Any Arab male pre-meds out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Welcome, my fellow Jordanian!! I assume you're either greek orthodox or catholic, right? Wain tudrus?

DrOwen said:
P.s: it would be a good idea to have some females in here!

I know, man. I tried to change the title of the thread, but "the man" wouldn't let me :(

Members don't see this ad.

You got ta love the jordanians, good people in heart, awsome people compared to other non-jordanians, but just not as good as syrians.
On a serious note, don't you guys think it is wrong that there are to many arabs in medical schools. In my school we have like a 10% arab/ south asian class. I am not saying that it should be harder for us to get in but we should try changing our mentalities and maybe do something different. Like teach high school or something.
And about the jewish comment, I agree, they are more semitic then caucasian. We kind of look alike. If the israelis just give palestinians their rights I guess the whole conflict will die eventually. I mean why can't we just get along.

Syrians love medicine and engineering and anything smart. What can I say, we're gifted ;)

I don't think there are as many arabs in med schools here in the south. I'd say about 1% of the class is Arab at UNC (one egyptian ... but he looks syrian).

At ECU, it's probably 0% Arab. Duke, it's more like 5% and they're lebanese. Wake Forest, I think there's a few Muslims, but not Arab.

Michigan... that's a different story... same goes for NJ and NY.

About the Jew thing, you would classify yourself as Other or White?Caucasian?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it is different in the south. Michigan schools are packed with us arabs. And I'd say its more because of parental pressure than actually being gifted. Our mothers are always competing. They should just chill!

Yes, I admit the mothers love the competition and can get ferocious!

Most Arabs here are into engineering. Good Lord! Hopefully that's a good thing. From the faculty to the students, the engineering department is probably used to seeing so many arab engineers... from electrical to civil to nuclear :eek:

Our mom's, gotta love them for the effort. I mean if it wasn't for their competitiveness I guess we would've grew up to be bums. Well at least that's what she tells me all the time. I remember my options growing up, garbage man, dog catcher, doctor. Man, talk about family pressure.
And yeah, I noticed we have alot of engineers as well, but most of them were born overseas. I guess engineering is on the top 10 list of what syrians want to do

Why in hell are you living in oklahoma? Man, I didn't know that arabs were even allowed to live there!

community of arabs is getting pretty big here, saudis up the ass for University of Tulsa big petroleum school, and more people living here and starting families 10,000 muslims or so in tulsa. When my parents first got here in 82, there was about 1,000.

Still, if I were you I'd get the hell out of there. oklahoma, come on! I bet there are alot of arab-phobes, yup I just created a word, over there, just move to a more tolerant and civilized state.

Oklahoma might be out in the nowhere, but Alhamdullilah ya akhee. If the arabs there left, the "arab-phobes" would grow and become even more phobic. There wasn't anything in OK anyway that people would be prejudice against Arabs.

I know this one Egyptian here who grew up in the southern boonies... He's got a real heavy southern accent, which doesn't match his looks at all. But it just goes to show that we can live anywhere and survive.

I lived in the Amish country in Pennsylvania. Very few Arabs, but I got used to it since I grew up there. But the others who just moved in couldn't stand it. Some have been there for generations, you'd never even think they were Arab. Because the community there was Italian, i guess they were more Italianized.

But, I thought it was cool living 5 minutes from the Amish. Can you imagine an Arab Amish?

Members don't see this ad :)
you know what they say, arab amish make the best farmers

Oh I put down white/Caucasian because I'd probably get strange looks from admissions people if I said other. The fact is, all humans are related from Kenyans about 100,000 years ago.

The thing is Jews and Arabs are pretty closely linguistically and culturally related. After all Michael or Gabriel are common names for Jews -- Micah (who is like) - El (God).

El is related to the word Allah. If Semitic were for Jews and Arabs a common identity...

