any bad osteopathic schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngjock

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what i read in this forum, it seems that Nova is a bad apple.

is there any other bad schools that i should avoid when i apply?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Why is it a bad apple?

mig

youngjock-

NOVA is not a bad school at all, quite the contrary. Try not to rule any school out based on the opinions of a few people. Go to the school, and learn about it for yourself. I was quite pleased with the school when I interviewed there. Good luck to you.

------------------
Sara
UHS Class of 2004

Members don't see this ad :)
here are the two posts that talked about nova.

of course, there are some others said good things about nova.

ADRIANSHOE
posted 03-15-2000 01:28 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOVA in spanish means DONT GO. literally
the previous person who claims to be a fourth year student should provide you with their graduation date, i suspect they aren't a fourth year student at all. it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't part of the adminstration. The same adminstration that threatens students with secret files and pressures the students not to write email postings of their true feelings about this place. To state that NOVA prepares you for part two comlex is assinine. The ob/gyn here is practically nil and 30% of the test is ob/gyn. the only thing that prepares you for comlex here is clinical rotations and these are done at various hospitals with volunter staff and have NOTHING to do with NOVA...at least that is nova's excuse when the numerous complaints roll in about hospitals using certain instructors despite their lack of moral integrity and/or teaching ability year in and year out.
NOVA exists to make money, the first two years we are bombarded with useless classes that exist solely for the grant writers...ethnocultural medicine four hours, rural medicine four hours, etc...classes that will REALLY IMPACT on your core philosphies in life and make you a better person....bet the farm on that one.
Sarcasm alert for the sarcasm impaired._
with the exception of anatomy and histology, the first year courses were poorly presented, poorly tested and poorly corrected when the flaws were exposed.
the second year classes were taught by volunteer physicians whose sole criteria wasn't verbal skill, wasn't licensure and wasnt clarity of thought...I think the sole criteria was UH. they were the first folks to say uh sure i'll talk spontaneously for an hour....
OMM is treated like an ugly stepsister here.
now try to picture this:
NOVA SOUTHEASTERN COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE, (psssss....we really dont care if you bother to learn it, we only named it that for licensing/certification purposes)and god forbid (humor alert for the informed reader) if anyone incorporate it into second year instruction.
i could go on, but since other than the outside faux furnishing and nouveau riche trappings there isn't much substance here, i would just say, stick to the spanish interpretation...put nova last on your list and remember GUADALAJARA has very nice people
HUMOUROUS ASIDE: i actually had a third year student recently suggest i NOT say anything negative about NOVA because it might "waterdown" my degree....I guess medical ethics Four credit hours didn't make a lot of impact with this unethical advocate of the "keep quiet don't rock the boat school"...sorry, bub I PAY THE FREIGHT HERE AND IF I'm UNHAPPY WITH THE PRODUCT YOU BET YOU ASPIRATIONS OF GREATNESS I'M gonna be verbose on the topic. kick me out, i have a great lawfirm. divorce will do that for a man.
can you imagine someone telling Gandi or Mandella or Buddha or uh Me for that matter...don't rock the boat???? talk about aspirations of vacumness. get castrated take lots of propecia and baaaa a lot because you might as well be a sheep. dissenting views appreciated, humour preferred.

MyBloodyValentine

posted 04-20-2000 05:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright. You've probably never seen me on these boards before. But I used to be on, circa, 1996-7 (w/ a diff. name). Before I got into D.O. school...like many of you, I used to hit the board at least twice a day. I only HOPED to get an email as honest/explicit as what I'll say.
I post this here b/c I want to tell the prospective D.O. students and not the "general" (read: M.D.) audience.

1. D.O.'s don't have Pathology labs during system courses. This is a disadvantage b/c, as everyone knows, "pictures are worth a thousand words". if we don't see the pic's...the path just isn't as meaningful- and you won't learn it as strong. Also, if you plan on taking the USMLE, there's going to be plenty of glossy histo-path pics. to look over. best of luck remembering Reed-Sternberg cells from a plasma cell. ha.

