Any advice to strengthen my app would be great.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalalaaaaaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - so I'm pretty disappointed that I didn't fare well this cycle, but I'm determined to push forward--- just looking for advice --- here's what I've got:

Undergraduate:
CU-Boulder
Major: English and Biochem, minor in chem
MCAT: BS 11, PS 12, VR 9, R
cGPA: 3.63
sGPA: 3.79

I had a BAD freshman year (2.6 GPA as an Architecture major), and a GPA>3.85 the next four years.

Potential EC's for coming cycle:
-Director of a leadership program for 4 years*
-Summa cum laude in English - 120 page thesis
-Research: Magna cum laude in Biochem for thesis from undergrad lab. Worked in it for 1.5 years. We did chemotherapeutic drug design. Patent pending on our drug.
-Research: 1.5 years working full time as research assistant at a lab studying cancer at CU Med School
-TAed Intro Chem, Chem 1&2, and OChem 1&2*
-Tutor for a bunch of science classes
-TA for a college lit class taught at a local prison*
-Pre med club (AED) and volunteered at 2 hospitals
-Worked at a ropes course for three years
-Alternative breaks site leader
-Completed two leadership programs in undergrad
-Shadowed a surgeon for about 150 hrs
-Going to attend the summer bioethics program at Yale this summer.
-Working with med students at CU to go to Rwanda to do a medical study this summer
-Was in a student group for 2 years that promoted responsible drinking on campus
-I'm a writer -- Published some poetry in CU Med Schools Humanities Journal
*Potential most meaningful activities

I'm very interested in bioethics and medical humanities which is made clear on my PS.

This is basically it. I applied too top heavy the first time around, so I will pick less competitive schools. Any advice on ways to strengthen app would be great!:thumbup:

Things to consider
Should I retake MCAT? I was scoring around 36-38 on practice tests.
Should I do a Masters program in bioethics/medhumanities or public health?
Americorps?
I hate bench research at this point so I wont be doing that again...Can't decide what to do for another gap year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not applying broadly was the main problem. I don't have input about your MCAT, but if you apply early to a wide range and large enough # of places, I would expect you to be admitted. Pick something you like, can be engaged in, and will have stories about for interviews for your gap year.

Not applying broadly was the main problem.

Agreed.

I'd hesitate to suggest retaking the mcat. Practice test scores are generally said to be higher than the actual score. A 32 is a solid score for both MD and DO and you are always at risk of getting a lower score. That being said, if you have a strong preference for top MD schools, it might be worth it to you to retake it.

Your EC's are already pretty excellent. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the top heavy was a problem for sure. I was banking on getting into my state school because that is where my girlfriend is matriculating and it would be very nice to be in the same state for med school.

Any other thoughts? My clinical isn't very good, and to be honest besides shadowing wasn't all that meaningful.

Any other thoughts? My clinical isn't very good, and to be honest besides shadowing wasn't all that meaningful.

Sounds like you have a pretty good feel for what you can do to improve. If you feel your clinical experiences aren't good enough, then improve those.

Another thing you can consider is calling the schools that did not accept you and see if they would be willing to give you some pointers on how you can improve for next year. Specifically at your state school if that is really where you want to go.

Who were your LORs from? If these were not brought up as a strong point during your interview, I might seek different/better writers.

Your MDApps states an application date of mid August. Shoot for early June, it makes a world of difference from what I've seen.

Retaking the MCAT with a 32 is not typically recommended. Practice scores on AAMC full lengths can be HIGHLY variable, and are not a great indicator of actual performance. However, in your case it seems that the VR section was lowest, yet you majored in English? This section fluctuated the most for me, so maybe you simply had an off day and could reasonably increase that section by 3 points. Just don't assume your sciences sections won't drop.

Good Luck.

You're applying at Univ of CO yes? If so, your stats are marginal/average, even for in state. You need to apply day 1, no questions. You need to have your secondaries ready to go day 1. While your stats are great, they aren't THAT great that a 2mo delay was appropriate. Just for fun, have the PS readers read yours, and start working on some clinical experiences or volunteering that works more with the underserved (the prison stuff is great), what about the Denver mission soup kitchen (can't remember the exact name, I'm going to do some work with them when I get back to CO)? Another option is RVU, if you're interested in DO, or trying for neighboring states (Utah, KS)...

