Any advice on retaking undergrad courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremrsDr<3

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a nontrad. I graduated in 2016, but some of my pre-reqs were taken as far as 10 years back.
From some Dental schools: I was told it's important to retake prepreq classes.
From other Dental schools: I've been told as long as I'm taking higher-level courses, I don't have to retake!

So my BIG questions are:
does a D in microbiology + an A retaken in microbiology: 1.0 + 4.0= 2.5 in micro?
and/or
a C in Chem2 + an A retaken in Chem2: 2.0 + 4.0= 3.0 in Chem2?

or is it more like aadsas/tmdsas just adds every single grade in as a cGPA instead of substituting in the averaged microb or chem2 grade?)

My 2nd question is:
Honestly, I'm thinking JUST to retake the classes I had a C in (which are like 6 classes) and then apply? Has anyone done this, is it worth it to retake Cs?
(Basically I'd be taking 2 full semesters, along with Orgo 1&2, and hope to apply next cycle...)

Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I'm a nontrad. I graduated in 2016, but some of my pre-reqs were taken as far as 10 years back.
From some Dental schools: I was told it's important to retake prepreq classes.
From other Dental schools: I've been told as long as I'm taking higher-level courses, I don't have to retake!

So my BIG questions are:
does a D in microbiology + an A retaken in microbiology: 1.0 + 4.0= 2.5 in micro?
and/or
a C in Chem2 + an A retaken in Chem2: 2.0 + 4.0= 3.0 in Chem2?

or is it more like aadsas/tmdsas just adds every single grade in as a cGPA instead of substituting in the averaged microb or chem2 grade?)

My 2nd question is:
Honestly, I'm thinking JUST to retake the classes I had a C in (which are like 6 classes) and then apply? Has anyone done this, is it worth it to retake Cs?
(Basically I'd be taking 2 full semesters, along with Orgo 1&2, and hope to apply next cycle...)

Thanks for the advice.
Based on my experience with tmdsas, they take the average in each pre reqs category like biology(including microbio) or Ochem, so the answer to your question is yes and no depending on which way u look at it. yes they take the average but not only the average of ochem 2s, they take the average of all the ochem classes including your two ochem 2s, this is based on my PCR paper reported by tmdsas. Of course the schools can take the average of both ochems themselves but I don't know.
The answer to your second question depends on your current gpa. If its competitive then spend your time in a better way like volunteering in dental related activities or working in a dental office etc.but if you need to boost your gpa, yes that is a good idea, just try to get As in all of them and good luck!

Based on my experience with tmdsas, they take the average in each pre reqs category like biology(including microbio) or Ochem, so the answer to your question is yes and no depending on which way u look at it. yes they take the average but not only the average of ochem 2s, they take the average of all the ochem classes including your two ochem 2s, this is based on my PCR paper reported by tmdsas. Of course the schools can take the average of both ochems themselves but I don't know.
The answer to your second question depends on your current gpa. If its competitive then spend your time in a better way like volunteering in dental related activities or working in a dental office etc.but if you need to boost your gpa, yes that is a good idea, just try to get As in all of them and good luck!

Ah! Thank you!
It's not very competitive, I am the first in my family to leave for college and first-gen American. I got a lot of things wrong before I started to understand and get things right. :phantom: But hey upwards and onwards! Hopefully, I get things figured out this time around:xf:. It's been my dream ever since I was 10 :rolleyes:!
Thanks a bunch for the advice :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah! Thank you!
It's not very competitive, I am the first in my family to leave for college and first-gen American. I got a lot of things wrong before I started to understand and get things right. :phantom: But hey upwards and onwards! Hopefully, I get things figured out this time around:xf:. It's been my dream ever since I was 10 :rolleyes:!
Thanks a bunch for the advice :clap:
Well the important thing is that now you have found your way and so determined about it! keep up the hard work!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
My pre-reqs were 15 years old. I had to retake the biology and chemistry and other science classes but my 15 year old physics classes were accepted.

Reactions: 1 user