Any chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTobbogan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

This is my first post on SDN!

I will be applying for the first time this coming June 2013. I am a nontraditional 25 y/o male with FL residency. This spring I will be starting the BMS program at Barry University in South Florida. My current stats according to AACOMAS:

cGPA: 3.44
sGPA:3.55
MCAT: 28M

Extracurricular:

Hospital Volunteer ~100h
D.O. Shadow ~40h
Developed a small business
premed association in college
Competitive soccer and tennis

I think that my main concern is in the extracurricular realm. As it stands right now, are my volunteer and shadow numbers sufficient? What about GPA and MCAT?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Based on other posts and advice i've received, your stats look fine for DO. Maybe add more ECs

GPA and MCAT are good, but what about research, teaching, or non medical community service? I would look into 1 or 2 of the above and find an area you are interested in to give it a go.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with TwinsFan. If you can work in other EC's, YES. Research will be viewed as another EC by DO schools unlike MD schools. I definitely recommend tutoring and non-medical community service because it is an extension of your dedication to service. Also, make sure you get your LORs and apply early.

Greetings,

I will be applying for the first time this coming June 2013. I am a nontraditional 25 y/o male with FL residency. This spring I will be starting the BMS program at Barry University in South Florida. My current stats according to AACOMAS:

Extracurricular:

Hospital Volunteer ~100h
D.O. Shadow ~40h

I think that my main concern is in the extracurricular realm. As it stands right now, are my volunteer and shadow numbers sufficient? What about GPA and MCAT?

Thanks

Why do you wanna do that BMS program if your stats are good enough for DO?

Thanks to everyone for your input. I do appreciate it. I am doing the BMS program partly because my academic record has several less than desirable marks. This program will allow me to demonstrate to the admissions committee that I can academically excel in graduate level science courses.

Your chances are excellent.

Greetings,

Extracurricular:

Hospital Volunteer ~100h
D.O. Shadow ~40h

Thanks

Uh, you're good bro. Could you have more health-related ECs? Sure. But your numbers are quite good for DO and your ECs that you do have are pretty awesome.