I think we're thinking way ahead of our time unfortunately tho. Like they said in Independence Day "you and I might be smart but people are stupid". The whole religious cleansing thing in 1947 and mutual mistrust starting in the 1920s set us back for 200 years :( :( :(

Shangal, that was hilarious! I was talking to my mom on the phone when I looked at that, I was about to crack out laughing, but I didn't want her to think I wasn't paying attention. Geeze, talking about bad timing!

I agree with you, thewebthsp. It's nice to know that you don't hate the Arabs. I guess when you live in Isreal / Palestine, there's more pressure to take sides. It's just back and forth, back and forth. Very depressing, it's like wth they're fighting on Holy land!

I do that all the time, not pay attention to my mom when we talk on the phone. I always try to find distractions. Not that I am proud of it, but geez, mom's don't stop talking!

^Unless they're overseas.... then I wanna know every detail about everything and everyone.

I think it's just a guy thing to not pay attention very well to girls.

Salaam Everyone,

I'm a Yemeni pre-med graduating from Union College, NY and waited listed in Buffalo medical, inshallah i hear from them soon. Good Luck to all of you starting your application.

If there any freshmens or sophomores you can apply to a program in Mt. Sinai school of medicine and get accepted without taking your MCATS, The Program is called Humanities in Medicine.

Check it out and Good luck.

~ICe

All these arab boys in here...where are the gals? :) Ana massrehya will be attending medical school in CA this fall...YAY! It's going to be between UC Davis and UCLA. It's nice to meet all of you! If any of you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Also, I'm interested in know if there's any copts out there? Make sure to say hello! :)

The spittingcamel is trying to hook up with the coptic girl. I know that was kind of immature but I had to say it. It was that or the K-I-S-S-I-N-G song. Can't help myself.
And I agree deamon, I love to know what's going on with the family overseas, but I am really not interested in knowing that my sister is a brat and ungreatful. Man, if my mom just knew that I said that she will kill me. I mean pinch me and then say swallow it!

So i take it all of you have moved out? At 19 they still want me to commute 2.5 hours everyday, to get to school. My parents are both syrian, and my dad is somewhat of a religious nutjob :D, we barely get along. Howd you guys get them to let you move out? Im moving out this year, but they dont know yet, a big fight will happen i know it especially from my dad, whose too busy trying to keep me away from da girls at OSU :D.

Abe said:
So i take it all of you have moved out? At 19 they still want me to commute 2.5 hours everyday, to get to school. My parents are both syrian, and my dad is somewhat of a religious nutjob :D, we barely get along. Howd you guys get them to let you move out? Im moving out this year, but they dont know yet, a big fight will happen i know it especially from my dad, whose too busy trying to keep me away from da girls at OSU :D.

I still live at home. :( If they had it their way, I would grow old here. Every time I mention stuff about girls or marriage, my mom starts to cry or tells me it's aib to talk about it. They are in denial that I might move to the other coast, but I secretly LOVE IT!!!

interviewers say anything about you living with your parents? Everyone says how they want mature students, independent goes with mature to me =o. Plus i got 4 siblings, and i get zero studying done at home =).

Yeah, haha, LONG STORY. I love my family a lot, so when I'm at home, I do NO studying. I'll sit at the dinner table and talk with my mom for an hour, go wash up, and then talk more... and then watch some good ole nickelodeon with the lil brother. By the time I know it, it's 11pm and I have tons of reading. I eventually stayed in the school library, which is a 30 minute drive from home... and I have a curfew at 11pm. (of all the people, why me?) They trust me, and I know that, but they're scared of me getting hit by a drunk driver (because of a terrible prior experience with a drunk driver nearly killing me).

Long story short, I moved on campus when they were gone for the day. They never really approved of it, but good ole dad payed for it through tuition. They got used to me living on campus, but it was really hard for them at first. But they realized I'm doing it for the grades. If you need any more tips or whatever, let me know.

Abe, your parents were here since the 80s, right? They'll understand (eventually).

Abe said:
interviewers say anything about you living with your parents? Everyone says how they want mature students, independent goes with mature to me =o. Plus i got 4 siblings, and i get zero studying done at home =).

