Any acceptances with a GPA 3.0 or lower?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illgetin1day

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't applied to pharmacy school yet, since I have a lot to work on before applying. I am graduating in May with a BS in Biological Sciences. I have 5+ years pharmacy work experience (hospital and retail). I haven't taken the PCAT yet and my GPA is still very low it will be about 2.9 at the of the semester. I still need to take the PCAT and raise my GPA significantly before I have any significant chances of getting in. But I am curious to see who has gotten acceptances with low GPA's since I can only raise my GPA so much since I have 130 credits.

Members don't see this ad.

Try your best and just know that it is possible. If you search around the forum, you will find other members who had a gpa on the lower end and have been accepted to pharmacy school. My cGPA is 3.08 and it's been a long uphill battle (I have over 150 credits). Show the upward grade trend and take initiative by taking upper-division classes (and doing well in them). I took a lot of science classes that weren't required for pharmacy school like Biochem, Immuno, Vertebrate Zoology, etc to make up for the less than stellar grades I got in Gen Bio and my first try at Gen Chem.

Getting a good PCAT score will definitely help too. Your experience in retail and hospital is a great asset as well; it'll be a helpful advantage when writing your PS and during interviews. Good luck.

Edit-- You should check out this recent thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=514248

I got in with a 2.99 overall GPA but my GPA over the last 60 credits was high enough to apply. The University of Minnesota requires a 3.0 overall or 3.20 over the last 60 credits. I have over 210 credits so it took some time to raise my GPA. I did not get in my first time applying. Is your GPA higher over your last 60? If so, you should consider applying to the U of MN. It will also look good if you get a high score on the PCAT. It's a plus that you will have a 4-yr degree and considerable pharmacy experience by the time you apply. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted to 2 schools with pharmcas saying my overall GPA is 3.01. I got an 83 on the PCATs with a 95th percentile in chem as my highest.
Umm, I had a great personal statement, i think, great letters of rec, and i had the grade trend of my GPA constantly rising each sem. Lets just say, my freshman year, i was an idiot and after the end of freshman year i had a 2.1 so i had to work to get my GPA back to average...

but you can do it as long as you are determined and work hard...try your best...it may take more than 1 year applying but keep at it.

Good luck!

Thanks, have you been accepted yet?

I don't know if your question was directed at me or leochick.. But I was accepted to Midwestern - Glendale, Univ. of Hawaii - Hilo, and Univ. of Colorado.

I don't know if your question was directed at me or leochick.. But I was accepted to Midwestern - Glendale, Univ. of Hawaii - Hilo, and Univ. of Colorado.

Yes, it was directed towards you sorry, i must have replied at the same time as leochick. Congrats, I just hope I do extremly well on the PCAT and boost my GPA enough.

Yes, it was directed towards you sorry, i must have replied at the same time as leochick. Congrats, I just hope I do extremly well on the PCAT and boost my GPA enough.

Thanks. I just noticed your screen name.. Keep working hard and like your sn says -- you'll get in one day. :D

Nice job even though you had a GPA lower than average. It is clear that you have many other things going for yourself. What type of ECs did you do if you dont mind me asking. And once again GOOD JOB!!!

I've been accepted to 2 schools... got over 8 interviews... but canceled a majority of them after getting into the school I wanted to get in...

Overall GPA: 2.97
pre-req: 2.77
PCAT: 85
Reapplicant - 2nd time around
Good EC's, etc etc... :zip:

for hello18

so what schools did you get in?

Yep, I was recently accepted at UIC.

3.1 GPA
53 PCAT
5 years retail pharmacy experience
dominated the essay and interview

Nice job even though you had a GPA lower than average. It is clear that you have many other things going for yourself. What type of ECs did you do if you dont mind me asking. And once again GOOD JOB!!!

Thanks.. :) I did a variety of volunteer experiences (working with animals at humane society, out-patient pharmacy, in-patient pharmacy, nursing station, etc.) I worked a lot throughout college and even now. I believe my PS and LORs were very strong. I also had a life experience that caused me to mature relatively quickly and I wrote about this in my PS. This was a major contributor to my low gpa but I'm not making excuses, as there are many other people who go through hard times and still manage excellent grades. It does help to explain why your grades are low or were low before.

Hmm.. Yup, that's about it. I've also been working at an in-patient pharmacy for about .. 20 months now.

I have been accepted to 2 schools with pharmcas saying my overall GPA is 3.01. I got an 83 on the PCATs with a 95th percentile in chem as my highest.
Umm, I had a great personal statement, i think, great letters of rec, and i had the grade trend of my GPA constantly rising each sem. Lets just say, my freshman year, i was an idiot and after the end of freshman year i had a 2.1 so i had to work to get my GPA back to average...

but you can do it as long as you are determined and work hard...try your best...it may take more than 1 year applying but keep at it.

Good luck!

Hi. I applied to UOP also with the exact same GPA as you. I also greatly improved my GPA from my freshmen year. I have been a pharmacy technician for 2 years and I volunteered in a pharmacy for 6 months. I was also in my schools pre-pharmacy club for 2 years and I didn't even get an interview. I was wondering when you applied because they didn't get my updated grades until January????

My friend w/ a cGPA 2.86 got into 3 schools
:D:D
so happy for her
and her PCAT is 82

Awesome! Congrats! you guys are definitely giving me hope :)

I've been accepted to 2 schools... got over 8 interviews... but canceled a majority of them after getting into the school I wanted to get in...

Overall GPA: 2.97
pre-req: 2.77
PCAT: 85
Reapplicant - 2nd time around
Good EC's, etc etc... :zip: