Anyone know any neurologists who work in the tech industry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DerpyNeuroMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a tech background -- would like to stay on the clinical side for the most part but am curious about getting plugged in to industry at some point in my career, at least to some degree. Not really sure what that path would look like at this point

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I know several neurologists who left clinical medicine for industry, most left at the height of the pandemic, or shortly after. Haven't closely kept in touch with any since they left. All were fellowship trained, most had worked for at least 3-5 years as an attending. These folks are "medical directors" of their subspecialty/region at different companies. A few went from fellowship to postdoc to industry (MD/PhD background), and are now chief medical officers of companies. I don't know much about the industry track, but your best bet is to talk to someone who went that route and pick their brain. If you live in a region with lots of industry jobs, thats easier to do. Some academic institutions have affiliated industry fellowships you can apply to, but these are probably rare and I'm personally not sure of the value.

The main hurdle I see is once you leave for a W2 industry job its going to be tough to come back to clinical medicine. If you're interested in keeping clinical skills, you'd need to make sure to keep a small foot in the clinical door, otherwise I think you'll lose skills pretty fast and the door will close. These are demanding jobs just like clinical medicine so its not like you can do 50% industry 50% clinical work. Hope that helps

Reactions: 1 user