Any Arab male pre-meds out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spitting Camel

Anteater for Life!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you been accepted? Where are you going? I just want to make sure it's not only me out there... :D

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I'll have to serve the entire Arab population alone. Man am I going to be in demand... :laugh:

ahlan wa sahlan, akhee

I'm applying this summer. I know an egpytian who's an MD/PhD at UNC.

Members don't see this ad :)
deamondeacon said:
ahlan wa sahlan, akhee

I'm applying this summer. I know an egpytian who's an MD/PhD at UNC.

Marhaba ya habibi! min wain inteh? Good luck with the application process! If you need anything, never hesitate to ask!

^ Nice! Min aina anta ta'alamtu al lughat al arabia?

Camel, ana soori, wa anta? Shukran ikteer shan al advice! Fee aya jama tadros?

deamondeacon said:
^ Nice! Min aina anta ta'alamtu al lughat al arabia?

Camel, ana soori, wa anta? Shukran ikteer shan al advice! Fee aya jama tadros?

Ana Urdoni, ooh budros fee UCI. alamet il arabi min umi ooh abui. inta'b tifhem aleya? Lema bi kelam ma il musriyeen, bifhemish aleyhum. hehe... cul degeegah lazem a'terrgim ilhum... :laugh: Bes, ana wal sooriyeeh ib nif-hem ala baath. Inta fee NC, mish? Bideck tudros fee UNC zey sahbuck?

Spitting Camel said:
Ana Urdoni, ooh budros fee UCI. alamet il arabi min umi ooh abui. inta'b tifhem aleya? Lema bi kelam ma il musriyeen, bifhemish aleyhum. hehe... cul degeegah lazem a'terrgim ilhum... :laugh: Bes, ana wal sooriyeeh ib nif-hem ala baath. Inta fee NC, mish? Bideck tudros fee UNC zey sahbuck?

Ana Masri, wenta sah lama bet ool en mesh betefham Masreyeen, 'alashan ana beshfahem Ordoyeen! :laugh:

Ana lesa mestany USF teb'atly...en shallah feh shahr Yunia men kalamee ma'ahum. Yemken a'addem tanee leh kulayat tehb alashan el sanadee makanetsh sana kewayesa leya.....USF bas el edetny "interview"

DeamonDeacon....enta Masee'hee? (deacon)....ana Maseehee Masri Orthodoxi

DrPharaohX said:
Ana Masri, wenta sah lama bet ool en mesh betefham Masreyeen, 'alashan ana beshfahem Ordoyeen! :laugh:

Ana lesa mestany USF teb'atly...en shallah feh shahr Yunia men kalamee ma'ahum. Yemken a'addem tanee leh kulayat tehb alashan el sanadee makanetsh sana kewayesa leya.....USF bas el edetny "interview"

DeamonDeacon....enta Masee'hee? (deacon)....ana Maseehee Masri Orthodoxi

Inshallah USF tiftehlec buob ha! Ana Masee'hee kaman. Ana Ortodoxi, bes min il g?ts (Greek Orthodox). Fee iktheer ortodoxi'een fee UCI, wa kulhum min il Musr (Coptic).

Spitting Camel said:
Inshallah USF tiftehlec buob ha! Ana Masee'hee kaman. Ana Ortodoxi, bes min il g?ts (Greek Orthodox). Fee iktheer ortodoxi'een fee UCI, wa kulhum min il Musr (Coptic).

Salamaat ala ku ya shabab! Ana al urduni...Ana masee'hee kaman :clap:

badros fee UCLA

derf said:
Salamaat ala ku ya shabab! Ana al urduni...Ana masee'hee kaman :clap:

badros fee UCLA

Inta Coptic, mish? Ithfathal maana. Il shai al nar... :laugh:

Inta undergraduate, o? med student? Wain bideck tudros dawa (medicine :laugh: )?

Spitting Camel said:
Inta Coptic, mish? Ithfathal maana. Il shai al nar... :laugh:

Inta undergraduate, o? med student? Wain bideck tudros dawa (medicine :laugh: )?

mish fahim shoo "coptic". Mit asif, bas ana mish gawee bel arabi.

