Any chances for low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swa74

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a part one score of 90% part two 86% and GPA is less than 2. I applied to some universities, but there is no response. i would like to know that what are my chances for getting into dental school. at present i have given up the idea of getting into dental school. and if any one knows what is the eligibility criteria for dental higenist course. I appreciate comments.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

swa74 said:
Hi there,
I have a part one score of 90% part two 86% and GPA is less than 2. I applied to some universities, but there is no response. i would like to know that what are my chances for getting into dental school. at present i have given up the idea of getting into dental school. and if any one knows what is the eligibility criteria for dental higenist course. I appreciate comments.
Thanks.
hi
u have very good score of 90, 86. i hope u will definately good chances . wishing u good luck

swa74 said:
Hi there,
Thanks.

Which are the universities you applied to? You have good stats save your GPA. What you can do is, take a few classes at your local univeristy or look into a masters program. Dental hygiene is a good option but a master's program would be a better option. Best would be to check you state university website and see what masters programs are available, what are the prerequisites and talk to the admissions department at the university about the one you are interested in. As for ASU, they don't care who evaluate your scores, so you may want to check how it is done at the university in your state and try get your scores evaluated by some other evaluator like IERF or WES etc. Do not lose hope and apply to dental schools too. Especially if you have good work experience, it covers the "numbers". If you are determined about dental hygiene, you may want to check the ADA website if there are any dental hygiene schools in your state and talk to them about your interest in the program. Also, when you talk to the administration/admissions department at any school, for master's or hygiene, don't start off by talking about your low GPA. Just talk to them about your interest in the program and find about the stats of ths incoming class. That way you will know how sttrong an applicant you are. Good luck! Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
less than 2???well I thought 2.0 was barely passing. :scared:

swa74 said:
Hi there,
Thanks.
Hey swa74.
Yeah, I'm just wondering ... how did you make it out of dental school with a sub-2.0 GPA. Where did you graduate from ?
Anyways, there IS light at the end of the tunnel. DO NOT GIVE UP !
If I were you, I would call the admission offices of ALL the dental school advanced standing programs (or e-mail them) and ask them driectly, right in the face, if GPA's in general (not yours specifically) would negatively affect an application.
I know right of the back of my head of 3 schools which do not even factor in oversea GPA's for admission (PM me if you need to know more).
Otherwise, if your mind is set for the hygiene program, then I wish you the best of luck, and you will find plenty of imformative threads here on the pre-requisites/deadlines and so forth.
I hope it helps.
Good Luck.

swa74 said:
Hi there,
Thanks.

Hello,
I hate to disappoint you, but it rather seems tough for you to get into the dental schol. You have good part 1 and part 2 scores and if invited for an interview, the question of your low GPA does arise and you have to be able to give them a convincing satisfactory explanation for your GPA.
Another way to improve your Resume or your stats would be to get an MAsters Degree in USA and get good grades in it. My ECE GPA is 3.2 and my Master's GPA is 3.9 and the masters GPA evens the ground and also a couple of GOOD RECOMMENDATION letters from American Professor helps a lot.
I would suggest you to go for a Master's program rather than spend time on hygienist courses and licensure.

PK Bond,
I have I GPA of 2.97 and I got interview calls from all the schools I applied to this year and not in one of them I was ever questioned about my GPA. I guess if you don't have anything else in your resumee, like work experience, it would come up in the interview. Otherwise it does not matter that much.

SJ35 said:
PK Bond,
I have I GPA of 2.97 and I got interview calls from all the schools I applied to this year and not in one of them I was ever questioned about my GPA. I guess if you don't have anything else in your resumee, like work experience, it would come up in the interview. Otherwise it does not matter that much.
2.97 is still not that bad..it's almost a 3...but unfortunatley less than 2 is whole 'nother story

SJ35 said:
PK Bond,

I wote about the GPA coming up in the interviews, as couple of my friends who had GPA in the region of 2.4-2.5 were asked about it. It is true, if you have a solid resume and good NDBE scores, the question of your GPA doe not arise.

