Any chance at DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkw002

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to get some advice/comments from you. I will be retaking 2 science classes (9 semester units) this coming spring and if things go well I should have a 3.3 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA by May. I took the MCAT once with a 21P (B:9 P: 6 V: 6). I will be retaking the MCAT in May and give it my best shot. Will I have a chance at DO schools if I get at least a 27? Actually will I have a chance specifically at Western, AZCOM or SOMA? Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I have some general ECs:
~250 hours hospital volunteer
6 months neuropharmacology research intern
2 months volunteer tutor
some other short hours on various healthcare exposure/volunteering
DO shadowing
can get strong letter of rec from a DO and an MD, will probably get an okay letter from a science professor

Members don't see this ad.

Your gpa's are on the low side, so I would aim pretty high on the MCAT to make up for it. Also if you have time, maybe retake a science class or 2 that you got a low grade in (C- or lower) that could significantly help your gpa for DO schools because they replace the low grade with the new one. I would say that if you get 27 or higher (but balanced) you should have a shot at the schools you mentioned...although I have heard Western is pretty selective. I don't know if anyone else can chime in on this, but I am thinking that AZCOM and CCOM might have hard MCAT subscore cutoffs of 7 or above. I am thinking this because I got flat out rejected from CCOM and put on "hold" (but we know what that means) from AZCOM. My MCAT is a 26 (9B 11V but 6PS). I have pretty unique ec's, and everyone else I heard from about interviews really soon after sending in my secondary. But that could just be the randomness of the game. Moral of the story is you HAVE to get that MCAT up. Good luck! I hate that test. :luck:

Have you considered another year of GPA repair before applying, using Total180's advice about instituting some grade replacement to raise the GPAs more quickly? You could use that extra time to also beef up yor ECs more, too. Your clinical experience is very good, but you don't mention much nonmedical community service, teaching, or any leadership. And I'm pretty sure you'll need more than one "OK" LOR from a science prof and a few from docs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for both of your feedback.

Total180: ya I am already taking advantage of the grade replacement policy and will be taking 2 classes upcoming spring, but that would take care of all my Cs, unless i also retake the classes that i got B- in? I will definitely try my best for the MCAT to balance the low GPA

Catalystik: same thing, with the 2 classes in spring, i have already retaken the classes i got Cs in. Should i consider retaking those classes that i got B-? I was also involved with community service clubs during undergrad and also was VP and treasurer for a math and engineering club during community college for 1 semester each.

I am also considering to apply for the SMP at Western with the linkage to its DO program. Do you guys think I should go this route? Thanks again!

If getting into Western is very important to you, and if you can hit their MCAT goal, then by all means apply for their SMP. But be aware you are highly likely to get in elsewhere if you apply broadly with enough GPA repair and a decent MCAT score, without the SMP expense.

Last edited:
Ya I understand what you are trying to tell me. It's just that I don't have anymore Cs to retake after spring semester, that's about all I can do about my GPA at this moment. So I'll need to do well on the MCAT for sure.

Western is my top pick because, besides being a reputable program, I can save a lot of of money as I am a local here in SoCal (I live 25 minutes from Pomona and will move even closer next year) if I can go to Western. So even if i have to do the SMP, it'll still be worth it to stay close to home. That's why i want to try and stay close to Cali, and Arizona is at least close enough.

Anyways, I will see how things go and make the decision accordingly. Thanks for your comments, i really appreciate it!

obviously, retake the MCAT. if i was you i'd take a least a year, maybe two, and get some more EC's. they seem to be lacking variety and longevity. as important as numbers are, schools really do want to see you're an all-around person.

obviously, retake the MCAT. if i was you i'd take a least a year, maybe two, and get some more EC's. they seem to be lacking variety and longevity. as important as numbers are, schools really do want to see you're an all-around person.

ok thanks, i will have a gap year so I will be able to beef up the ECs

What MCAT score goal do you need to hit for SMP consideration at Western?

As for acceptance to the SMP, the program director said i am right around the average, but they will take the most qualified candidate so I still need to shoot for the best possible score I can get on the MCAT

For the DO linkage consideration, they require a minimum of 24 on the MCAT and be able to finish the SMP with a 3.0 or above

As for acceptance to the SMP, the program director said i am right around the average, but they will take the most qualified candidate so I still need to shoot for the best possible score I can get on the MCAT

For the DO linkage consideration, they require a minimum of 24 on the MCAT and be able to finish the SMP with a 3.0 or above
It's true that each year admissions stats seem to rise as applicants get better and better at studying for the MCAT. I'm glad they were honest about the possible moving target.