Enshaala badros fee UCLA Geffen el sana el jia

Alah yateek el sehaa :laugh:

derf said:
mish fahim shoo "coptic". Mit asif, bas ana mish gawee bel arabi.
cul shee tamam. Coptic mish arabi. Coptic Orthodox il kineeseh orthodoxiyeh fil musr. Hatha nefs il Musri Orthodoxi?

Members don't see this ad :)
yea salam! fee arab ikteer hona!

ana muslim, wa lakin 3ande auzdauk ikteer miseeheeyoun.

So are any of you planning a trip to one of those countries? I'm planning to visit Syria next winter, inshallah, cause it's too darn hot in the summer.

Ana Souri, sophmore at Oklahoma state. I got to go there this last summer for the 2nd time :D, helped freshen up on the arabic.
Anyone know if Einstein takes arabs :D, pro palestinian ones?
oh and go to jenet blodan, the best restraunt ive been to hands down in syria or the US, it was like 1,500 feet up, great view, lebanon's lights were really visible, and jebal sheikh was great to go to, i couldnt go to palestine though, israeli troops wouldnt let me in :D, told me to turn off my camera too =/,

^ What part of Syria are you from? I was born in Damascus, and go about every other summer. It's been two summers since I haven't gone. I tell you, it changes so much.

my grandparents are in damascus, in mezzeh, and the other ones are in Taiba, close to Kiswa. Im going there in 2 years after my senior year :D.

mezzah is awesome! we'll have to meet up there or somethin. they've got really good places to eat.. :( I wish i could go there now.

it was weird, meeting the grandparents, and uncles and cousins for the first time :D. We had about400 ppl in the airport kissing up on me, and there like remember me, i went there when i was 8 the first time :D. Syria was fun, haircuts were a dollar, and they shaved you :D. It would have been nice to find someone that spoke English there, would have been more fun.
What part of damascus ya from?

Hello All,

I am an egyptian who has been accepted and will be attending Drexel in the fall. Good to see you there are others representing. Good luck to the rest still applying.

RU

Salam to all you guys, this the first time i post on this board ironically its in an arab thread hahaha. I too am from Damascus, Syria im studying here at U of Michigan. I think we need to meet up if anyone is going to syria this summer cuz i am. I live in mezzah el gharbieh by jamaa al akram. I think it would be cool to meet you guys there and hang out. For those of you from mezzah did you see the bombing that happened on autostrad el mezzah.

Peace

Hazem

Ya Salam!

I never lived in Syria, but my parents' families are all over Damascus, from Midan to Malki to Gisr Al Aubyaud. My parents are building a house in Dumar.

Abe, don't worry about your Arabic. I can speak Arabic pretty well... at least that's what I thought until I met my dad's cousins. They say with a heavy accent "You don't practice enough at home." Yea right, I speak arabi at home 50 to 75% of the time. Then when I use my arabi, people are always "Min whain anta?" That's pretty sad. But I took a few classes here to show them (and not get gipped anymore in the taxis).

I haven't heard anything about the thing in Mezzah. That's pretty sad.

- Firas

The last time I was in the Middle East was in 1988. It has been so long, and there is so much family that has grown up and new cousins that have been born that it's like I'm going to be meeting strangers. Of course I know they are family and I alreeady love them, but you know what I mean. And Now Med School starts in Sept. (8 years including residency) and then God knows how long it will take until I get an opportunity to go visit.

My Arabic is OK. The only problem is my brain turns to mush in front of the older males of the family. They expect so much and I don't feel like I measure up :( My greatest fear is that me kids will not speak arabic at all... :scared:

my grandparents live a block off the estrad, grandpa was pissed about it, but didnt say much on the phone, maybe cuz he didnt want to get in trouble or anything, censorship is crazy up there, taxi cab driver yelled at me and tried to take my camera away because i was taping the presidents house =o.