Khurram said:
2.97 is still not that bad..it's almost a 3...but unfortunatley less than 2 is whole 'nother story

I understand that. What I don't understand is how can a person graduate from the school with such GPA. I guess the grading system is very different from what I am used to. Because basicly less than 2 is a non-passing grade.

Hi
I have not seen you back on this thread. Many schools grade differently. Some use a 5 point scale, some a 3 point scale.... most use a 4 point scale.
When I was on an admissions committee at a school and now with the residency... we would not even consider a 2.0 on scale of 4 or 5. Assuming that is the case... i would suggest... taking some college courses in science and to improve your spelling (though its probably better than mine)(hygiene).
Then if those grades are good... apply to a 4 year dental school... you chances should be very good.

For dental hygiene... they look at high school scores... so any college grades... dental school grades.. should be easy to get into.

swa74 said:
Hi there,
Thanks.

NileBDS said:
Hey swa74.
Yeah, I'm just wondering ... how did you make it out of dental school with a sub-2.0 GPA. Where did you graduate from ?
If I were you, I would call the admission offices of ALL the dental school advanced standing programs (or e-mail them) and ask them driectly, right in the face, if GPA's in general (not yours specifically) would negatively affect an application.
I know right of the back of my head of 3 schools which do not even factor in oversea GPA's for admission (PM me if you need to know more).
Otherwise, if your mind is set for the hygiene program, then I wish you the best of luck, and you will find plenty of imformative threads here on the pre-requisites/deadlines and so forth.
I hope it helps.
Good Luck.
Hi NileBDS,

Can you please E-Mail me the names of those Dental schools Who take students with less GPA. My GPA is also a quite low.I would really appreciate your help at this tough time of my life.My E-mail Address is [email protected]. I always read all the threads posted by you. It seems you have been very helping to everyone.This is why i am requesting you for this favour.

Thanks a lot

NileBDS said:
Hey swa74.
I hope it helps.
Good Luck.
hi nile bds, i need ur help. my gpa is very less. i am very much depressed. i am planning to give nbde part 1 in august. my gpa is ece 1.87. i came us in aug 2005. i had 6months volunteer experience in us and good reccomendation letter from american dentist with whom i worked . at present i am working as a volunteer . i want to know the colleges that give least preference to gpa . if i get a good score above 90 is there a chance with that gpa . if i give part 2 and get above 85, is that helps to cover gpa. any chances of improving gpa. u told attending some classes in community college, what is that can u give me the information about that. i want to try my level best to get into the dental school. pls help me . i kindly appreciate ur help. my email id is [email protected]. thank u in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
NileBDS said:
Hey swa74.
I hope it helps.
Good Luck.
hi nilebds sorry my email id is [email protected]

RENUKA said:
hi nile bds, i need ur help. my gpa is very less. i am very much depressed. i am planning to give nbde part 1 in august. my gpa is ece 1.87. i came us in aug 2005. i had 6months volunteer experience in us and good reccomendation letter from american dentist with whom i worked . at present i am working as a volunteer . i want to know the colleges that give least preference to gpa . if i get a good score above 90 is there a chance with that gpa . if i give part 2 and get above 85, is that helps to cover gpa. any chances of improving gpa. u told attending some classes in community college, what is that can u give me the information about that. i want to try my level best to get into the dental school. pls help me . i kindly appreciate ur help. my email id is [email protected]. thank u in advance
Hello Renuka.
I understand your frustration. I am just wondering how you can graduate with a GPA which averages to less than 2.0 ? Anyways, I guess we are here to resolve that issue and not discuss it.
As for the Community College courses, by all means, try and contact a local community college in your area or actually even university and ask them what "Science" based courses they would admit you to. That is something that they will have to discuss with you directly. I have never done it, so can not tell you step by step what needs to be done. However, I know that it can be, because I know 2 people personally whom have completed those requirements sucessfully.
NOTE: Before you do ANY of that ... please contact any /DENTAL/ schools in which you have the highest chance of applying to, and ask them directly ... is my GPA ok ? If they say no (which most all of them will), ask them how you can improve it; ie; further education at a community college or even SOME courses at a master degree level.
They will better guide you than me. I can only show you the path, but you have to walk it.
Now, I know 3 schools right off the bat that would consider your application with a low end GPA. I will PM you the list of those schools, and you should do the rest of the work ... try calling up even more schools in the US and Canada ...
PS: Work hard for your part I. You will need a very strong score, and frankly an impressive application.
Good Luck !

