any active duty applying to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't wear your uniform because it's dorky. THey will know you're military by reading your application before you even walk in the room. People who wear their uniforms around to non-military functions make us look like posers.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't wear your uniform because it's dorky. THey will know you're military by reading your application before you even walk in the room. People who wear their uniforms around to non-military functions make us look like posers.

Dorky? Posers? I work in military recruiting, and wearing a sharp squared-away uniform in the public domain is the best way to advertise the opportunities, benefits, pride, etc involved with military service. Posing for what exactly? How long have you been in the military, if you don't mind me asking?

Edit: saw in another post you were an army officer for 5 years. i guess i'm just a little baffled by some of your points of view.

I definitely don't think the uni's are dorky in any way - unless you're wearing a JROTC uni. However, I wore a civilian suit to my recent interview and got accepted to my dream school despite having subpar stats. My reasoning for wearing a civilian suit was that I will be a civilian for 4+ years in med school/residency while I'm doing HPSP. I have my military service pasted all over my app, but I wanted to prove that I can succeed outside the military to the people I met in a civilian environment. I also didn't feel it was necessary to throw my service in the face of other applicants and interviewers. I am proud of my service, but do not boast about it.

Wear it if you think that is what defines you and what you bring to the table.

Otherwise, the only thing anyone at the interview is going to see is your uniform. Yeah, you stand out, but you want them to see the whole picture.

Uniforms have their place, but at most civilian programs, I would think that your application would be able to sufficiently highlight your military experience.

I obviously wore mine to USUHS as it was mandated since I was on active duty at the time. The other five schools that I interviewed at this year I honestly didn't even consider wearing it (accepted at 3 of them so far, waiting to hear back from the other 2).

One guy did wear his uniform at an interview I was at...forgot his headgear and had a button ripped off his uniform in transit...now that is dorky.

If you were in the military, you probably have more than enough qualities and experiences that make you shine above an equally qualified (yet less experienced) applicant. With or without the uniform.

Best of luck to everyone.