I think one did, but I just said how I welcomed moving away in order to gain greater independence and personal growth. Staying home so long is really detrimental to our ability to function as independent adults. It does more bad than the good our parents perceive.

Hi Spitting Camel...It's definately ok. PM me and let me know what the delimma is...I may be able to help :)

^Alf mabrooka 3alal koubool ila al med school, ya smilie!

I used to commute to school for 2 years, but it reached a point where I thought I was waisting to much time in the car and was sick of it. But that's along time ago, now I am alot older, I don't feel that comfortable staying home anymore, I guess its because I get to many lectures home and that kills me.

I feel you, ya akhee Shangal.

Driving forever and getting lectured = bad day.

I think parents who raised good enough children who'll be doctors are good at lecturing. (I think?)

You'd think, nah I am kidding, my mom is pretty awsome. I guess I should stop dissing her. All she wants from me is to settle down with a nice syrian, prefferably shammi, girl and she'll be happy. I guess she can't wait till after I graduate from med school.

^ I wish I was in the position. Even thinking about a girl is too early for me here. But yeah, shammiat are my only choices

my mom wants me to get a shammi too, even though she didnt marry one. No logic ever with them. I spent 3 hours fighting with them yesterday about moving. Eventually it came down to me saying it didnt matter what they thought anyway, its not like they pay a cent of my college fees right now. Not on talking terms with my dad, and he took the housing contract and wont bring it out. He told my mom how could i let him go, he doesnt even pray I'm muslim, but really dont care for religion right now :D.

Abe! Abe, Abe, Abe, buddy, pal, you never, NEVER, tell your shammi mother or syrian father that you don't care what they thought! La howla la kowitubillah (I could never say it right). Is your mom Muslim ,too? Usually it's always the mothers that's 10x more religious than the dad.

Are you moving on campus or into an apartment? DId you tell them anything about a roommate? That will be a killer. Just wait for things to calm down, and then you just have to test the waters, so to speak.

Ya haram, Spitting Camel. It's okay, don't worry about that girl because everything happens for the best. She'll regret it one day, and you'll find someone much better who's also in your med school.

maybe they've just been in teh closet for the past 1400 years...

Hey hey hey...cool it on the Copts :p I can't speak for all Copts, but for me personally it's not the denomination you are, but how close of a relationship you have with God.

As for that girl you're interested in, maybe she was worried if you would join the Coptic church and baptize your kids Coptic? My mom was Antiochian and Dad was Coptic...there were a few bumps in the road like different feast days and stuff, but they've made it 23 years strong! I think the fact that they're both Egyptian may have helped, but not sure.

As for the issue of whether Copts consider themselves Arab and stuff, I've heard about it before too. If you read up on the history, it makes sense why they claim it. I personally try not to make a big deal out of it...I'm lucky if people even know what Coptic is :D

I'd rather hook up with a a libnani girl, hottest chicks in the middle east, plus their accent's are awsome

libnani's are the hottest WITH make up. without it, they're somethin else

the prettiest women on earth are in lebanon, and their not so damn religious win win combo. If i had to move to an arabic nation it would be lebanon.

Abe said:
the prettiest women on earth are in lebanon, and their not so damn religious win win combo. If i had to move to an arabic nation it would be lebanon.

I think their attitude there makes them that much less attractive to me. And what about the state of lebanon right now? They are in trouble with poverty running rampant. It make me so sad :(

They are in trouble with poverty running rampant.
Wonder why? :D. Arabic mentality needs to change, i know everything american is sinful, but were stuck in the old ages, with dictators, and no one with the balls to stand up to it. The moderates are always too quiet in the arab countries =/. Woman are still treated like crap, and raped, but its all hush hush. For people that say we live in the stone ages their partly right. Infrastructure in all these countries ****ty imo, and their leaders are too busy building mansions. When are we going to have our own revolution is the question?