nsidhu2 said:
Hi NileBDS,

Can you please E-Mail me the names of those Dental schools Who take students with less GPA. My GPA is also a quite low.I would really appreciate your help at this tough time of my life.My E-mail Address is [email protected]. I always read all the threads posted by you. It seems you have been very helping to everyone.This is why i am requesting you for this favour.

Thanks a lot
Hello nsi.
I will PM you the list as well.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Thank you for your nice words. I am not doing anything special.
Good Luck.

NileBDS said:
Hello Renuka.
I understand your frustration. I am just wondering how you can graduate with a GPA which averages to less than 2.0 ? Anyways, I guess we are here to resolve that issue and not discuss it.
As for the Community College courses, by all means, try and contact a local community college in your area or actually even university and ask them what "Science" based courses they would admit you to. That is something that they will have to discuss with you directly. I have never done it, so can not tell you step by step what needs to be done. However, I know that it can be, because I know 2 people personally whom have completed those requirements sucessfully.
NOTE: Before you do ANY of that ... please contact any /DENTAL/ schools in which you have the highest chance of applying to, and ask them directly ... is my GPA ok ? If they say no (which most all of them will), ask them how you can improve it; ie; further education at a community college or even SOME courses at a master degree level.
They will better guide you than me. I can only show you the path, but you have to walk it.
Now, I know 3 schools right off the bat that would consider your application with a low end GPA. I will PM you the list of those schools, and you should do the rest of the work ... try calling up even more schools in the US and Canada ...
PS: Work hard for your part I. You will need a very strong score, and frankly an impressive application.
Good Luck !
thank u so much nile

NileBDS said:
Hey swa74.
I hope it helps.
Good Luck.
yes nilebds if u can mention me the schools who dont care for low GPA.i will appreciate. thanks j.j

I'm really confused as to how you could have received a GPA of 1.89...
may I ask which country you did your degree from?

also...what was the grading system like...was it out of 100 points?
Was it a pass/fail system?
Was it a gpa based system?

I"m trying to uncover the mystery as to how ece is giving such low gpa's byfinding out what kinda grading systems are being submitted to them...

Khurram said:

I"m trying to uncover the mystery as to how ece is giving such low gpa's byfinding out what kinda grading systems are being submitted to them...

One more thing...did you have to repeat a lot of final exams?
I know that ece gives you an equivalent of "0" for each failed exam you have...so that can count a lot to driving down your GPA

Hi Khurram,
You are right. ECE will give you a "0" points for every failure, but will also count your attempt, so basically you are increasing the denominator, but not the numerator.
I believe the best way to beat the ECE system is to get consolidated marks card from your home country (I for sure know that we used to get from our university in India).

Khurram said:
One more thing...did you have to repeat a lot of final exams?
I know that ece gives you an equivalent of "0" for each failed exam you have...so that can count a lot to driving down your GPA

Hey PK BOND highly appreciate your suggestion jus have a doubt, is that they do not mention the no of repeats in the consolidated marks card and is it accepted for ECE evaluation.
PK_Bond said:
Hi Khurram,
You are right. ECE will give you a "0" points for every failure, but will also count your attempt, so basically you are increasing the denominator, but not the numerator.
I believe the best way to beat the ECE system is to get consolidated marks card from your home country (I for sure know that we used to get from our university in India).

