Any Advice for retaking DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.XY

Reaction score
I am wondering should I retake DAT for the 2021-2022 cycle? Profile: A Low DAT 18AA with a high overall GPA(3.9) and sGPA (4.0), decent background, and extracurricular volunteer and shadowing experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am wondering should I retake DAT for the 2021-2022 cycle? Profile: A Low DAT 18AA with a high overall GPA(3.9) and sGPA (4.0), decent background, and extracurricular volunteer and shadowing experience.
Yes. Your low score may cause you to be auto-rejected from schools. Also, there is a discrepancy between your GPAs and your DAT, which may lead schools to think that your undergrad was really easy to do well in because you earned such a high GPA BUT you scored below average on a standardized test. Schools weigh your GPA and DAT together since that's the only way they can really tell if a undergrad was hard (like Harvard) or easy (like a community college maybe).

I'd retake by June/July and submit your application in June. At the end of this post, there are "retake success stories" that might help you: Compilation - DAT Breakdown Collection! 2017-Present

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. Your low score may cause you to be auto-rejected from schools. Also, there is a discrepancy between your GPAs and your DAT, which may lead schools to think that your undergrad was really easy to do well in because you earned such a high GPA BUT you scored below average on a standardized test. Schools weigh your GPA and DAT together since that's the only way they can really tell if a undergrad was hard (like Harvard) or easy (like a community college maybe).

I'd retake by June/July and submit your application in June. At the end of this post, there are "retake success stories" that might help you: Compilation - DAT Breakdown Collection! 2017-Present
Thank you for your advice! I am wondering can I register for the second attempt of DAT right now, but have to take it 90 days after my previous test date? Or 90 days have to pass before ADA processes the letter send to me, before scheduling with Prometrics.

Thank you for your advice! I am wondering can I register for the second attempt of DAT right now, but have to take it 90 days after my previous test date? Or 90 days have to pass before ADA processes the letter send to me, before scheduling with Prometrics.
I'm not sure about registering right now, you might find more information on the ADAs website or by calling them to ask. I think you might be able to register but the dates available to you on Prometric might only be the ones that are after 90 days (not sure if their system is that fancy/advanced). Def call ADA to get it sorted out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Brian,

What are your individual scores and are you a traditional student?

Nancy

I'm an international student and in the fourth year of my undergrad program. AA18, TS 19, PAT 17, BIO 18, OC 19, GC 21, RC 15, QR 19.
Hi Brian,

The score that needs improving the most is reading, I assume English is a 2nd language so it is indeed more challenging for you. Your others scores are average but with your high GPA is it possible you would get an interview at a school, at lot depends on where you are applying.

I am curious with your high GPA why you did not score higher in the science sections.

Nancy