Haha, about the cousins... they're so many of them I couldn't even beging to tell you all their names... heck I even get my dad's brothers' names mixed up :confused:

Taxi drivers are bad. But the good thing is that we don't have to take that baccalaureate exam at the end of the year like everyone else. I felt bad for my two cousins who repeated the exam twice and still were so close to getting that score to be physicians. Now they're in engineering? :(

I know its nutty, really competitive. One of my aunts really pissed me off there, I told her i wasnt decided yet about whethere I wanted to be a doctor or not, she told me don't come back if you arent one ='(. My parents said she was joking, but I wont talk to her again. All of them were pushing for doctor, my grandpa was up my ass the whole time about it. Thats the only thing I hated about Syria :D. Oh and I still dont know some of my aunts names lol

Yeah, good old syrians... they really want the best for you but it's hard to know whether they're joking or serious. Not all of them, but they usually always have the best intentions.

My aunt who's lived here most of her life tried to convince me not to be a doctor because of all the stress and years of edu I've gotta go through. (yeah, right!)

Speaking of Taxi Drivers...

The reason we haven't been back to Jordan is because when we were there in '88, our car was hit by a taxi driver (who then drove off) and we lost out grandmother as a result. We would have gone off of a cliff, but there was a street light that stopped us. Talk about divine intervention... It was the only one around!

And guys, the pressure is not restricted to Syrians :laugh: Jordanians and Egyptians are the same. Don't know about Lebanese, though. They are a lot more liberal over there...

On an unrelated note...

One guy once asked me... "so, you're Jordanese?" All I could do was smile, and then correct him. He was Lebanese, too!! :laugh:

Born in Hollywood, California but baba and mama are both from Syria!!!

I'll be attending Western Univ. of Health Sciences/COMP in the fall!

what up brothas!?

DoHzA said:
Born in Hollywood, California but baba and mama are both from Syria!!!

I'll be attending Western Univ. of Health Sciences/COMP in the fall!

what up brothas!?

What up, man? Wow! All of these Syrians! That's awesome! Were my Jordanians at, huh? :laugh:

You might want to get to know Adapt... he might be going there this year too.

Adapt a.k.a. Mr. slickness is Arabic???
no way
from where

DoHzA said:
Adapt a.k.a. Mr. slickness is Arabic???
no way
from where

No, haha... he's not, but he might be going to your school this year if Loma Linda doesn't pull through..

pretty safe svet, seen some Americans up there, people seemed nice to them because they wanted their money :D. If you dont know arabic your going to get raped badly money wise, if you speak syrian arabic, than your golden. Pay $10 dollars to feed a bunch of people in nice restaurants. Saudis get raped as well moneywise so not just you :D. Make sure you bring some hookahs with your there cheap :D, i brought my own here, too lazy to set it up often though.

Abe said:
pretty safe svet, seen some Americans up there, people seemed nice to them because they wanted their money :D. If you dont know arabic your going to get raped badly money wise, if you speak syrian arabic, than your golden. Pay $10 dollars to feed a bunch of people in nice restaurants. Saudis get raped as well moneywise so not just you :D. Make sure you bring some hookahs with your there cheap :D, i brought my own here, too lazy to set it up often though.

Do you really call it hookah? I only do because that's how others know what it is. We call it ergeelih... don't you?

My mom told me to watch out for syrian girls. She says gawiyat :laugh:

no its argila, but i get use to call it hooka. whats gawiyat? Why did this thread have to be males only :D

Abe said:
no its argila, but i get use to call it hooka. whats gawiyat? Why did this thread have to be males only :D

Gawiyat is like stubborn and strong-minded.

About the thread being all male... I'll change the title right now... hopefully we can get some hilwat to join us ;)

I was like, what's up with "Arab male"? why not just "Arabic premeds?" I know how it is though, you're just trying to be all modest and what not.

By the way, the price of a ticket to Syria is $1500!!! Good Lord!

Also, do you guys consider yourself caucasian? I consider Arabs as caucasians because they and the europeans were from one race. I know a Jordanese guy who said he's Latino because there wasn't anything else that matched him.

deamondeacon said:
I was like, what's up with "Arab male"? why not just "Arabic premeds?" I know how it is though, you're just trying to be all modest and what not.