If you have the signatures from your Principal or the registrar of the university, I dont see why not? If they have not mentioned the repeats in the marks card, it is always good.
This is my two cents...

Dent tex said:
Hey PK BOND highly appreciate your suggestion jus have a doubt, is that they do not mention the no of repeats in the consolidated marks card and is it accepted for ECE evaluation.

PK_Bond said:
If you have the signatures from your Principal or the registrar of the university, I dont see why not? If they have not mentioned the repeats in the marks card, it is always good.
This is my two cents...

If you send consolodated marksheets...they will contact you back and ask you to send the originals as well...they know what people try to pull!

But some lucky few have gotten by with sending consolodiated marksheets and haven't been asked to send more...

I guess go ahead and try, that's all you can do

Hello everyone.

I have received about 20 PM’s in the last 48 hours about what schools accept foreign trained dentists with low GPA’s.

To start off, I have to elaborate on a statement I made before.

This is what I said;

“ …. try and contact a local community college in your area or actually even university and ask them what "Science" based courses they would admit you to …. “

& “ …. I know 3 schools right off the bat that would consider your application with a low end GPA …. ”

When I said that I knew of several dental schools which would consider applications with low end GPA’s, I was referring to GPA’s in the low 2’s, not below it.

In other words, if you have a GPA lower than 2.0, try and improve it and pass at least 2.0 (low 2’s), then they would consider your application.

Let’s be honest, if a 2.0 GPA is a pass, what would that make of a 1.8 or even 1.99 ? You have to be realistic with yourself. Getting into an advanced standing program in the US and being up against hundreds and thousands of applicants is competitive to say the least. However, it is not impossible … you will just need to work hard for it, even if it means taking some additional courses in order to save your GPA and at least pass a 2.0.

Specifically what I was explaining to whoever asked the question was that s/he needed to take additional college courses or even masters level courses in order to improve her/his GPA and push past the 2.0 mark

S/he was asking of ways to “improve” her GPA. If you have a 1.87 ECE GPA, and you improve it, it will obviously not jump to a 3.5 or hardly even a 3.0. What it will do though, is pass the 2.0 (Pass) mark, in order for you to apply for advanced standing.

Now as for the list of the schools, I will not publish them here. If you need to know them please PM me and I will try to discuss that with you as soon as I have time for it.

I thought it might irritate any of the successful students who already have been accepted to any of those programs if I posted the names here.

I already spoke with the admission personnel at 2 of the programs I am referring to, and both have said clearly that they would not reject applications with low ECE GPA’s without review. Still, in order to be interviewed/accepted, you must have a strong application elsewhere (NBDE, TOEFL, experience and so forth).

They also said that they were fully aware that different schools from different countries may grade exams/transcripts differently and also may vary in regards to the scope and intensity of courses completed during dental school.

Note to most inquirers: Please be more active, and try pursuing this kind of information first hand and do the research yourself.

I personally do not believe everything I read on SDN, so I wouldn't take my word for it.

Good Luck !

yeah ...i agree...how the hell u managed to get such a low gpa....although u are a grad from india....? :confused:btw, which college did u graduate from...may i know?
Khurram said:

r u talking about sjm,chitradurga?correct me if i'm wrong!i'm from v.s.d.c.(kims),bangalore!
jasjitminhas said:
EDITED PER USER REQUEST

Last edited by a moderator:
hi. I am new in this site and I have no idea how this works but Iam trying.anyways I will like to post my stats and see what you all think. I wll really appreaciate your feedback.
NDBE1= 77
TOEFL= 253
NDBE2= 81
GPA= 2.60
If anybody can help me to understand my chances of geting accepted into any dental schools.

