHE!!! ) (I guess I better make plans to take it again, next go-around...), etc. etc. etc.

The not knowing sucks. If they would kill the essay portion, you could get your test back in no time, or even instantly on computer.
But they won't. Why??? They like to toy with you. Fun, huh.

then you have to get GREAT LORs, prepare the essay. Pay the AACOMAS fee, wait for them to process and verify and send them out. Then wait for secondaries. Then write out more essays, which should be AWESOME!!! Get the MONEY for all those secondaries. Then WAIT and WAIT for any interview invites. Then get the MONEY to travel to those interviews. Then WAIT and Wait for acceptance. Then get the MONEY MONEY MONEY to hold a place or several places. Then decide which school to go. The stress DOESN'T end. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!"

As AmyB says..."NEVER GIVE UP!"

:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn..... I'm reading the previous posts and all of a sudden, BAMMMMM.... It hits me that the next 9 months are so are going to be the most stressful I've ever had. Guess it's time to up the lexapro to 20mg...... and maybe get a script for alprazolam.

Seriously does anyone have advice that worked to keep them sane during this MCAT/Application/Interview period?

You people need to relax. Yes, we're talking about our important future here, but that is exactly why you must not let your stress affect your present. If you are stressed out, your performance will be affected and you will not be able to handle this (quite methodical) process correctly.
Keep in mind that you need to take things one step at a time. There is no point in worrying about what comes after you take your MCAT. Right now you should be focusing on keeping good grades and preparing for the test. You might also start considering some topics you want to include in your personal statement. Leave it at that for now.

Lastly, you must understand that stress is a personal reaction to your environment. It is obvious that everyone handles pressure differently and you should start developing your own positive reaction under trying circumstances. You don't have to let stress affect you. All of your worries today will seem trivial when you get into med school.

It's easy for someone who is in or has been accepted to medical school to give the advice of "just relax," but I remember how I felt while studying for the MCAT: watching my bank account quickly deplete for the secondary app fees, trying to keep my undergrad grades up, wondering if I would graduate on time, working nights at the hospital because that's all the free time I had, shedding pounds like crazy due to stress, not getting enough sleep, and even vomiting before my last Biochem final (ewe)! For all of you April MCATers, there IS light at the end of the tunnel!!! :clap: I had taken the MCAT during August, which I do not suggest doing. I am actually on downtime right now, waiting for med school to start in July, and just working and having fun until then. So hang in there everyone, and it's okay to be stressed if it makes you more productive! (I suggest trying Yoga). Here is a poem, or song lyrics that I wrote about the med school application process, in the midst of my boredom. :laugh:

Applying to med school
Is harder than it may sound,
It can make you go crazy,
As I have personally found!

As if undergrad wasn't enough,
To stress me out and make my life rough,
Here comes the MCAT to study for,
I will give up my summer to make a good score.

In rain, sleet, sun or snow
To the Kaplan Center I go,
To watch videos and do lots of thinking
While my friends are out laughing and drinking!

At last, at last, MCAT day has arrived
My nice calm state is extremely contrived.
They hand out the tests and it takes all day,
My stomach, in a growl, will have to stay.

Oh thank heavens I'm finally done,
No more studying and giving up fun.
The MCAT was a pain in my rear,
Let's hope I won't retake it next year!

Through all my hard work
I have come to discover,
That I desperately need
Some time to recover.

But wait! Hold on!
To relax now would be wrong!
How could I forget?
It?s not over yet!

Interview season is finally here,
I hope I don?t trip, or stutter, oh dear.
What should I say, to sound super smart?
Something that will surely set me apart.

With my bank account dry
And sleep hard to get,
I am working two jobs
To pay off my debt.

Wow! I'm accepted!
To UNECOM in Maine,
I hope that my classmates
Haven't all gone insane!

Applying to med school
Is harder than it may sound,
It can make you go crazy,
As I have personally found!

Good luck to everyone and God bless

-kmwmorris

Well I see all but BklynWill are just making your anxiety worse. Don't worry about it so much. Naturally, you're going to fill anxioius the weeks and days approaching the test. Just like when you're about to take final. However this is a final on all those classes and carries a lot of weight. So, everyone was anxious. I am prepping for the april mcat with ya. I am starting to get anxious as well.

Best way is to have a daily schedule and follow it, ending about 1 week before the test. This lowers your anxiety knowing you're on track and you'll do fine. Also, when you're just not feeling like doing the studying at that hour when you were going to, then DON'T. Leave and go do something else for an hour - even if it's bumming. Don't pressure yourself too much because it'll have a negative effect.

Remember it's normal to feel like this and everything will be OK.

I didn't mean to make your anxiety worse. Just letting you know how hectic it can be. I am not in YET, but have 3 interviews (VCOM, KCOM, and TUCOM)...still waiting for a couple of others...

I know it is hard but as the other posters said, this will be the least of your worries when you are in. But it's getting in that is the hardest part.

Take everything in stride, one step at a time. Do your best and put your heart into it! Set goals for yourself and follow them. They'll change eventually and you'll need to modify them. But the biggest thing is to take control as best you can. If I made it this far...you can too, and I worry alot!

I'm going to give you some advice my dad gave me when I was freaking out about all this stuff. He told me "DORoe, you have worked hard and done all you can. Worrying about it won't get you anywhere. Do what you need to and you will be fine. If you don't get in somewhere you wouldn't want to go there anyway because if they can't accept your best you won't be happy. Now let's have a beer!"

My advice to you(and this comes from someone who had MAJOR anxiety before the MCAT, is to take one thing at a time.)
Practice getting up at 7 am on Saturdays and studying at that time, so you are not half asleep on the day of the MCAT.
Sleep eight hours a night, exercise(gets rid of some of the anxiety), and have faith in yourself. Know that the MCAT is not a one time deal necessarily, do, do your best, and from there you will move on.
When I went to Kaplan, they had some on-line relaxation suggestions and for me, the deep abdominal breathing really helped! (usually, if you can get your body to relax a little, the mind will relax a bit also).
I also recommend drinking gatorade(seriously Kaplan suggested this) on the day of the Mcat-nothing like having a full bladder half way into a section.................
Good luck and I hope this was a little helpful

Dude...just puff the magic dragon and stop stressing yourself out. I am one of the laziest people alive and I got through the process...the stress will hurt you...have fun while you're at it....it is possible

I agree with futuredo32. Seriously, the best way to beat MCAT stress is to feel prepared. And I know you can never really be ready for the MCAT, but you can try to overcome your fears of it. I know many will disagree but the MCAT is just a test, one that can be retaken (as I have personally had to do).

The homework Kaplan gives you is great and all but the best way to beat the test is to try and imitate the MCAT experience as often as you can. I mean, wake up at the crack of dawn, eat breakfast, drive to a library, and sit there til you've finished an entire practice exam (maybe minus the writing).

Remember, the test doesn't measure intelligence, it's all about endurance. Do this every weekend til April, and you will do and feel better.

And if all else fails, bear in mind that total slackers/procrastinators like me got into med school so you can too! :)

Good luck!