1b. On a related note, have you all noticed (in brochures, web page) that many of our school's 2nd yr. curriculums are "bundled" in such a way that it's almost impossible to discern how many hours are spent in lab or lecture? that's why I never knew we wouldn't have path lab during 2nd yr. it's a slick move, bundling. instead of saying how many hours of Pharmacology, Pathology etc... they'll just call it Cardiology..GI...Endocrinology. Sure, it's presented like that during system lectures but shouldn't they have a break down as well?

2. Osteopathic Medical schools don't have paid Clinical Professors in their teaching hospitals. In fact, they don't even OWN teaching hospitals. In fact they have "volunteers" at "community hospitals". What's the differences? A paid clinical professor is obliged to teach you b/c of a financial tie w/ the school you're at. In most tradional medical programs, the school owns the hospital next door to it. Not so w/ D.O. schools. That's not a bad thing, in and of itself. However, our schools simply go out and signs up "volunteers" at conveniently located "community hospitals". At these hospitals, if you learn anything - surprise, you do it on your own (like basic science) b/c a volunteer attending physician will place your learning priorities at the very bottom for the most part (though I'm sure there are some good doc's). I guess THAT'S why we still have that outdated Internship huh?

3. Many of the schools will have rotations which are not at a hospital but in a clinic! this is not unlike what many m1/m2 students go thru w/ a physician mentor, following the doctor as s/he sees patients. you may not mind this, but realize that you won't be allowed to do ANYthing remotely involved w/ medicine (i.e anything invasive). instead, you will simply be left to history taking and physical examination. physician mentoring for months! I know you'll say "H&P is 90% of the diagnosis! so it IS good." well H&P will only go so far when you're a 4th year trying to look good in an elective, and you've got to catheterize someone.

4. in many D.O. school(s), there are mandatory classes, with examinations, which have little to do w/ anything related to medicine. the Osteopathic schools do this because they recieve cash-money grants from various sources to fill up their coffers and nothing else. Most importantly though, they take away time for more important studying.

5. Osteopathic Medicine is just not cost effective. Once you hit the real world, those 2 words, "cost effective" will hit hard. Now think about it in terms of your own personal future. Consider this: where the hell is our money going? If you're paying $18K - $25K in tuition, and you don't have a Path Lab (or Micro lab I forgot to mention (at most D.O. schools)), you don't have paid clinical staff, your school is getting extra grant money...where is the $ going and why does it still cost you 18-25K? it's simply not worth it. yet, tuition amazingly continues to rise, while quality doesn't.

6. Finally, don't ever get your hopes too high for D.O visibility. The AOA is far too busy trying to get all of us to pursue D.O. internships and residencies (oh never mind that there are more students than D.O. residencies available). No, instead the AOA will foolishly squander your dues and at the end of the year say among it's members "Yes, we have a fine advertising plan ahead of us...yes we do...". well what good is it to toot your own horn amongst yourselves? nobody in a room full of D.O's is going to argue about visiblity...go out and inform the crowd that knows nothing about it - TV Advertising! the AOA even has an ad set up ...but they they haven't put it out (except for, maybe, in Kirksville). but the AOA is too busy doing other things.

I will probably come across as someone who's bitter b/c they've failed, or they've been kicked out, or b/c they're a senior who wasn't accepted to any med school at all. The honest truth, though, is that I'm a 2nd year D.O. student who is winding up basic science and realizes they would've done things different given a 2nd chance (to go D.O or not).

I'm not disgruntled, I'll get by, but I just want people to know what I wish I knew at the time of decision-making. I'm not biting the hand that feeds me b/c what I'm saying are facts, and not opinions.

-MBV, DO2002

[This message has been edited by MyBloodyValentine (edited 04-20-2000).]

Wow!

Anyway, I am a third year from WVSOM and we had path lab in every system.