Thank you.

i will highly recommend you to retake your part 1!a part 1 score of 77 wont land you anywhere!hope this helps!
toothmen22 said:
hi. I am new in this site and I have no idea how this works but Iam trying.anyways I will like to post my stats and see what you all think. I wll really appreaciate your feedback.
NDBE1= 77
TOEFL= 253
NDBE2= 81
GPA= 2.60
If anybody can help me to understand my chances of geting accepted into any dental schools.

Thank you.

toothmen22 said:
NDBE1= 77
TOEFL= 253
NDBE2= 81
GPA= 2.60

Thank you.

yeah dude~! much better if you retake your part 1 thats what im doing right now.. unless you try applying for it.. i decided to take the part 1 again..

Hi all,
I think we have missed one important point here about the low GPA.
A lot of times we are so consicous about our flawess and thought everyone does the same as ourselves.
In fact, a low GPA did not mean you have low intellegence or anything. The point is have you ever really looked carefully the root causes of anything we did not do so good in life and learn from it? Past is past, it is a history of your growth and experience. We should always learn from our mistakes and move on with a postive attitude.
For the person who originally posted thread, never let anything drag you down! You do have a chance to fulfill your dream in this country it might just need more hard work for you than others; if the low GPA was definate a roadblock as you thought, why do not ask those schools you applied the reasons you did not get intervews and suggestions what you have to do in order to get into the dental program, be sincere and make appointment with the chairperson). Getting a Master's Degree in U.S. certainly is a good idea to improve your academic record.

Keep your spirit up, and have a good weekend!

Guys,

i have been reading this thread and i dont know whether this will be of any help to people with low GPA. but still i m posting. my GPA is 2.5 and my score is 89. whereever i applied to, i got a rejection and this is the first time i am applying. but when i was in a state where i already lost my hopes about getting an interview call (even from NYU), i have seen one post by FIDO, where he gave a good suggestion. he suggested people with low GPA to talk to the program coordinator and Genuinly explain our point thru e-mail or phone. well i thought that was a good suggestion and e-mailed her and explained her properly my case, and asked if i have any chance in my future to pursue dentistry, as the competetion is increasing every year and GPA cannot be improved any more. well i also expressed her my sincere interest in nyu and later i also talked to her on the phone. well you know something, i got the interview call after 1 week and i was interviewd on 11 april.
so i felt that when u have low GPA, its better to take the program co-ordinator as your mentor and talk to them and ask their sincere advice, as to how to get a seat in their college. I learned that during my masters course that program co-ordinators like students to come and talk to them and take their advice and they give you the best suggestion. and that advice is really important coz' they are the ones who know what exactly are they looking for in a student. an it has got one mor4e advantage. U get into the good eyes of the co-ordinator and they might call you for the interview. once you get an intreview call its really easy for you explain your point to them as why ur GPA is low.
when i went to interview last week, they asked me why my GPA was low and here i thought that it was my turn. i explained everything clearly why GPA was low and i was very satisfied by that question.
so guys hope you would have got the point. well it was FIDO'S suggestion and i took that really well.
thanx a lot FIDO. that was good one and it worked.

Hi guys I have a question, my situation is this. I have taken some classes as repeats in the past, but the second time i took them i really made up for it. So when I have my grades evaluated by WES or ECC, will it be the final mark that will be considered? Will having impressive NBDE part1 score increase my chances for an interview from a dental school there?...Anyone in the same predicament as I am?

dockydoo said:
Guys,

i have been reading this thread and i dont know whether this will be of any help to people with low GPA. but still i m posting. my GPA is 2.5 and my score is 89.

Great input Docky.
I think you have proven to a lot of people here that there are always exceptions to the rule. Even at NYU, after many people have clearly stated that no one with a GPA lower than 3.0 would be interviewed/accepted.
If there is a will then by God, there definitely is a way !
I hope you get admission this year ... Good Luck !

NileBDS said:
Hey swa74.
I hope it helps.
Good Luck.

Hello,
Pls let all of us know the names of those Univs u are talking about..would be gr88 help. thnks
regards.

you are most welcome,docky!i'm glad that my suggestion worked out well for you! ;)
btw, you can post your interview experience here!
dockydoo said:
Guys,

i have been reading this thread and i dont know whether this will be of any help to people with low GPA. but still i m posting. my GPA is 2.5 and my score is 89. whereever i applied to, i got a rejection and this is the first time i am applying. but when i was in a state where i already lost my hopes about getting an interview call (even from NYU), i have seen one post by FIDO, where he gave a good suggestion. he suggested people with low GPA to talk to the program coordinator and Genuinly explain our point thru e-mail or phone. well i thought that was a good suggestion and e-mailed her and explained her properly my case, and asked if i have any chance in my future to pursue dentistry, as the competetion is increasing every year and GPA cannot be improved any more. well i also expressed her my sincere interest in nyu and later i also talked to her on the phone. well you know something, i got the interview call after 1 week and i was interviewd on 11 april.
so i felt that when u have low GPA, its better to take the program co-ordinator as your mentor and talk to them and ask their sincere advice, as to how to get a seat in their college. I learned that during my masters course that program co-ordinators like students to come and talk to them and take their advice and they give you the best suggestion. and that advice is really important coz' they are the ones who know what exactly are they looking for in a student. an it has got one mor4e advantage. U get into the good eyes of the co-ordinator and they might call you for the interview. once you get an intreview call its really easy for you explain your point to them as why ur GPA is low.
when i went to interview last week, they asked me why my GPA was low and here i thought that it was my turn. i explained everything clearly why GPA was low and i was very satisfied by that question.
so guys hope you would have got the point. well it was FIDO'S suggestion and i took that really well.

Hey fido & dockydoo,

Can u guide me how to entertain a low GPA question .Whom should i talk to in NYU coz i have a GPA of 2.79,NDB 89.I don't hve an interview call yet.

fido! said:
you are most welcome,docky!i'm glad that my suggestion worked out well for you! ;)
btw, you can post your interview experience here!

well i think i did my interview well. she asked me to tell about myself and as to why i am preferring nyu and not to forget she particularly asked me about my GPA and here i thought is my chance to explain and i think i did that really well :luck: . that was THE question i am waiting since long enough to anwser to a person in dental school ;) . but no one hasn't given me a chance except NYU.
Dr.Denise Estafan interviewed me and she was very nice and made me feel comfortable. later i asked her a couple of questions about the school, postgraduate oppurtunities and research oppurtunities for students.

Man, that is a really good school especially the technology and the latest equipment being used and the huge patient volume......... too good.
well when i called them on friday after the interview, they said that they have mailed a letter to me on thursday,just 2 days after the interview but didn't tell me the content of the letter. i might be getting the regular mail tomorrow and i am kind of :scared: anyway hoping for the best.

well julie the person i talked to and mailed to is Eugenia. she was very kind to respond immediately. well all the best hope for the best.

dockydoo said:
well i think i did my interview well. she asked me to tell about myself and as to why i am preferring nyu and not to forget she particularly asked me about my GPA and here i thought is my chance to explain and i think i did that really well :luck: . that was THE question i am waiting since long enough to anwser to a person in dental school ;) . but no one hasn't given me a chance except NYU.
Dr.Denise Estafan interviewed me and she was very nice and made me feel comfortable. later i asked her a couple of questions about the school, postgraduate oppurtunities and research oppurtunities for students.

Man, that is a really good school especially the technology and the latest equipment being used and the huge patient volume......... too good.
well when i called them on friday after the interview, they said that they have mailed a letter to me on thursday,just 2 days after the interview but didn't tell me the content of the letter. i might be getting the regular mail tomorrow and i am kind of :scared: anyway hoping for the best.

well julie the person i talked to and mailed to is Eugenia. she was very kind to respond immediately. well all the best hope for the best.