Abe said:
They are in trouble with poverty running rampant.
Wonder why? :D. Arabic mentality needs to change, i know everything american is sinful, but were stuck in the old ages, with dictators, and no one with the balls to stand up to it. The moderates are always too quiet in the arab countries =/. Woman are still treated like crap, and raped, but its all hush hush. For people that say we live in the stone ages their partly right. Infrastructure in all these countries ****ty imo, and their leaders are too busy building mansions. When are we going to have our own revolution is the question?

It has to be done for them, sad to say, or in 10 generations, all of the older dictator type a$$holes will be dead and in hell for not looking out for the welfare of their people.

Oh, wait... can you tell I am bitter?

Arab Union is what we need something thats useful. you know the abuse the americans did to the iraqis happens everyday, but now their having protests. My freinds dad lost his ear, for saying something about a dictator. Happens every ****ing day, people say something, and their put to jail for life. But no outrage their.

It's a sad, sticky situation.

But before you expect the dictators and the kings and whatever to change, the people themselves got to change. I HATE it when I hear Arabs complain complain and complain about their leaders, and they do NOTHING about problems they cause.

Examples:

In Syria,

There's no nizam (organization).

People don't wait in line, they shove and push to get to the beginning. Sucks for people like me because it's irritating has heck. They don't have respect for each other. Then they complain as to why there are so many soldiers/officers patroling places.

Most Syrians are dirty as heck. No wonder NJ and MI are so polluted. Did I mention that the Syrians will throw their litter wherever on the street? Where's the respect for their country? My lil cousin threw his ice cream wrapper on the street. I told him to pick it up, and he's like it's okay, there's someone that'll pick it up for him.

Then, people don't have the time to take out the trash, so a lot of people just throw it out the window... Who gives a cow if it lands on some tourist? (Personal experience :mad: ) Where's the respect now? If the apartment building stairs are dirty, NO ONE will clean the entire thing. Now, they clean their floor and shove the dirt on people beneath them expecting others to pick after them :mad:

Did I mention practically 80% of the citizens cheat their system? If you get a ticket, you don't suck it up and learn from it. No, you just bribe the officer and go and speed again. Illegal copies of software, who gives a damn? This is a total disrespect for their religion, ESPECIALLY the Muslims. Muslims, I think, tend to think if it is not in the Quran, then it is okay. So if you can get around the system, then who cares? Where's the respect now? Don't even get me started on CHEATING ON COLLEGE EXAMS (wth).

People don't have a sense of VOLUNTEERING. I don't think there's even an ARabic word for it. The one way to improve their society is to start realizing that there's more meaning to doing things they would normally pay/force someone else to do, if it is done at all. If they had a sense of respect for each other, they'd improve a lot more!

The list can go on and on. But before we expect to change our leaders, we have to change ourselves for the better. There's already too much bad in us to point out the bad in others.

my uncle told me the litter makes you feel like your never alone at night or something like that. It walks with you on a windy day. One of the lame sayings :D. I seen ppl leave dumps by doors on apartments. Piss on corners on stairs is usual. The traffic is lovely, beep here beep here, and youll get somewhere. If you dont have a horn might as well not drive. Has anyone heard of red meaning stop? My uncle has a police siren to get ppl to move out of the way, even than they dont move lol.

Abe said:
I seen ppl leave dumps by doors on apartments. Piss on corners on stairs is usual. The traffic is lovely, beep here beep here, and youll get somewhere.

:scared: I think it depends on where the apartments are (concerning the poop) :scared:

about the traffic, yeah have they ever heard of SINGLE FILE? I mean, good Lord! What about parking and blocking other cars off, but not giving a piece of bull? :mad:

where the hell did you all go...

this thread finally drags me out of the recesses of this website to register for a screen name and all that jazz, and then you all just split!!! Eh el arf dah...i'm not egyptian, but I play one on tv :)

ok, you got my attention... tell me a little about yourself.

Let's start with what the heck you just tried to say in Arabic :laugh:

ill keep bitching to keep this going :D.
Why does everyone think what everybody else thinks? My parents (syrian) are always telling about how other people will think of me. Who gives a ****??