Who were your LORs from? If these were not brought up as a strong point during your interview, I might seek different/better writers.

Your MDApps states an application date of mid August. Shoot for early June, it makes a world of difference from what I've seen.

Retaking the MCAT with a 32 is not typically recommended. Practice scores on AAMC full lengths can be HIGHLY variable, and are not a great indicator of actual performance. However, in your case it seems that the VR section was lowest, yet you majored in English? This section fluctuated the most for me, so maybe you simply had an off day and could reasonably increase that section by 3 points. Just don't assume your sciences sections won't drop.

Good Luck.

LOR from:

English thesis adviser (VERY strong)
Biochem thesis adviser and lab PI (strong)
Current lab PI at CU SOM (very strong)
Leadership program adviser (very strong)

I might get a new one from the director of the med humanities program at CU (took a class with her), or the prof for the prison class I am tutoring for. (The interviewers actually don't see the letters before the interview at CU, so they didn't come up for that reason.)

Committee letter took 3 months to write which is why I didn't apply the first day (I thought it was ready to go right away, but it wasn't). Not sure how this happened, but it was very disappointing to see it take this long.

MCAT: Just had a really bad day on verbal, usually scored around 11-13. Never actually scored below a 9 on a practice test. Kind of laughed when I got my scores back because I was a lit major. I'm actually most disappointed with Physical Sci. I probably won't retake unless I don't get in the coming cycle.

You're applying at Univ of CO yes? If so, your stats are marginal/average, even for in state. You need to apply day 1, no questions. You need to have your secondaries ready to go day 1. While your stats are great, they aren't THAT great that a 2mo delay was appropriate. Just for fun, have the PS readers read yours, and start working on some clinical experiences or volunteering that works more with the underserved (the prison stuff is great), what about the Denver mission soup kitchen (can't remember the exact name, I'm going to do some work with them when I get back to CO)? Another option is RVU, if you're interested in DO, or trying for neighboring states (Utah, KS)...

Not interested in DO, but I have been looking into the soup kitchen. Plan on doing that for the next couple of months before I move to New Haven for the summer.

Does this bioethics course count for UG credit or is it for fun?

Get your app in June 1st. Start seeing if you know anyone on the adcom and see if you can get letters from people who have pull. Like Dr. Dinarello (sp) is on the BOD for the company I used to work for, and has clout... If you know people, get letters if possible from them...

And apply june 1st! Have your secondaries ready to go so when CO eventually gets around to mailing them, you submit them ASAP... And talk to LingoLaine, she may have some other suggestions...

Oh yeah, & have the PS readers go over your PS... Just do it... If they say its fine, it is, but they will give you the truth, not 'yeah its great'

Just wondering if people put in hobbies as a part of their AMCAS activities. (ie I'm really into cycling and soccer and art. Is that worth making a category for?)

Unless you do something with it, like taking at-risk kids mountain biking, I would not add it. You only get 15 activities, and I needed all of mine for jobs and volunteer things.

Unless you do something with it, like taking at-risk kids mountain biking, I would not add it. You only get 15 activities, and I needed all of mine for jobs and volunteer things.

The reason I ask is because Catylistik wrote in a thread that adcoms like to see people use one of the sections to list their hobbies (so that they know you have a way to relive stress etc in med school). I didn't add any in my first cycle because I have over 15 ECs already, but her opinion seems to carry a lot of weight around here.

I would ask LizzyM, but personally, if you have things like volunteering, shadowing, or jobs that would be bumped, it is just not worth it. You can always cover it in a secondary, but I wouldn't give it the space...

All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

Using one of your fifteen slots for a hobby or advocation on which you spend your time will help you appear more "well rounded" and as someone who enjoys free time in a fun way.

Frankly, I would exclude all "honors" and "scholarships" before I'd deep-six a hobby.

All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

Using one of your fifteen slots for a hobby or advocation on which you spend your time will help you appear more "well rounded" and as someone who enjoys free time in a fun way.

Frankly, I would exclude all "honors" and "scholarships" before I'd deep-six a hobby.

And that is why we get professional opinions!! ;)