Wow! That's great Dockydoo! I would not say you got lucky, but I would say that all this happened to you because you really DESERVE it. Your success does not depend upon the scores or grades you get, but it depends upon all the hardwork and struggle you must have earnestly put in, some point in life. It's all paying off. I'm sure you can relate to what I'm saying. Way to go! :)

thatz great! :thumbup: hope your acceptance letter is on the way!all the best! :thumbup:
dockydoo said:

hey juli456,
as dockydoo suggested,u can talk to eugenia mejia,program director,advanced placement program!hope that helps!all the best!
juli456 said:
Hey fido & dockydoo,

Can u guide me how to entertain a low GPA question .Whom should i talk to in NYU coz i have a GPA of 2.79,NDB 89.I don't hve an interview call yet.

PK_Bond said:
Hi Khurram,

This doesnt make any sense, "0" points for every failure? It's as if you didnt even pass the class at all! :mad:

Here is a piece of information, that may be coming a little late in the day.

Somebody mentioned talking to the program director and explaining issues related to their GPA etc.

One unspoken rule in the US,that holds good for any degree plan/university is that there are NO rules!!! What admission committees post on their websites are the basic requirements of admission. But these are not ... I repeat ......NOT etched in stone. Every admission's committee/ dean or faculty has the privilege to admit students that they think can be an asset to the program. This just means that when you apply to a program,talk to the people concerned. Ask them questions, ask if you can meet them, be assertive and put forward your concerns. The more they hear from you, the more they remember you as a dynamic individual. Only you can sell yourself. You have to take the initiative to not be just another application in the pile, but to put a face to it.

An example of this:Last year, a student in India applied to a master's program in the US and communicated with the dept head directly, who inturn shared info that he would be in India for a few days. The applicant then flew down to Delhi, and met with this professor. In a few weeks, an acceptance letter along with a full tuition waiver arrived at the applicant's doorstep!!

One more thing.....be persuasive before you apply or before the interview...not after you have received a rejection. Admission committees will rarely go back on their decision so it's better to talk to them before they decide.

Good luck......go make a difference!! :thumbup:

tweetybird said:

Somebody mentioned talking to the program director and explaining issues related to their GPA etc.

One unspoken rule in the US,that holds good for any degree plan/university is that there are NO rules!!! What admission committees post on their websites are the basic requirements of admission. But these are not ... I repeat ......NOT etched in stone. Every admission's committee/ dean or faculty has the privilege to admit students that they think can be an asset to the program. This just means that when you apply to a program,talk to the people concerned. Ask them questions, ask if you can meet them, be assertive and put forward your concerns. The more they hear from you, the more they remember you as a dynamic individual. Only you can sell yourself. You have to take the initiative to not be just another application in the pile, but to put a face to it.

An example of this:Last year, a student in India applied to a master's program in the US and communicated with the dept head directly, who inturn shared info that he would be in India for a few days. The applicant then flew down to Delhi, and met with this professor. In a few weeks, an acceptance letter along with a full tuition waiver arrived at the applicant's doorstep!!

One more thing.....be persuasive before you apply or before the interview...not after you have received a rejection. Admission committees will rarely go back on their decision so it's better to talk to them before they decide.

:thumbup:

dentheartthrob said:
This doesnt make any sense, "0" points for every failure? It's as if you didnt even pass the class at all! :mad:

I know-i think that policy blows but what can you do.