Billie

NSUCOM is a fine school. It will give you the tools to enable you to become a fine doctor, as any DO school. Take the postings here with a grain of salt... that is, don't ignore them, but there are various sides to every story. I loved my undergrad institution... all aspects of it... academic, people, social life, etc... But there are lots of people I know who would say they hated my ungrad school, for all the reasons I loved it. It all depends. Look for yourself and then you can make the best decision.

-NSUCOM Class of '04

Here's my 2 cents worth. You get out of ANY medical school exactly what you put into it. There are no bad or good medical schools, just those that have a big name and alot of federal funding for research which somehow seems to get equated with ability to train good clinical physicians. I fail to see the connection! Just my opinion!

Hey, man don't pay to much attention to all the posts of adrian. most of theses post were posted in a time when adrian had a on going battle with nova administration. The school is just fine. The education is excellent and anybody that decide on going to Nova for med school will get as good education as in any other school.
Keep posting.

------------------
siul

Hey siul, what was the whole deal with Adriann and the NSU administration anyway? It sounds like they really pissed him off. I've heard his side of the story, but it is hard to separate truth from delusional rhetoric. I'm not trying to be insulting to Adrian Shoelace, but we all have a tendency
to skew our view of things when we feel that we have been wronged.

travisco, the deal with adrian and nova was that adrian felt like the new dean of the NSU-COM was implamenting censorship policies in the school and he was not happy with some of the clinical rotations in prison that they do. I am sure that if you do a search of all of adrian you would get the whole story bcz for a month adrian posted tons of messages in this site. The bottom line is the the school is just fine and people becomes great doctors.
keep posting.

------------------
siul

adrian has his side of stories, still nova doesn't seem to have the hardware to provide efficient education for the students.

so nova is out of my list.

any other schools that i should avoid?

Originally posted by Billie:
Wow!

Anyway, I am a third year from WVSOM and we had path lab in every system.

Billie

wow, youngjock WHAT A BIGGGGGGG MISTAKE! Nova is an excellent school with awesome facilities and excellent area. you should really reconsider your decision but it is all pu to you.
keep posting.

------------------
siul

Youngjock,

You should really look into Nova, it is a great school. If you are thinking about not going because of one student's comments, then that's a huge mistake. You should also take into account the good comments about the school. Just a thought. Good Luck wherever you go.

Rocky

Members don't see this ad :)
1. D.O.'s don't have Pathology labs during system courses
2. Osteopathic Medical schools don't have paid Clinical Professors in their teaching hospitals.
4. in many D.O. school(s), there are mandatory classes, with examinations, which have little to do w/ anything related to medicine

those were written by mybloodyvalentine.

then another nova student adrianshoe said:"

Where I go to school, our pathology and microbiology Lab (practical) coursework is quite rudimentary. so in a specific sense i agree that at least one school that HAPPENS to be a DO school conforms to MBV's statements. I do not assert that ALL schools conform to his statements.

Where I go to school there are mainly volunteer clinicians at many of the REQUIRED rotations which DO NOT have MD and DO students rotating together. "

so i think that they are speaking the truth. i am not trying to put nova, i was simply asking if there is any other schools that i should avoid. I guess nova is the only one from what i read.

Every school (DO and MD) is going to have their respective good and bad points. Yes, adrianshoe and MBV decided to post somewhat negative comments about Nova. That's fine. It's understood that a school is not going to be inherently perfect, there will be some flaws. However, what if students from the other 18 DO schools decided to post a negative comment about their schools (even if they are generally content), does that mean you would disregard all the DO schools simply based on the comments of one or two students. I don't think so. Be careful on how you do your research... but good luck.