By the way, the price of a ticket to Syria is $1500!!! Good Lord!

Also, do you guys consider yourself caucasian? I consider Arabs as caucasians because they and the europeans were from one race. I know a Jordanese guy who said he's Latino because there wasn't anything else that matched him.

Jordanese? Are you kidding? I thought we went over this... :D It's Jordanian.

When asked on the AMCAS Application, I put other/none of the above for race, and wrote in Middle-Eastern for ethnicity. That's how I made myself known.

Oh, and it won't let me change it to just Arab :(

Ya akhee, it's too late for me to think... Jordanese did sound a little funny, though.. :D

So if you were originally from France, wouldn't you consider yourself caucasian? Or would you still consider yourself French as a race? It seems a bit odd to have a Arab race,

but that's just my 2c and I hope I didn't offend anyone.

SYRIA IS really safe, much safer than most cities in the U.S. First off, you can go outside at 12 a.m. (midnight) and stroll down the streets. If you didn't have a watch, you'd think it was 8 p.m. What's even cooler is that people DO respect you as a foreigner. They want to hear your stories, they want you to drink their tea, they want to feed you until you're full and over-full, they really want the best for you and treat you very generously.

Yeah, they may boycott some American products. But most Syrians I know of (my cousins and their friends) are like... cool! Ajnabi is the word for foreign and thus far has a positive connotation.

i put down middle eastern/arabic, i make my own box if needed, im not white, im a minority, I put syrian down sometimes too :D. You are right about everyone giving you stuff and asking you to eat with them. Their hospitality is amazing. And at 1:00 am guys can stroll around but no woman =/. And whats up with the tight pants on the guys? I had to bum some off my cousins. And no one wears shorts.

I am syrian too, man we are way over-represented here is the US. I know at least 10 kids from my community center that are in medical school and now me too. Its just sad.

Dude, it depends on where you're livin...

I know hardly any Syrians here, but all the ones I do know are very well educated and professional

Egyptians, on the other hand... They're fun to have at a party!

Jordan people are intelligent and steadfast in their studies, but the ones I know are way too serious and uptight (but that's only 4 guys)

But... I'd have to say that Syrians are probably the most educated in the mid east.

Before you fusillade me with criticisim, let me run and duck. ;)

I always thought being arabic was an ethnicity and not a race. Just like with Hispanic, where there are caucasian and non caucasian Hispanics. I know there are many black's in arab countries, not to mention somalia and sudan are in the arab league.

I'm black but have arabic heritage and grew up in the middle east and always classify myself as black. If there was a 2nd option I guess I'd put arabic.

good to hear about ayrabs getting in to places though, gives me hope...

I say syrians are the smartest arabs wherever they live and not just in the middle east. Our genes are just superior!
And Friday, yeah I agree, arabs come in all colors

Shangal, you're absolutely right!

Yeah, I agree that Arab isn't really a race. In fact, I'm sure that's where a lot of Europeans, Africans, and Asians came from.

I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but Damascus rules!!!

Jordanians are humble in their superior intelligence and good looks, and as good/traditional arabs, we let Syrians think they are smarter. It's common knowledge in Jordan. Sorry to break it to you all.

hala shabaab, Hey whats up guys, it is so good to hang out with all my fellow arab premeds. As for me, I am a jordanian christian (JORDANESE :) ) yalla salam...
P.s: it would be a good idea to have some females in here!

Nah not quite caucasian, more like Semitic. Like me, cept I'm a Jew (am I white then?). :) It's too bad Jews and Arabs don't get along in international politics, we used to be more friendly (e.g. Spain). Jews used to call their kids Ishmael a long time ago.

I'd consider most Jews from Isreal to be caucasian, as well. Again, it's a race. But who am I to judge?

Oh, Jordanese have "good looks and superior intelligence"? :eek: :laugh: That'll only apply to that special one percent of Jordan, :p