You raise some very interesting and valid points Tweety. I agree with what you have posted here.
I definitely agree that most rules, if not all, are not carved in stone. Just like every action has a reaction, every rule has an exception.
You know, what made the most sense to me was the "be persuasive before you apply or before the interview...not after you have received a rejection" point you made. That is great advice.
I would also add that you must embrace a "go-getter" attitude as Americans like to put it. You have to go out and explore your goals rather than expecting everything to fall right into your lap. Be a little bit more aggressive or assertive as Tweety put it. Take matters into your own hands. Do your research be it on the internet or by e-mailing/calling schools and program co-ordinators directly, call whoever you need to call, ask as many people as you should ask, ... be more pro-active in fulfilling your dreams.
This journey to advanced standing has definitely taught me a lot of lessons and has for sure refined my character to a great extent. I hope everyone sees this as a life-learning experience and maybe an enlightening process (I know it is hard to see it that way if you still have your feet wet with Board exams, applications, interviews and all ... but one day you will). Remember, it's not the destination, it's the journey. If you let the journey to advanced standing GET THE BEST OF YOU, it can make you miserable ... try to MAKE THE BEST OF IT instead! Learn some lessons, overcome some challenges and more importantly, try to make some friends on the way … don’t rush it …
Great post Tweety. Thanks for your input.
Good Luck everyone!

tweetybird said:

NileBDS said:
You raise some very interesting and valid points Tweety. I agree with what you have posted here.
I definitely agree that most rules, if not all, are not carved in stone. Just like every action has a reaction, every rule has an exception.
You know, what made the most sense to me was the "be persuasive before you apply or before the interview...not after you have received a rejection" point you made. That is great advice.
I would also add that you must embrace a "go-getter" attitude as Americans like to put it. You have to go out and explore your goals rather than expecting everything to fall right into your lap. Be a little bit more aggressive or assertive as Tweety put it. Take matters into your own hands. Do your research be it on the internet or by e-mailing/calling schools and program co-ordinators directly, call whoever you need to call, ask as many people as you should ask, ... be more pro-active in fulfilling your dreams.
This journey to advanced standing has definitely taught me a lot of lessons and has for sure refined my character to a great extent. I hope everyone sees this as a life-learning experience and maybe an enlightening process (I know it is hard to see it that way if you still have your feet wet with Board exams, applications, interviews and all ... but one day you will). Remember, it's not the destination, it's the journey. If you let the journey to advanced standing GET THE BEST OF YOU, it can make you miserable ... try to MAKE THE BEST OF IT instead! Learn some lessons, overcome some challenges and more importantly, try to make some friends on the way … don’t rush it …
Great post Tweety. Thanks for your input.
Good Luck everyone!

Thanks to all of you...
really motivating.. to all.. to never give up...
SDN.. once again.. to the rescue...
and the experienced.. people.. pouring out their experiences...
what better way...
:thumbup:

nice 2 hear ur words for people like me
i have a low gpa too
can u mail me those 3 colleges which donot even factor in gpa
my mail [email protected]
sdn needs people like u with helping hands
thanks in advance
NileBDS said:
Hey swa74.
I hope it helps.
Good Luck.

Guys,

I thought i would share some of my views regarding admission. I totally agree with nilebds. take the proactive approach.

I would like to share the term FMEA with you. coz' this delas with how to tackle the problem in advance and take a pro-active approach. Failure Mode Effect Analysis (FMEA) is a proactive technique which helps us identify the wrong steps which we might be taking during the process of acheiving something. you think of the steps which need to be taken and outline them and with a bunch of think-tankers discuss the flaws in those steps. basically u use the brainstoming sessions to come out with better ideas and the flaws in the steps. and this can be applied to any field. for next year writedown what all u need to do to get an admission. stats, experience, networking etc and beofre putting the cycle in motion, call the program co-ordinators and ask them regarding whether these steps are good enough to secure a seat their school next year. they provide you with the best input and might comeup with some changes in your steps. Even SDN members will be of great help in giving the best ideas with their enormous knowledge. after you make all the changes, put the cycle in motion and you will come out with the best possible result (in this case admission). remember guys, u still have time if ur plannind to give exam in summer and also time to improve ur resume. it has also got the advantage of devoloping a rapport with program co-ordinators and they always will be willing act as a student mentors.
guys, this is just my opinion as FMEA is a very successful method being utilized in every field to acheive good results is being taught in every administration school on how to plan things properly.
thought, i will share this information with all the SDN members. After all this is the site to share with as i have gained a lot from this site. :) :thumbup: ;)