This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fishy fish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just felt like letting out my mixed emotions here...I'm a non-trad student who will be starting med school at 27. I love everything about medicine and truly feel like it's the only career that will make me happy. I obviously thought hard about attending medical school before enrolling in my post-bacc courses... but now that I'm actually applying, it's starting to feel real and I'm getting anxious about the commitment. I'm married and would like to start a family by 30-31 and I'm just worried I won't be able to handle the stress of med school/residency and taking care of my kid(s). My husband is very supportive and I have no doubt will be a hands on father..But my worst fear is that I'll start medical school, realize I can't juggle everything all my responsibilities, and end up dropping out. It's tough because I really can't see myself being anything other than a physician, but I'm just worried about the commitment and of how busy I'll be.

Members don't see this ad.

During MS1 & MS2, its about a 40-60 hour per week commitment, depending on how much non-clinical stuff you have to do and how good your study habits are. Its not a zany 100 hour per week thing to hack it.

MS3 will have some rotations (eg surgery) that are crazy crazy long hours, but weeks probably average 60-70. High, but manageable.

MS4 is mostly up to you, but not stressful or overly involved unless you are aiming surgery or surgery sub specialty.
Thank you! This is super helpful!