Any Canadians apply to US MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maradona10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I am a Canadian stressing out if I should apply MD or MD/PHD. Wondering if the dual degree program will lower my chance getting into a US MD program. Please pm me if you are a successful Canadian applicant in either MD or MD-PhD, but specifically MD-PhD. My first time applying AMCAS and I am a little lost. Could use some personal advice/tips and information.

PM me, thanks.

I am posting it as opposed to PMing you so that others can read it.
If you can tell that the school makes the application two separate entities, (eg. you are accepted first to MD then into PhD), then you should definitely apply MD PhD. Some public universities will not consider you if you are only applying MD. Also, US schools are expensive so PhD making tuition free is appealing, though only in the short term. MD PhD is not the greatest route though if you want to be a practicing physician, because you have missed out on 3-5 years of clinical practice.

I was accepted to LSU's MD program as a Canadian applying to MD + PhD. I decided not to follow through with the PhD interview after MD acceptance. I will be matriculating to U of T. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello tropicalzed, congrats on the acceptance at U of T! Was LSU your only acceptance? and also, you had a chance of MD/PhD acceptance but you turned down the PhD part of the interview? Did you decide that the MD/PhD route was not good for you and you future career goals?

Thanks for the reply! U of T is a great school that hopefully I get a chance to interview at this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
please don't pursue a PhD just to get into medical school

it's just such a waste all around

MD/PhD should just be for people who want research to be a signficant part of your career

as far as I know, most schools treat those spots like they're precious and are quite adept at looking at an app to see if it supports a commitment to research
if your app doesn't show that, it's a waste of adcom time and your and money for you to apply MD/PhD

that said, people want that MD so bad they'll often say or do anything I guess

MD/PhD should just be for people who want research to be a signficant part of your career

as far as I know, most schools treat those spots like they're precious and are quite adept at looking at an app to see if it supports a commitment to research
if your app doesn't show that, it's a waste of adcom time and your and money for you to apply MD/PhD

MD/PhD programs are generally more difficult to get into than MD programs, so I don't see why anyone would try to apply for it to get into medical school (except for the lower tuition) if they're not interested in research.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello tropicalzed, congrats on the acceptance at U of T! Was LSU your only acceptance? and also, you had a chance of MD/PhD acceptance but you turned down the PhD part of the interview? Did you decide that the MD/PhD route was not good for you and you future career goals?

Thanks for the reply! U of T is a great school that hopefully I get a chance to interview at this year.

I decided that I'm most interested in being a clinician, and I would do research on the side. If you don't have research credentials or something unique to offer the research program, you are probably not going to be considered for the PhD interview. I had a computational/engineering background so LSU's health science center saw me as someone uniquely skilled. I was only accepted to LSU for US MD. I was waitlisted at George Washington U. I was also accepted at Marian University for Osteopathic medicine (DO program).

Good luck!

The way I worded the question was weird. I want to do research in my future career but I want the MD because I also want the clinical aspect of medicine in the future. I was wondering because I know MD/PhD is more competitive, so your point doesn't really make that much sense. Most MD/PhD student can get accepted to many MD programs.