Youngjock,
Are you able to actually take a few days off and go to the Nova campus, or any other campus? When I was house hunting, I drove down the streets of the home I was considering and spoke with the people that lived in that neighborhood. I found out that a great house was near a prison, and that another was near a loony bin where the patients are frequently misplaced. EEK! I just asked people if they had it to do all over again would they live in that neighborhood? What is good and what is bad about that neighborhood? People were very friendly everywhere and willing to let me know their thoughts. When 9 out of 10 say the prison is too close you KNOW it is an issue!
If you can go to any of the schools you are considering for even a day or so, you could get a real feel for how the students judge the education there and if knowing what they know now, if they would still attend that school. One or two opinions really isn't enough to base such an important decision.
Yes, I know it is tough to check out all 19 schools, just narrow it down and try to catch a flight or a long drive to the campuses you would really like to attend.
I still have another year before I apply and I am checking out my schools this summer.Hopefully TUCOM and Western will check out. If not, back to the drawing board.
Hope it helps and good luck to you.

If you base your decisions on what is best for you on the opinions of the likes of A. Shoe then I hope you don't apply to NSU. Gain some maturity first.

Although I have no affiliations with Nova whatsoever, I agree with the post above. About 50% of what is written on this forum is for entertainment purposes only.

ive been kinda watching this thing unfold, i would make a couple of comments that may help:

1. There were about 8-10 Nova students that posted negative comments of various nature on the threads regarding prison rotations and censorship.

2. There were 2-3 Nova students who posted rebuttals and there was one student who posted a very open evenhanded set of posts.
there was also a premed student who spent a great deal of time avoiding the true issues and attacking anyone who posted anything negative about Nova.

2a. Turning this into Ashoe and MBV vs. the world is dishonest, as it focuses upon who posted the MOST and not upon which side of the discussion had the MOST POSTERS. When you turn this into a ONE DISGRUNTLED STUDENT vs. NOVA type scenario, you miss the really important things that happened in those threads...YEP, i said a lot of things, but some other folks took the time to AGREE with them...think about it.

3. Nova is in a state of flux (as are all schools hopefully)

4. As i stated in my posts, many older students were not satisfied with how the PREVIOUS administration handled things, and also are not satisfied with several of the clinical hospitals (you do have a CHOICE here, so early research of these hospitals is important as some are fine)

5. Much of your education is what you make of it....as i have said previously.

6. This is true EVERYWHERE that i am aware of in medical education.

7. What then makes a school better than another school is how much MORE they put into facilitating you gaining your education, both by the exposures they generate for you and the way in which they ALLOW YOU TO UTILIZE YOUR TIME.

8. Personal research is very important.

9. Hope this helps.

Shoe -- informative yet seemingly ducks the question at hand.

In your opinion (and we all know you have one) based on your experiences should youngjock take Nova off his list of potential schools?

I presume your personal situation kept you in Florida, but if it hadn?t and you were doing it again, would Nova get your app?

And I think posters have been a little hard on youngjock. He listed specifically why he is excluding Nova -- lack of path labs, lack of paid clinicians, course content -- objective criteria lifted out of the quagmire of opinion. Calling him immature was a little harsh.

mj

MJ,

I really would like to avoid a heated discussion, so please just answer my question and do not jump down my throat about it.

If you read youngjock's post, he states:

"1. D.O.'s don't have Pathology labs during system courses
2. Osteopathic Medical schools don't have paid Clinical Professors in their teaching
hospitals.
4. in many D.O. school(s), there are mandatory classes, with examinations, which have little to do w/ anything related to medicine"

Now, please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't he refering to all osteopathic schools?

Now you said: "He listed specifically why he is excluding Nova "

Actually he did not, he listed why he should not apply to ANY osteopathic medical schools.

Now I hope to not anger John by putting words in his mouth, but I think he would agree that many of the problems he listed he had with NSU(excluding the prison and censorship issues) also exist at many of the other osteopathic medical colleges(not to mention allopathic). The only reason John was pointing out the short comings of NSU was because he had first hand knowledge of them. I am sure John's arguments for paid clinical faculty extend beyond just NSU. So I will ask again, If youngjock has problems with NSU based on flaws in osteopathic medicine in general, should he/she not aviod applying to osteopathic medical colleges?

Respectfully Yours,

Joshua

1. Pathology- i stated it was rudimentary (as for labs), that was followed by many posts that stated that other schools did a good job with path lab.

2. clearly many of the problems at Nova are problems with the overall landscape of medical education and the Hubris that exists among those presenting themselves as educators. Regardless of where they attended.

3. OF course i am ducking the issue MJ...every attempt i have made at being open and honest has been turned into a name calling contest and a display of how far the reading ability of the average student seems to have slipped...

4. This field has been plowed and plowed, my answer to your question is buried somewhere in my postings, the bible says, "seek the truth, for the truth shall set you free"...it doesnt say, ask john for the truth and he will hand it to you on a silver platter. Research is the key. again, research is the key.

5. I have decided to be an Ambassador of all things osteopathic...not because i believe them, but because everyone tells me that otherwise i am disgruntled or am hurting the profession...and they also tell me that i am losing potential income if i say negative things...and since their opinions (anonymous and underdeveloped as they are) are very important to me, i must heed them.

6. What i would tell this person is:
look at the big picture of why you want to be a physician, spell out a list of all the pluses and minuses to attending all the universities you have a legitimate chance to enter, and then go to the place whose wieghted score outweighs all others...as you said my unique experiences led me to Nova, knowing full well the minuses and the pluses, perhaps not totally knowing the wieghting system, as this often develops in situ.

#? would i go here if i had no child and if i were 24 years of age? of course not, any school which places limits upon its students by forcing them to conform to narrow sets of rules and regulations not designed for the student but designed (and STATED as such) for the sole purpose of assuring a certain look and or a certain amount of warm bodies in the classroom at any one time FAILS miserably to meet the criteria of UNIVERSITY. When a school changes to realize the needs of the individual students are more important than the APPEARANCES of the school, THAT school becomes a center for education rather than a center of hypocrisy.

Originally posted by RollTide:
I really would like to avoid a heated discussion, so please just answer my question and do not jump down my throat about it...If youngjock has problems with NSU based on flaws in osteopathic medicine in general, should he/she not aviod applying to osteopathic medical colleges?

Now Rolltide, I'm usually fairly respectful...I don't "jump down your throat". That was a little harsh.

As for your questions...

Yes, youngjock's criteria were based on a post generic to All osteo schools. He then tied it specifically to Nova with John's support for the claims as they relate to Nova.

His original question on this thread is are "there any other bad schools that i should avoid when i apply". In other words, are there other osteo schools that would meet these criteria?

Many people posted on MBVs thread that the path lab issue does not exist at their schools. Many people also posted that at some osteo schools clinicians are paid. So, the answer to your question is no. Based on what youngjock has listed as criteria, ALL osteo schools are not off his list.

He came researching. He has done so in a fairly non-biased manner. In return we called him immature, questioned his intelligence and beat the wholly beegeezes out of him.

I don't think we should belittle those honestly seeking information the way we have youngjock.

In kindness

mj

Originally posted by ADRIANSHOE:
This field has been plowed and plowed, my answer to your question is buried somewhere in my postings, the bible says, "seek the truth, for the truth shall set you free"...it doesnt say, ask john for the truth and he will hand it to you on a silver platter

No reason to get snarky with me. If you didn't want to answer the question you could have ignored it. You're good at ignoring, aren?t you.

I was asking mainly because your grousing seemed more directed toward prior administrations and I was curious as to whether you believed the changing of administration would overcome your stated shortfalls of Nova. Silly me for being curious. I should have known all possible questions were already addressed in your prior great scriptures.

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it. --Proverbs 3:27

But then you answered it anyway...didn't you.

John Shewmaker AOA poster child... LOL...can't wait to see your first act of statehood.

This thread is awfully unsettling; im applying to Nova and others (nycom, and the west coast DO schools) and i can't believe what im reading.
The main set of problems it seems are lack of adequate prep for ob/gyn, prison rotations, lack of path labs, and idiot phil classes. Well, that's an awful lot of complaining to go through knowing that youre given the chance to become a doctor. Venting agression at the adminstration (all administrations have faults) cant immediately fix these things but may bring about change in the long run; nevertheless, nova is at the bottom of my list now.
I happen to agree with both sides of this argument; no medschool is perfect and if it was can it really go a long way to make you a better doctor (not likely considering some of the attitudes i've read, and also considering that you knew ahead of time that you were applying to a DO school, quirks, stigma, and all). But what really amazes me is the vicious attitude towards the rotations and the profs teaching them; get it straight!, those that came before you went through the same thing, graduated, and are now doctors so DONT whine about how youre not getting an education on a par with Harvard. It seems like an awful lot of nitpicking for a medstudent; don't bite the hand that feeds you.
I am not particularly ecstatic about the poor rotations and nil path labs, but this is the infancy of DO medicine and that's the way it is. Bring about change if you want to, rock the boat if you have to, but that should be evident in your posts, not the fact that YOU are unsatisfied and YOU can no longer feel good about medschool.
And while you find some cheese for your whine, it seems like some DO medstudents are unhappy they will only achieve only a Porsche instead of the coveted Ferrari. You can take that symbolically or literally, but all the same, it comes down to a few whiners drawing attention to how miserable and unfortunate they are for becoming DOCTORS!! via the DO route.

i think you missed the boat on that one, adismo...I dont recall complaining (THAT MUCH) about any profs directly....i did complain about the lack of administrative oversight on some abusive attendings and on the need to find compensation for attendings....WHICH part of PAYING attendings and getting rid of bad attendings did you care to disgree with?

The viciousness toward ADMINISTRATION is a much different issue...ADMINISTRATION ideally is designed to FACILITATE, when it HAMPERS it should be viciously attacked as often and as harshly as possible...PROVIDING plenty of alternative methods have been exhausted. a little indepth research should satisfy you that this has been attempted by others repeatedly without success.

As for being GRATEFUL for the chance to do medicine...thats a nebulous argument....perhaps THEY should be grateful such bright talented people such as ourselves decided to give their incompetent asses a chance to earn money while apparently doing little to earn it...I have nothing to feel GRATEFUL to them about...by myself, i met THEIR standards of admission and BY MYSELF i borrowed the funds necessary to acheive my knowledge base and degree, They were MANDATED to teach medicine by MY government to whom I PAY TAXES, so why should i feel grateful to them when THEY are a subservient institution funded in large part by ME and my governement which is basicly ME AND YOU...\

.Medical education at its worst is a complete scam and anyone with two eyes should realize it....
The TEACHERS who are most important ie the attendings arent paid and often aren't supervised to ensure STANDARDS are achieved, the STUDENTS who are paying (us so called "grateful ones") are often not facilitated and oversight and quality assurance is lacking here also...the only persons enriched without question and regardless of student/faculty quality assurance are the administrators....this is very similar to the HMO world where the doctor is first squeezed, then the patients begin to get their rates raised back up to preHMO levels and all the while the HMO is the only entity reaping ANY type of positive return, monetary or medical...again this is just the dynamics of the SYSTEM that allow this, some systems and schools operate above this level, others seem not to.

getting huffy at people for stating these ideas isn't the answer, attacking people for presenting ideas and events is also not the answer....embracing DOdom as some mystical life force that we all OWE our education too isnt worthy of discussion...somehow i always find a way to discuss it anyway...go figure...lol.

wow--tough crowd out there..

perhaps a few points from a disgruntled CCOMer will help:

having been put thru the ringer as guniea pigs class of 2001 at CCOM, i can empathize to some degree with what adrian might be experiencint at NOVA---an administration unresponsive to student needs/desires/aspirations as well as medical education as a business vs. pure medical education.

i have posted many a negative comment here about CCOM--there are many flaws.

i have posted even more negative comments about the AOA and osteopathy in general--there are many flaws.

as i enter my 4th yr, what i have learned is that there is NO PERFECT SYSTEM. there is NO PERFECT PROGRAM..the grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side.

in general, the trend in medical education is toward systems reveiw in the second yr of didactics at the very least...so this bundling thing that was written about is kinda going on in the allopathic world as well--check out curriculum websites for NYU and Columbia--they have it in plain english.

the most important thing when choosing a medical school are the following, in my opinion:

1. DO YOU HAVE A CHOICE? --realize that although applications are down significantly across the country, and you think you are the dude on paper, the interviewers may hate you..therefore, it is ALWAYS best to statistically increase your chances of admission by applying to more schools. if you are fortunate to have a choice, make one.

2. DOES THE PROGRAM HAVE THE RESOURCES YOU NEED TO GET TO WHERE YOU ARE GOING?--should you have a choice, evaluate the financial stability of the program, the program resources, the faculty, etc..are faculty supportive? is there a lot of teaching going on? what is the pass rate on the boards? will the didactic years get you thru the boards and will the clinical training get you a decent residency in your field of choice?

3.LOCATION--is this school located in a place where you can have a diversity of rotations in various settings--if not, do they let you go out to various states, etc?

4. STUDENT BODY--what is the general quality of student? nice kids? meanies? ultra competative? dumb? --hard to evaluate at the interview since you don't know who will be accepted..so ask to hang out with a few students while you are visiting.

5.FACULTY--who's on it? anyone famous? anyone prolific? lots of research? a little research?

these are just a few suggestions.. i would strongly advise against ruling out any program based on teh comments of another on this board..if you are smart enough to get into a med school, then you are likely anal enough to research to the nitty gritty each program.

the best is to visit the program, make calls,talk to students, visit the hospital sites, etc..

the bottom line is that you need to feel like you fit.

beyond that, remember that no matter where you end up, medical education at this point is such that the school you attend is MERELY THE VEHICLE TO GET YOU FROM A TO B..the type of doctor you become is totally up to you.

good luck

LOL, adrian, you are proving me right. After all who am i except a plebian premed.

Somehow I agree with your opinion about administration's incompetencies versus student's brilliance... you dont suppose their jealous of us? But again, your vengeful attitude shines through, one that I previously thought was only posessed by medstudents at a certain SoCal private school whose intitials i will not mention (LLU). Just dont take it out on Mr and Ms. patient.
About you being the ultra competent medstudent, I wonder how hard my premed stats can jump all over yours. Did i mention I am a humble individual? The part about the DOdom and the life force I didnt mention so you should attribute it to me; osteopathy is a little extra chiropractic training on top of regular medschool stuff, its very useful in practice, but i dont understand all the fuss about nomenclature and philosophical etceteeras.

spunkydoc, you hit the nail on the head. thanks for adressing my concern about medschools; i am only PMS-ing about gettin into medschool, once in I suppose ive earned the right to take shots at the curriculum and administration. But now, getting admitted is my primary concern; that porsche doesnt sound to bad after all. Thanks for the advice, both. If nothing else its edu-tainment.

i asked about which schools have bad reputations. so far, u people discussed back and forth, and i still don't see the point.

i didn't say any of those things, mybloodyvalentine and adrianshoe wrote those things, i was just pasting them again.

can someone give me a list like from the top to bottom?

thanks.

adismo....i hope your stats DO outshine my own, I have no idea why that should BOTHER me....i am already done with med school, and i WANT medicine to become less of a well for the barely qualified and more of a mountain for the humanist with intellect, which i hope that you are. My penis size isnt an issue, because orgasms feel the same regardless of my puny little organ.

the issues about do/MD REALLY arent even part of this discussion as far as i can tell, i am a physician, which is the only reason i went to medical school, i could care less about the silly turf wars over nonexistent philosophies.
As for my vengeful nature, i take it you are NOT 160,000 in debt? once you are then lets see how accountable you wish to hold your supposed educators...holding people accountable that struggle to avoid accountability while enriching themselves doesnt mean you are vengeful, it means you are an individual that values VALUE. sitting back and not speaking out when the empereror isn't wearing clothes doesnt do anything.